Gransnet forums

Chat

Living our own lives

(30 Posts)
sufuller Sun 11-Feb-18 17:13:21

DH and I live in the Midlands with my 33 year old son. My 35 year D, SiL and DGD live just around the corner from us. My son works fulltime as a classroom assistant and after him suffering many health scares as a child we are very proud of him. He is very kind and sensitive and is very generous. However, we have a problem. DH and I are both retired and we like dividing our time between our home and Devon. At the moment we are in Devon until the beginning of May.

I phoned DS this morning and he insinuated that he would like us to go home sooner rather than later. It makes us feel really guilty about leaving him but as our friends keep telling us he is a grown man. We have left him before so I hope he will settle soon. Why do we feel so selfish. Help.

Morgana Mon 12-Feb-18 19:33:14

They are always our children aren't they? Some excellent suggestions already, but it does sound as if he needs a bit of support right at this moment. Can you skype him?

sufuller Mon 12-Feb-18 20:46:13

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We’re still in Devon for the time being. I’ll phone DS in a few days to see how things are and then think about what to do next.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-18 20:49:35

smile best wishes, hope it work out ok for you all.

EmilyHarburn Tue 13-Feb-18 13:25:48

Your DS is doing well to get through his health problems with your support and then a qualification and then hold down a job. At this life stage, it is important that he makes relationships with people of his own age. This is a complex subject. He needs to be going out to local events. Perhaps join a society for his favorite hobby etc. I do not know if you have a second lounge at home and encourage him to bring a friend home. Is he good at social media and able to use it to join in activities?