Gransnet forums

Chat

Bus passes

(84 Posts)
seasidelady Fri 10-Mar-17 11:24:07

I would like to find out if the senior 's who get the great gift of a bus pass, like myself,
Think it woul be a idea for councils to charge once a year for this, I would not mind paying a payment of £20.00 to help with Social care, & NHS.
I have often heard young people, & Bus drivers make a off remark about us getting a free trip.
Our area used to charge £25.00 a year for a pass, & you only got the fare half price,
So what do you think of this.

Seasidelady

paddyann Sat 18-Mar-17 23:47:06

bus pass at 60 here ,I didn't apply for one as I dont often use the bus.For people who do they are a godsend,we had a friend sadly no longer with us who hopped on buses and travelled the country ,a different place every few days for lunch.He was a widower and would probably have sat at home in front of the TV otherwise .Instead he was out and about and meeting new people .I'm sure many find the pass a lifeline

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Mar-17 22:53:44

No, overthehill, I'm a mere babe* of 62, so four more years to wait until I get my bus pass.

* I wish! [grin

overthehill Sat 18-Mar-17 21:04:03

Maggiemaybe surely you have a bus pass don't you?

Izabella Sat 18-Mar-17 11:37:16

Cornergran a good question. To give you an idea it was my pension day last week. My account after paying all bills and food is a balance of £34 until next month.

gillybob Fri 17-Mar-17 11:17:27

I agree Eloethan but the cost of travelling by Metro and Bus around here for young people and families is ridiculous. Surely there could be some kind of compromise.

Eloethan Fri 17-Mar-17 11:13:08

I have noticed that "small charges" soon turn into bigger charges and then much bigger charges.

I use my freedom pass a lot. If I did not have it, I would probably think twice about regularly travelling outside of my local area. I think it is important for older people to be encouraged to keep active and take an interest in cultural and social events going on around them. Physical and mental health will deteriorate if people become less likely to venture further than the local shops.

TriciaF Fri 17-Mar-17 11:01:13

Gillybob and Trisher - that's interesting, we may go back there eventually.
I used to love getting on the bus to Newcastle with someone else and saying "Two to Toon please!"

Badenkate Thu 16-Mar-17 17:28:51

I do enjoy going for free on top of the double decker buses when we go to London. And I'm afraid I sulk terribly if I don't get the front seat blush

Maggiemaybe Thu 16-Mar-17 16:47:39

Stop it now, overthehill grin I've just walked over two miles to the dentist and over two miles back to save the fiver it would have cost me on the bus. Looking on the bright side, I suppose it does at least keep me fit.

overthehill Thu 16-Mar-17 16:26:27

Sorry going to make you all jealous now. We live in London so get free travel on the excellent bus service but not only that we also travel free on the London Underground, the Overground, Dockland Light Railway and certain Network Rail stations.

Although we don't pay for travel, we go up town a lot and buy food and drink at London prices and help keep that economy ticking over.

Would I be prepared to pay? Not volunteerily as once charges creep in they always go up.

If they cancelled the freedom pass I guess lots of people like us would either stop travelling or go back to using our cars which means more congestion.

angelab Thu 16-Mar-17 14:23:14

Can I just point out that, even if you have a bus pass, nothing is stopping you from paying for the occasional trip if you would prefer to pay something. Using the pass isn't compulsory smile

Blinko Thu 16-Mar-17 13:43:37

Maybe a 'well off pensioner' would be one who pays the higher rate of income tax?

trisher Thu 16-Mar-17 12:16:41

We must be closer than I thought gillybob I've got a bus pass and a £12 Metro pass. I don't know how much the Metro pass costs to administrate. It used to be £25 and was still a bargain. I wouldn't mind paying a set amount each journey, as it is I know my 2 passes must save me around £1000 a year.

gillybob Thu 16-Mar-17 11:02:00

Whilst I don't (I am 55 and probably won't ever) qualify for a bus pass the system here in The NE these days TriciaF is that the bus pass is free and enables free bus travel throughout the region after 09.30. To use the Metro and Ferry you pay a once a year fee of £12. My dad has always said that he thinks there should be a charge per trip but it would be a guaranteed vote loser so no-one would dare suggest it.

grannysyb Thu 16-Mar-17 08:56:27

I had to apply for my Freedom pass and use it a lot. I think admin costs of people paying a small amount towards it would outweigh the benefit. I think if government went money towards it they should put it on the tax bill as a "benefit in kind" and then only the better off would pay towards it. However bus passes mean people get out and about and contribute to the economy and also keep buses running in rural areas

cornergran Wed 15-Mar-17 23:53:01

I wonder what is meant by well off pensioners. I asked my MP for a definition and he couldn't give me one. Can anyone else do better? Is there a generally accepted definition? Serious question, I'd love to know.

Izabella Wed 15-Mar-17 20:29:31

I get incensed by well off pensioners saying they would contribute towards this. My bus pass is my life line and without it trips would not happen most of the time. If I had to pay or it was withdrawn in the future I would be stuck. We are rural, and there is only so far I can get on a bike.

Witzend Wed 15-Mar-17 10:59:00

We get the fantastic London Freedom Pass, which gives free travel on buses, underground and (after 9.30) trains.
But I do often think it's unfair that people,like us, who could afford to pay, should get free travel when younger people who are struggling with hefty mortgages/rent, childcare, etc., don't. Dh and I would be prepared to pay a fair bit for the sheer convenience of the FP.

OTOH, a point that is rarely made is that at least around here, they do keep a lot of cars off the roads and out of the car parks. I use my car far less since I've had the FP and I know of many others the same.

However we have friends and relatives in rural parts of Devon and Yorkshire who hardly ever have the opportunity to use their bus passes, except when they're staying with us or somewhere else with plenty of buses.

SusieB50 Sun 12-Mar-17 22:44:45

I use my Freedom pass most days. I don't drive and need pick up my various grandchildren from school two days a week when their parents are working . I visit my 94 year old mum twice a week ,do her shopping and collect prescitions . I would certainly not be able to pay the costly fares on my meagre pension .Without me my children would not be able to work and my mother would need social services support so I consider the Freedom pass cost effective, but I would be happy to pay a yearly £20.

cornergran Sun 12-Mar-17 21:41:41

Interesting, maggie, I do hope bus passes will continue to be available at state retirement age, thinking about it that in itself must have reduced the overall cost. It would be a sad day for many older people if they couldn't have free or very reduced price travel.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Mar-17 18:48:16

Oh, I forgot to add the link to the report I was referring to:

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/09/scrapping-free-bus-travel-older-people-cost

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Mar-17 18:14:36

According to at least one report, cornergran, every pound spent on the senior pass actually benefits society and the wider economy to the tune of £2.87. No doubt other studies will contradict this, but it sounds reasonable. I know friends of mine who have their pass say they get out a lot more because of it, which can only be of benefit to the economy and to their own well-being. I would certainly go into town more often if I had a pass, which would be good news for the local cafes and shops if not for my purse!

GrandmaMoira Sun 12-Mar-17 16:16:02

I wouldn't mind paying a small annual fee for my bus pass but am not sure whether the administrative costs of this would be worth it. I would go out less if I had to pay fares, even half price. Now I'm living on my own it would be easy to get isolated. I don't like bus travel as buses are so crowded and often there are arguments, but without a car it's the only way to get around.

Blinko Sun 12-Mar-17 15:35:03

Elrel, I'd love a meet up sometime. Shall I message you?

cornergran Sun 12-Mar-17 14:03:20

sorry, Local not Loal