Gransnet forums

Chat

Shops pushing for your email address

(39 Posts)
Jacquiwren Wed 18-Oct-17 12:00:16

Nearly everywhere I buy from lately in shops ask for my email address to 'email receipt to me'! I realise this is for marketing purposes.

I find this really irritating as feel it is an imposition and annoying having to unsubscribe constantly when emails arrive.

Argos yesterday - just said no thanks till receipt is fine. Took item back to Screwfix, reimbursed onto my card, no details asked for then went to buy a £2 item and asked for my name and postcode. When I asked why said in case wanted to return it!

I just fine the whole practice underhanded. Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I turning into a grumpy old woman! Sorry for the moan.

Madsad Tue 09-Jan-18 15:09:27

After you've received the receipt mark as spam. Simple

threexnanny Fri 20-Oct-17 09:55:14

I get a paper receipt from our B&Q and the next day they still send an e mail.

Myym Fri 20-Oct-17 08:23:55

I have noticed that shop assistants try to badger you into giving an email address by saying that you will be sent vouchers and notification of future offers. My reply remains the same ....
"Yes, I do have an email address, but not one that I am prepared to give you."

Lindylou23 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:56:09

I never give out my mobile number, for same reason.

Coconut Thu 19-Oct-17 13:24:30

It’s very “green” however, many companies sell your email addresses on to others so you have to remember to tick the box to say no to other “ offers”

BRedhead59 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:14:17

B and Q yesterday - Wednesday because oldies get a discount on Wednesday.
I purchased two bird feeders that turned out to be slightly different one was 3.99 the other 15.99. A con in itself most people wouldn't notice or wouldn't be bothered to return it.
I also brought other things. I checked the bill and asked for a refund on the 15.99 feeder. They asked for my postcode and address. I queried this but was told this was the system. Puts me off going in B and Q even with the discount.

codfather Thu 19-Oct-17 12:58:26

Doesn't bother me! If I don't want the emails, I just get my email client to block them. Be careful about unsubscribing as you are confirming an email address so only do it if you know the company.

On the plus side, I get a receipt emailed which lasts longer than a till receipt which fades in a couple of days or so, and they might send a voucher or special offer which I might like.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 19-Oct-17 12:50:24

Delete them.

minxie Thu 19-Oct-17 12:43:11

Why do you have to make up excuses/ email addresses. Just say no

Nanatoone Thu 19-Oct-17 12:29:11

Shops who do this without a whole lot of security will soon be in massive trouble as GDPR is set to replace the DPA (May 18) and the consequences of using personal data and the misuse and storage of it becomes a huge concern. Fines of 20M euro will be common,

icanhandthemback Thu 19-Oct-17 12:22:56

Great idea to have a separate email address for shopping. The whole family could use it and all the receipts would be in the right place. Most companies use a separate email for receipts and marketing so setting up a rule in your email account would certainly help filter the junk. They can have my info for marketing, every so often I get a real bargain out of it and I'd sooner it was by email than snail mail.

kooklafan Thu 19-Oct-17 12:22:22

I think worse than that is the texts which say "to stop receiving these texts, reply STOP to - - - - - "
I replied STOP once only to find they carried on and I actually got more !!!

Morgana Thu 19-Oct-17 11:56:33

Great idea to have a separate email mail address for all the junk. Thanks Rusty bear. Like nana and grampy I find receipts on e mail useful. Got a watch replaced last year because could easily find receipt on email.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:52:33

If you can still get a receipt on paper, opt for that and say you are not interested in giving them your e-mail address.

Many receipts if printed out from a cash register these days fade so badly that they become quite illegible in a very short time and are quite useless, if you have to make a complaint. I get round this by taking a digital photo of the receipt and storing it on my computer.

If you can only get a receipt by electronic means, I would follow the suggestion already made to have a gratis e-mail address only for this kind of thing. And delete all the bumf they send you that you don't want.

JanaNana Thu 19-Oct-17 11:52:22

Had never heard of this until last year when doing some Christmas shopping.....New Look and Burton's both asked for it. I was taken by surprise but did,nt give it. Just said I prefer a paper receipt please ...and got one. Now I know this am forwarned in case asked anywhere else.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:26:08

There is no doubt that the company would use it for marketing purposes afterwards. I am amazed that companies can get round the Data Protection Act in this way.

Yes, you can no doubt unsubscribe but it may be too late - the email address may have already been shared.

I also never complete marketing surveys. A few years ago I started completing one with an offer for those who completed it to be entered into a draw with a very attractive holiday prize.

The questions were highly intrusive - what is the household income, how many children do you have, how many cars in the household, where do you like to go on holiday, etc.

It rapidly became obvious that the information would be perfect for marketing purposes. The double negatives and wording of the opt-out for them sharing the information was very confusing and I wasn't sure whether to tick the box or not.

The message is the same as that for all scams: be very wary of giving out personal information that identifies you and never provide your contact details.

Mogsmaw Thu 19-Oct-17 11:24:03

What I think many of you will be unaware of is company’s insist their staff collect emails.
I worked for a nursery/toy shop that “offered” e-reciepts and if staff didn’t get a 40% take-up they would be subject to disciplinary action.
False e-mail addresses can’t be delivered and are recorded as “hard bounces” and the assumption is you have miss-typed the address and so you have a disciplinary meeting if you have too many.
I’m presantl unemployed

Diddy1 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:22:53

I just say I havent an e mail address, or NO sometimes, depending on what mood I am in!

TLVgran48 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:17:36

What a great idea, Silverhippy!

Blinko Thu 19-Oct-17 11:08:21

Silverhippy, love that one! Well done grin

Silverhippy Thu 19-Oct-17 11:05:59

Like Teetime's DH I give false email address, usually something like [email protected], but should I have to give my real email for some reason, and then it doesn't let me unsubscribe, or they ignore my unsubscribe attempts, I use their email address as a spam dump, they then assume I have a virus sending emails out from my address and then they rapidly unsubscribe me.

GoldenAge Thu 19-Oct-17 11:00:17

When the conversation about the receipt comes up simply say you want a paper receipt there and then. If a separate conversation then arises about email addresses you have three options - say you don't have an email address, say your email address cannot receive personal emails (a business one, or tell the truth and say you think it's an intrusion by the company to ask you for this personal information and to involve you in another layer of administration which is simply to the company's benefit - i.e. it doesn't spend the money on the paper receipt, and it gains marketing information. You will find no answer to this. If you know of particular shops/companies that always ask for your email, stop the request dead before it's even made by saying you want a printed receipt on the spot.

TillyWhiz Thu 19-Oct-17 10:57:25

Just invent an e-mail address to be used on such occasions, the same with phone numbers!

Jaycee5 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:31:58

I gave Argos my email without thinking about it but he wrote it down wrong. I don't think I will if I buy from them again. The less personal info corporations have the better.

svalentine60 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:27:41

Easy to take a second to say you don't have an email address and that ends the conversation. Having said that it always annoys me to