Gransnet forums

Chat

Dyslexics CAN

(27 Posts)
trisher Tue 19-Sep-17 09:11:40

Some of you may know of my long term connection with dyslexia through my son and my teaching. I bothers me that so many people misunderstand and underestimate the abilities of dyslexics. Dyslexics have physical problems with reading and/or writing and/or spelling . They use, appreciate and understand language as well or even better than most of us. They develop strategies to deal with their problems which develop other abilities. My son for example has excellent aural skills and can absorb more information from the spoken word than I can. He is an award winning writer and director
So come on, I know GNers have dyslexic family members, please post about their skills and achievements and let's kill this idea that they are somehow less able than the rest of us, they are different but equal.

M0nica Tue 19-Sep-17 17:31:31

Both my friend's children have dyslexia. The first one is quite severely dyslexic.

Both, when assessed by an educational psychologist, had IQs that put them among the brightest 2%of population in the country. One went to university and has had a successful career since, the other got an apprenticeship with a major IT company, completed it early because he was so bright and he too has a very successful career.