Gransnet forums

Chat

Any ideas for 10th anniversary present for DH?

(53 Posts)
Pigeon Tue 09-May-17 11:08:21

Hi

Please help me someone!

It's our 10th wedding anniversary (tin!) next week and even though we've been together for 17 years, I still struggle to know what to buy my husband on occasions like these.

Part of the problem is that I have no imagination - I am a very mediocre present buyer at the best of times - but there is the added problem that DH is notoriously hard to buy for.

I know that he prefers useful/practical gifts rather than indulgent, frivolous things, but apart from that I'm at a loss. He doesn't wear jewelry, isn't one for clothes, man-gadgets or similar and has few hobbies - although he does like to read and walks a lot (not at the same time grin)

I've Googled, but come up with nothing except the usual commemorative tat, which he won't appreciate.

As always, out of desperation, I have asked him if there's anything he would like. Not very romantic I know, but I'd rather do this than buy something he doesn't like, especially as he's been known to return unwanted gifts before. But this hasn't helped. He just says what he usually does - he'll give it some thought, and then he doesn't. Or he just says he doesn't need/want anything.

He really isn't intending to be unhelpful - he's the loveliest, kindest man I've ever met - just not very materialistic and will probably thinking he doesn't want me to waste my money.

But this anniversary is really important to me. We are second-time-arounders and didn't get married until we were nearly 50 so we may not celebrate as many milestone anniversaries as some, so I'd like to mark the occasion.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any ideas very gratefully received

mumofmadboys Tue 09-May-17 11:29:28

What about some good quality walking socks or some walking maps of local area- maybe the waterproof ones? I too am a practical person!!

mumofmadboys Tue 09-May-17 11:30:35

Perhaps you could put a present in an old tin and wrap it up!!

jusnoneed Tue 09-May-17 11:44:42

This is why we don't do birthdays/anniversary's lol. Too much stress.

With no idea how much you want to spend, does he have a Kindle?

Pigeon Tue 09-May-17 11:51:07

mumofmadboys I've done the walking socks/map thing so many times! Love the tin can idea - just need something to put in it?

jusnoneed he does have a Kindle

But thanks to both of you.
x

Christinefrance Tue 09-May-17 11:52:34

Weekend away in a good walking area. Amazon voucher, a bit boring but I love to treat myself to the latest novel when otherwise I would have to wait until the price came down.
What about a donation in his name to a favourite charity.

Grannyknot Tue 09-May-17 11:54:57

Expensive walking boots that he may covet, but not want to spend the money on? (You may need a bigger tin!)

SueDonim Tue 09-May-17 13:51:18

Depending on how much you want to spend something personalised like this is nice. www.notonthehighstreet.com/lisamariedesigns/product/personalised-home-antique-map-print

Lots of other personalised gifts on the website, too!

mumofmadboys Tue 09-May-17 16:02:23

Could you book to go together on a HF walking holiday? They are excellent and there are 3 different guided walks each day so you could go on different ones if he is more of a walker than you are. Lovely old country house type hotels with great food. Can do long weekends or weeks. In lots of different places throughout the country

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 18:12:04

Compass - with both your initials entwined or not (as you did say you didn't like commemorative tat)

suzied Tue 09-May-17 18:17:04

Plan a lovely walk for the day. Have meal at nice pub. Or stay overnight in a lovely country location. Give him a photo pf the 2 of you. You don't have to buy "stuff". Make a little cheque book with some "treats " in it - candlelit dinner, movie night, country walk, breakfast in bed you can print them off the internet and he can "cash " them in during the ear.

suzied Tue 09-May-17 18:17:33

year even

NanaandGrampy Tue 09-May-17 19:24:54

I was going to compass too!! Cherrytree !

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-May-17 19:30:27

Great minds Nana&Grampy

seacliff Tue 09-May-17 20:07:57

My first thought was some sort of "experience" day. Something he'd be interested in, but what? My OH had a drive a steam train experience at Swanage and loved it.

How about booking a nice B & B or self catering cottage for 1 or 2 nights in a beautiful area not too far away, but that is fairly new to him. You could plan a days walking together, followed by a nice pub meal?

Sorry just seen someone else has suggested similar. The guided walk is a great idea, as the leader usually has lots of interesting information about the area.

tanith Tue 09-May-17 20:08:01

We often plan either a day out or a few days away. Have up trying to buy each other presents when it became stressful.

M0nica Tue 09-May-17 21:04:06

If there is no object he wants, what about a lovely treat? Night out, lovely meal and nice hotel, revisit a place you went to when you first got married, go to a concert/play/musical.

For our 45th wedding anniversary , our children booked and paid for 2 nights in a beautiful B&B for us near Hay-on-Wye, gave us a large book token each and we had a wonderful weekend in the book capital of the world. For bookaholics what could have been better?

Tizliz Tue 09-May-17 22:26:01

I bought my OH an expensive magnifying glass and he uses it all the time and says it is one of his best presents.

vampirequeen Wed 10-May-17 10:36:02

If you're still 'active' how about cooking him a nice meal, a good bottle of wine, yourself wrapped in a red ribbon and a fur mitten.

It would be a hell of a night to remember and he'll never have had a gift like it grin

MawBroon Wed 10-May-17 10:39:32

The juxtaposition of the 2 previous posts made me snigger smile!! Thank you!
blush

Dharmacat Wed 10-May-17 10:59:33

A walking holiday sounds good - how about Cornwall with the history of tin mining? (Put the invitation/booking in an old tin as suggested by mumsofmadboys.)

damewithaname Wed 10-May-17 11:22:27

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last week. Also been together for 17 yrs ? I feel that "gifts" are pointless. Something that will create an everlasting memory is far better for this celebration. Unfotu Nateby we don't have the luxury of a GP to help with looking after the kiddos so what I did was emptied our little zozo hut out, put a table and chairs in there and decorated it nicely with silver white and black accents. I made an Italian dinner from starters to dessert. We had a special little dinner with no distractions and we're able to relax as we didn't have to worry about collecting the kiddos or driving home.. sometimes something simple can be so special ?

conners13 Wed 10-May-17 11:48:39

Really fab watering can that can be an ornament too

Penelopebee Wed 10-May-17 12:04:50

I got mine a kitten, not practical I know! He's never had a pet before and is not the father of my child. The kitten opened up something in him, the chance to care and love something so dependant. He gained a whole new aspect to his life. Now seven years later it's a joy to see them casually cuddled up on the sofa together

radicalnan Wed 10-May-17 12:08:25

I had no idea that you could keep husbands for 10 years..................

Go for an experience and make a memory, stuff is only stuff and most men just buy the things they really want.

Mine always wanted stomach pumps no idea why.