Gransnet forums

Chat

Times they are a-changing.

(33 Posts)
annsixty Wed 16-Aug-17 16:49:26

I went to my bank today, the first time in many months.
My financial dealings are simple, money goes in and I spend it.
Direct debits are set up for most things and debit and credit cards deal with others,
Today I wanted to transfer some money to another account and pay in my PB winnings,£25 .
The place was deserted for once and at the counter 3 of the 4 cashier points had the blinds down.
The very nice lady manager came up to me and asked how she could help. I explained and she whipped up her i-pad and did the transaction there in the middle of the bank. When I commented she said that is the way they act now. Perhaps you all knew this but my flabber was ghasted,To pay in the cheque she took me to a machine which swallowed the cheque and gave me a receipt with a "photogragh" of the cheque.
It only needs one major worldwide catastrophic breakdown of technology and we are all in a lot of trouble.

Swanny Thu 17-Aug-17 10:57:15

I will not use ATMs in the street and I get 'cash back' when shopping. I have a local branch of my bank within walking distance, which I visit when occasionally necessary to speak to a cashier in person, eg before making unusual (for me) transactions. The details are then noted on my account such as who I'm making a large payment to or where I'm going abroad. I always check my statement and it all works for me (smile)

bikergran Thu 17-Aug-17 11:20:07

Not sure if your aware but you can pay money into certain bank accounts through the Post Office.

I take cash to post office and put it in my x account as the Branch of x is now closed, it goes in instantly.

Oldwoman70 Thu 17-Aug-17 11:27:53

I have been using online banking for years, however I don't like the ATMs, having read too many stories about how they can have fake fronts put on them. I rarely use cash but when I do want to make a cash withdrawal I prefer to see a real person.

Synonymous Sat 19-Aug-17 03:54:32

The last bank in our town is set to close on 1st October this year making banking as we once knew it just a part of history. I am told by my neighbour that this is all part of the move to a cashless society where the money supply is tightly controlled making it much easier for creaming off a percentage of everyone's balance when the need is felt by the powers that be. Apparently all 'they' need to do is flick a screen! Presumably taxation will be more of a doddle too although undoubtedly some bright spark will find a way round that one.
Those of us who are sufficiently bolshy will probably revert to barter! hmm

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 06:42:03

Internet banking is so much easier I haven't used a real bank for years and I always use ATM s I do use a combination of cash and a debit card

I expect all our banks will be gone soon they are almost surplus to requiments

grannylyn65 Sun 20-Aug-17 14:59:55

Yes wot, but not all !

GillT57 Sun 20-Aug-17 15:52:40

Most banks have a machine for paying in cheques and for paying in cash ( well, HSBC do anyway), so this is a solution to the emptying piggy bank scenario! Straight into your account, and all done.