Gransnet forums

Chat

Any ideas for 10th anniversary present for DH?

(54 Posts)
Pigeon Tue 09-May-17 11:08:21

Hi

Please help me someone!

It's our 10th wedding anniversary (tin!) next week and even though we've been together for 17 years, I still struggle to know what to buy my husband on occasions like these.

Part of the problem is that I have no imagination - I am a very mediocre present buyer at the best of times - but there is the added problem that DH is notoriously hard to buy for.

I know that he prefers useful/practical gifts rather than indulgent, frivolous things, but apart from that I'm at a loss. He doesn't wear jewelry, isn't one for clothes, man-gadgets or similar and has few hobbies - although he does like to read and walks a lot (not at the same time grin)

I've Googled, but come up with nothing except the usual commemorative tat, which he won't appreciate.

As always, out of desperation, I have asked him if there's anything he would like. Not very romantic I know, but I'd rather do this than buy something he doesn't like, especially as he's been known to return unwanted gifts before. But this hasn't helped. He just says what he usually does - he'll give it some thought, and then he doesn't. Or he just says he doesn't need/want anything.

He really isn't intending to be unhelpful - he's the loveliest, kindest man I've ever met - just not very materialistic and will probably thinking he doesn't want me to waste my money.

But this anniversary is really important to me. We are second-time-arounders and didn't get married until we were nearly 50 so we may not celebrate as many milestone anniversaries as some, so I'd like to mark the occasion.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any ideas very gratefully received

SueH49 Wed 13-Nov-19 04:53:00

Would he use a walking pole? Maybe you could get one of those and embellish it with badges of places he has walked.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:23:24

Easy, as he likes to read: give him a book token!

Or a really good reading lamp.

boss567 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:25:58

Often I think what to give to my husband. I always look at what he doesn’t have, what will end. Last time I gave a wallet. Very cool thing. You can see it here.
leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-mens-leather-wallets/

seacliff Thu 11-May-17 16:35:30

Lucky man .... good job all the OH's don't read this site!!

Norah Thu 11-May-17 15:25:15

Yes, Vampirequeen is spot on. Well and truly what DH wants and not a budget buster!

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 14:51:26

I asked DH if he would put three paving stones down in the garden for me over the weekend (I have been waiting weeks) and he said "what will I get in return if I do" then winked.

I said "If you do you will get fed, if you don't you can starve". He looked somewhat deflated. grin

gillybob Thu 11-May-17 14:49:04

Mine would too Pigeon wink

Pigeon Thu 11-May-17 14:09:23

Thanks for all these great ideas. Of all the suggestions, I have an inkling he would prefer the one from vampirequeen!

As it turns out we had a good talk about things last night and we agreed that he will go off to town and have a look round for something he really wants. Then I will go and buy it. If he can't find anything, he has a 'virtual' gift voucher lasting until his birthday later this year, after which it will be invalid!

It's always been traditional in my family to buy presents that are reasonably lavish but are a surprise and must be given on the day of the event. That's why I find it so hard to come to terms with his approach which is virtually the opposite.

But just so he has something on the day itself, I will get him a good bottle of, so we will still celebrate. Hopefully we will be able to incorporate some of vampirequeen's suggestion. I leave you to guess which bit blush

Magrithea Thu 11-May-17 08:23:44

www.croftytin.co.uk/10th-anniversary-gifts.asp?types=10th+Wedding+Anniversary+%3E+For+Him

Diggingdoris Wed 10-May-17 23:19:18

How about suggesting a new place to walk, but arrange an afternoon tea at the end of it. It will need a bit of planning but will be memorable.
My husband bought me a rose called Special Anniversary for our 20th one.

00mam00 Wed 10-May-17 23:12:28

GRANNEE it was our 50th anniversary this year (DH had no idea of the date or year). I told people to look out for my name on the honours list for Services to Womankind, by keeping him off the marriage market for 50 years.

grannypiper Wed 10-May-17 20:32:57

Book about the Cornish Tin Mines. What do you think he will buy for you ? flowers

Coolgran65 Wed 10-May-17 19:56:51

Happy Anniversary Redrobin51

newnanny mentioned the rose bush called anniversary.

I bought this as an anniversary gift for my dh. He isn't really into gardening but appreciated the thought. We were in our 50s and it was our first wedding anniversary although we'd been together 10 years.

I put it into a nice pot and in the early hours I placed it on the landing. It was the first thing he saw when he headed for the bathroom in the morning.

It's Now, 11 years later, it is flourishing in our front garden, and at present has several nice fat buds. It's a pink bloom and is beautifully scented.

Something like this:
www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/shop/view/299-Special-Anniversary-Hybrid-Tea-Rose

Could go in the garden or in a planter.

Redrobin51 Wed 10-May-17 19:38:57

It is a quandry. If he is a walker he might appreciate a custom made map from the Ordnance Survey that can be centred from exactly where you live and be personalised they are only about £17 and would make quite a unique present which hopefully he would see you have taken some trouble over. Happoy anniversary for next week. My anniversary today by the way.x

Tizliz Wed 10-May-17 18:02:37

MawBroon not quite sure what you are suggesting ???

1974cookie Wed 10-May-17 17:54:28

As your beloved likes walking, what about one of those Llama Treks where you go walking with a Llama on a lead ?? They look great fun ?.

gillybob Wed 10-May-17 16:55:48

My DH has one of those phoenix he used to have a "man drawer" but his "treasures" are now relegated to a small tin.

gillybob Wed 10-May-17 16:54:19

MawBroon Thank you so much for pointing out those 2 side by side posts. (The magnifying glass by TizLiz and the one by VQ suggesting wrapping herself up in a red ribbon and fur mitten)

I would never have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, and now have a mental picture which is very funny. grin

Skweek1 Wed 10-May-17 16:47:57

Traditional UK Anniversaries have 10 as Tin/aluminium or US Fiamond jewellery, I'm sure you can find some fun ideas based on those. \Have a great celebration.

phoenix Wed 10-May-17 15:31:43

A few Christmases ago I bought Mr P a "man tin" it had the words "Man Tin" embossed on the top, and on the side it said "the place where allen keys go to die". grin

ExaltedWombat Wed 10-May-17 14:40:21

He doesn't think marking occasions with a present is important. Men don't. And the ones who say they do are probably just humouring their wives. That's OK. Cook his favourite meal and give him a big kiss. And make sure he knows YOU want a present (if you do think it's important).

ethelwulf Wed 10-May-17 14:35:15

I think you reach a certain time of life when "experiences" make a much better gift than anything else. Dinner at a nice restaurant, a weekend away, a theatre trip etc. The list is endless. Perhaps something linked to his interest in the great outdoors/walking?.

Grannee Wed 10-May-17 14:04:29

radicalnan - that made me laugh! I have had one for nearly 45 years - there should be some kind of medal!

newnanny Wed 10-May-17 13:38:06

Rose bushes for the garden. I think there is a rose bush called anniversary.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-May-17 12:59:43

My dear late husband was like that too - not materialistic at all. As he likes reading what about a book token? Not very imaginative but at least he could choose something which appeals.