Gransnet forums

Chat

Shops pushing for your email address

(39 Posts)
Jacquiwren Wed 18-Oct-17 12:00:16

Nearly everywhere I buy from lately in shops ask for my email address to 'email receipt to me'! I realise this is for marketing purposes.

I find this really irritating as feel it is an imposition and annoying having to unsubscribe constantly when emails arrive.

Argos yesterday - just said no thanks till receipt is fine. Took item back to Screwfix, reimbursed onto my card, no details asked for then went to buy a £2 item and asked for my name and postcode. When I asked why said in case wanted to return it!

I just fine the whole practice underhanded. Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I turning into a grumpy old woman! Sorry for the moan.

Morgana Thu 19-Oct-17 11:56:33

Great idea to have a separate email mail address for all the junk. Thanks Rusty bear. Like nana and grampy I find receipts on e mail useful. Got a watch replaced last year because could easily find receipt on email.

kooklafan Thu 19-Oct-17 12:22:22

I think worse than that is the texts which say "to stop receiving these texts, reply STOP to - - - - - "
I replied STOP once only to find they carried on and I actually got more !!!

icanhandthemback Thu 19-Oct-17 12:22:56

Great idea to have a separate email address for shopping. The whole family could use it and all the receipts would be in the right place. Most companies use a separate email for receipts and marketing so setting up a rule in your email account would certainly help filter the junk. They can have my info for marketing, every so often I get a real bargain out of it and I'd sooner it was by email than snail mail.

Nanatoone Thu 19-Oct-17 12:29:11

Shops who do this without a whole lot of security will soon be in massive trouble as GDPR is set to replace the DPA (May 18) and the consequences of using personal data and the misuse and storage of it becomes a huge concern. Fines of 20M euro will be common,

minxie Thu 19-Oct-17 12:43:11

Why do you have to make up excuses/ email addresses. Just say no

sarahellenwhitney Thu 19-Oct-17 12:50:24

Delete them.

codfather Thu 19-Oct-17 12:58:26

Doesn't bother me! If I don't want the emails, I just get my email client to block them. Be careful about unsubscribing as you are confirming an email address so only do it if you know the company.

On the plus side, I get a receipt emailed which lasts longer than a till receipt which fades in a couple of days or so, and they might send a voucher or special offer which I might like.

BRedhead59 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:14:17

B and Q yesterday - Wednesday because oldies get a discount on Wednesday.
I purchased two bird feeders that turned out to be slightly different one was 3.99 the other 15.99. A con in itself most people wouldn't notice or wouldn't be bothered to return it.
I also brought other things. I checked the bill and asked for a refund on the 15.99 feeder. They asked for my postcode and address. I queried this but was told this was the system. Puts me off going in B and Q even with the discount.

Coconut Thu 19-Oct-17 13:24:30

It’s very “green” however, many companies sell your email addresses on to others so you have to remember to tick the box to say no to other “ offers”

Lindylou23 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:56:09

I never give out my mobile number, for same reason.

Myym Fri 20-Oct-17 08:23:55

I have noticed that shop assistants try to badger you into giving an email address by saying that you will be sent vouchers and notification of future offers. My reply remains the same ....
"Yes, I do have an email address, but not one that I am prepared to give you."

threexnanny Fri 20-Oct-17 09:55:14

I get a paper receipt from our B&Q and the next day they still send an e mail.

Madsad Tue 09-Jan-18 15:09:27

After you've received the receipt mark as spam. Simple