Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Easter Eggs

(244 Posts)
Yorkshiregel Tue 04-Apr-17 11:34:19

Just heard that Cadbury chocolate factory are dropping the Easter from Easter Eggs. Obviously so that they can sell them to other religions.

IMO this is not right. Easter is a Christian celebration, and this is a Christian country. We celebrate Lent, Easter, Whit Sunday and Christmas as we have always done.

I for one will not be buying Cadbury eggs (now made in America) anymore. This is all about Greed!

gillybob Tue 04-Apr-17 11:49:03

This is disgusting. They ARE Easter Eggs ! No matter what the PC brigade think. They are chocolate eggs given at EASTER. angry

Just like presents given at Christmas are Christmas presents and gifts for birthdays are birthday presents. Grrrrrrr

yggdrasil Tue 04-Apr-17 12:03:04

Easter is not a Christian celebration, it is about Eostre, the goddess of Spring
Originally the eggs (actually of ground nesting birds) were
believed to be left by the Hare sacred to Eostre. This was stolen be the early church and became corrupted to the easter bunny delivering eggs.
The correct name for the festival is Christ's passion and
resurrection Sunday.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 12:14:13

But they are still given to children at EASTER, yggdrasil so there is nothing wrong with the name "Easter eggs".

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:14:30

The Christian Church is rather like England in that it goes out and steals what belongs to others and then shouts blue murder that it is theirs.

Nowhere, but nowhere, are Easter Eggs or the Easter Bunny mentioned in the bible. It is very likely it was stolen from pagan traditions current around the time of the Council of Nicaea in 325 as part of the political considerations attempting to peacefully incorporate the poor pagans into the Christian Church.

The tradition of Easter Eggs belong to all who wish to have that tradition in their lives including, but not exclusively, Christians.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:15:39

Sorry Yggdrasil, I hadn't seen your post but we are saying much the same.

sunseeker Tue 04-Apr-17 12:35:28

Whether the tradition was "stolen" from the pagan goddess of Spring or not, Easter eggs are given to children at Easter, why would anyone want to take that tradition (albeit a relatively new one) away from children. If a Christian family want to use them to celebrate the resurrection of Christ why shouldn't they, or have we become so politically correct that we have to take the fun out of everything. Personally I haven't bought any Cadbury products since they went back on their word to keep open the factory in Somerset.

suzied Tue 04-Apr-17 12:39:20

I bet most Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc in this country have no problem with the word "Easter" on a chocolate egg.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 12:42:23

Cadbury's could make chocolate items called "Hannukah chocs" or "Eid candies" if they felt that Easter eggs were not a universal treat.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Apr-17 12:50:05

The "Easter" holiday is just a name to some and, to be honest, even though it is thought of as the most important time for Christians - even more important than Christmas - I really doubt that huge numbers will go to church on that day.

No one is taking anything away from children for heavens sake. Neither is anyone saying you may not call them Easter Eggs. It is so called Christians - often just people who want the traditions of their youth never to change - who are trying to stop others calling them whatever suits them. Why on earth does it matter to them what others do.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 12:53:26

Why does it matter to Cadbury's?

rosesarered Tue 04-Apr-17 13:30:19

That's alright, I dropped Cadburys chocolate long ago ( all it tastes of now is highly sugared laxative chocolate.)
No other religions will be remotely worried that Easter eggs and The Easter Bunny have the word Easter in them, so a pointless excercise in dropping the word.All they have done is make sure that a number of Christians now drop all Cadburys products.

Ana Tue 04-Apr-17 13:32:02

Yes, plenty of other chocolate Easter eggs out there!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:05:56

But if it is pointless that in one line they did not mention Easter why the argument by Cadbury's. I understand it is frequently mentioned elsewhere. Surely this England, UK or Britain - whatever you feel you are defending - is worth more than such a puerile discussion. Cadbury was a Quaker and they don't celebrate Easter or Christmas but Cadbury's have been referring to Easter ever since they started. His great-granddaughter has said "I am glad to see that Cadbury and the National Trust are welcoming those of 'all faiths and none' to their event regardless of whether they call it Easter or not." That's all. Christian's do not own chocolate eggs.

I am expecting to hear reports that churches are overflowing on Good Friday and Easter Sunday with this sudden defence of a faith few adhere to these days. And just how stupid is T May getting involved with such a baseless argument.

nigglynellie Tue 04-Apr-17 14:15:28

Other European countries stole what belonged to others as well GG, but of course we don't mention that! If that was a pop at Gibraltar for the umpteenth time the rock was ceded to Britain in a LEGAL treaty in perpetuity (for ever) unless the people wish differently, bit like Scotland, a country I'm sure you feel that the will of the people is paramount! Or are the people of Gibraltar somehow different?
I haven't bought Cadburys chocolate for years on principle, and this saga just reinforces that stance. Who cares where any of these festivals come from, as most religions even pagan ones intermingle with each other, Christmas being another example. Easter is part of the Christian calender, we are a Christian country,and Easter should be celebrated as such

nigglynellie Tue 04-Apr-17 14:20:41

Mrs May was asked her opinion, not getting embroiled! If she'd said no comment or what a load of rubbish, think with what glee that would been leapt on! She was asked her opinion and gave it as she and the rest of us are entitled to do, or doesn't free speech extend to her?!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:27:44

They did Niggly but we were talking about this country so it seemed reasonable just to concentrate on that. Also, I don't really feel the need to tell other countries what to do, any more than I don't feel the need to tell people what to call their chocolate eggs.

Easter is part of the Christian calender, we are a Christian country,and Easter should be celebrated as such

So there will be at least you in your local church on Sunday - the church will be pleased.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 14:39:09

I bet most Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc in this country have no problem with the word "Easter" on a chocolate egg. Spot on, suzied. Nor will most Christians worry if it's missing from one bit of publicity - it's all a bit of a storm in an egg cup, as someone suggested on the lunchtime news.

Our local churches are actually pretty busy over the Easter weekend, GracesGranMK2. Do you really know any that will be totally empty? confused

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:39:15

Easter, Eostre - whatever anyone wants to call it - Eastger/Eostre eggs belong at Easter/Eostre and who wants Cadbury eggs anyway!!

So there will be at least you in your local church on Sunday - the church will be pleased.
Lots of churches will be packed - it's the most important date in the Christian calendar. smile

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:39:59

Even Eastger wink
or Eggster

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Apr-17 14:46:10

and who wants Cadbury eggs anyway!!

Oh, I do, Jalima - I've got a serious creme egg habit (even though they're not what they once were sad).

rosesarered Tue 04-Apr-17 14:47:57

The church near me is busy every Sunday and it's standing room only on Easter Sunday, so you are out of touch GGM2

rosesarered Tue 04-Apr-17 14:49:52

I want a Sainsbury Easter Bunny........now that is yummy, start with the ears!

NanaandGrampy Tue 04-Apr-17 14:55:50

I shall be buying umpteen Easter Eggs. I will ALWAYS call them Easter Eggs because I want to. Nothing to do with religion just tradition...the tradition of my family and the country I was born and raised in.

I doubt any one in the U.K. IS offended by them being called Easter eggs and if you are - get a life !!

So, Cadburys, if you're reading this..... not only have you spoilt a treat as they now taste horrible but you can take your marketing ploy and shove it !! I shall be holding firm on my Easter Egg purchases ! What next .... no cross on my hot cross buns :-)

sunseeker Tue 04-Apr-17 14:58:08

As far as I am aware they have always been called Easter eggs so why change that now. As for churches being empty over Easter - my own church is full most Sundays and at Easter actually have people standing. When was the last time you actually looked in a church GGM2?