Gransnet forums

Chat

What to collect?

(28 Posts)
bella2 Fri 22-Dec-17 09:12:35

Just wondering what other people collect? I feel like I want to ' collect' something! A hobby if you like, something small, useful and or pretty, that would bring me pleasure ( no smutty answers lol) that I could add to when I saw a different one. I would maybe have a list of ones to collect, as and when I had the money. I have other hobbies that keep me busy, so would like something that doesn't necessarily take too much time, apart from buying said items. Do others do something similar? And maybe they would be worth something in the future, whatever they might be......

Teetime Fri 22-Dec-17 09:15:00

I don't collect anything being a minimalist but if I was thinking about it I would consider;-
- powder compacts
- sewing requisites
- 17/18c wine glasses
- lace bobbins
- paper knives

does that help?

ninathenana Fri 22-Dec-17 09:18:54

Thimbles
Teaspoons (crested)
Hatpins
Paperweights

Alima Fri 22-Dec-17 09:19:34

Over thirty years ago I thought it would be a good idea to collect Pen Delphin figures. Then I got fed up having to dust them. They ended up in 2 paper boxes in the loft. Can’t give the blooming things away now. Am now firmly in the “no more stuff” camp. Sorry, can’t help you bella.

gillybob Fri 22-Dec-17 09:20:21

It depends where you live bella2 but I collect sea glass . It cost me nothing at all and I enjoy arranging it in jars and bottles . It looks lovely.

My DD collects Swarovski crystal animals (started by my DDiL who bought her first piece a few years ago) She has a lovely Little wall cabinet she displays them in .

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 09:21:10

I collect Mottoware (as does sal, I think)

And I collect small silver things. Cutlery pill boxes etc but it is a pain to keep clean.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Dec-17 09:23:54

I belong to a worldwide postcard group basically you draw a name and address out of a virtual hat and send them a postcard and similarly someone else in the world draws your name and sends you one it doesn’t have to be one you can send as many as you want to as many addresses as you want to draw, I used to collect pc’s when I was a kid and now I can get something through my letterbox other than bills

bella2 Fri 22-Dec-17 09:29:49

Thanks for your suggestions! I try to be minimalist and hate clutter, hence why im looking for something small! And as I get older I am conscious of the stuff I will leave behind once I'm gone. I don't know mottoware so will look it up. The postcard group sounds interesting too.

Bathsheba Fri 22-Dec-17 09:33:13

Do people write anything on the postcards Bluebelle? A little bit of info about who they are or where they live in the world? Or are the postcards simply addressed, to add to your collection?

J52 Fri 22-Dec-17 09:44:30

Kitty I also collected Mottoware. It now resides in boxes in the Garage! I stopped displaying it after a room refurb.
I’d almost forgotten about it!
I used to collect bow brooches, made of any material. They were easy to collect and display.

KatyK Fri 22-Dec-17 09:55:17

I used to collect teapots, thimbles and other stuff but now I realise it's just more stuff to dust so they've all gone.

glammanana Fri 22-Dec-17 10:07:35

Glass paperweights from any place that I go on holiday to just the smaller ones mainly plain coloured glass they are displayed on the bottom shelf of a display unit in my hall so they take up hardly any space at all they give me fond memories as to where I bought them from.

sunseeker Fri 22-Dec-17 10:11:10

I have a small bowl of sea shells and coral (found on the beach not taken from the sea!) which DH collected from every beach we visited - brings back lovely memories and doesn't take up much room.

Jayh Fri 22-Dec-17 10:36:20

I collect fridge magnets from places I visit on holiday and have a sizeable collection. Until recently, I had them displayed on the freezer in the kitchen but having banished that to the garage due to a kitchen makeover, I now have nowhere to stick them. ?

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 11:17:23

J52, I have boxes of the small cheap ones in the eaves and only display the bigger pieces with nice sayings on. I think I got carried away at the beginning! blush

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Dec-17 11:27:58

I collected mid century pottery,
but happily sold it all when DD was pregnant with our first DGS.
We used the moneyto buy nursery furniture and pram etc .
I loved the extra space I gained!

I do however still have a small perfume bottles which are quite pretty.

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Dec-17 11:33:16

A small collection of perfume bottles!

Also as others have posted
sea shells and pebbles in the conservatory.

kittylester Fri 22-Dec-17 11:38:21

Oh, I've got perfume bottles as well! And mid century pottery but I wouldn't call that a collection - more what I like!

judylow Fri 22-Dec-17 15:26:51

I used to collect miniature cups and saucers and tea sets but when I had to pack them away as we were having a new floor put down I decided to sell them as they took up so much space. I've recently started an enamel bird collection which I buy when they are in the sale from The Museum catalogue. They are small and very pretty.

ginny Fri 22-Dec-17 15:45:21

MYbe you shouldn’t try to decide what to collect. Have a wander around some antique / retro type shops and see if anything catches your eye and go from there.
I have a small collection of silver spoons which are displayed in a couple of box frames on the wall and so take the place of pictures.

Greyduster Fri 22-Dec-17 16:29:55

I’ve been an inveterate collector all my life, but have scaled down my activities these days. I collect ceramic Napoleonic military figurines, silver vesta cases and calling card cases, unusual ink wells, Georgian caddy spoons, small silver items relating to the history of this city, sea glass, fossils...... I had a large collection of bells and old blue and white china but got rid of them when we moved hmm! If I ever have any spare money (ha ha) I would like to start a collection of vinaigrettes, but they fetch serious prices, so it might be a long time coming!

BBbevan Fri 22-Dec-17 16:31:16

gillybob. I too collect seaglass. I put most in tall jars in the conservatory, but I have decorated photograph frames with pieces and would like to make jewellery

Greyduster Fri 22-Dec-17 16:33:57

Oh, and good watercolours but we are just about out of wall space, so the pocket is spared for now!

Esspee Fri 22-Dec-17 16:42:40

My obsession is plants. I prefer to grow them from cuttings or seeds but also love buying them when I have been away from home to remind me of the occasion.

Moocow Fri 22-Dec-17 19:14:45

My obsession is wood. Anything beautifully made from wood especially if mother nature has had a hand in it... You can find some lovely branches/twigs on walks or holidays their colours or shapes, and for those too big to take away (the shape of some trees are so beautiful) a photo is sufficient.