Gransnet forums

Chat

Men, women and life!

(27 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:05:18

I was profoundly distressed yesterday reading of the atrocities perpetrated on poor, poor Sudanese women by fighters in the civil war there. I won't write down what happened to one of them because I wish I hadn't read it and thus even had these images in my head. Suffice to say it was unspeakably atrocious. Who is doing anything to highlight this or even try to do anything about it?
Contrasted with this we have highly paid 'celebs' parading about in designer black dresses to show solidarity with other 'celebs' who may have felt sexually taken advantage of in their scramble towards filmic fame.
I know you'll say that it's all wrong, and it is but what's happening to those poor women victims in Sudan and elsewhere where stupid men are fighting pointless wars is infinitely worse.
Just feeling miserable about those poor women. Wish men would just leave unwilling women alone. Forlorn hope. sadangry

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 10:44:31

The news needs more coverage of these atrocities and less of the little black dress parades

driverann Sun 25-Feb-18 11:31:07

I switch channels when the news is on I don’t know what they expect viewers to do about what goes on in some countries. They show children in very distressing environments that are sicking to watch and tell us what horror they have been through . If the so-called good and great politicians can’t sort it out what chance have the viewers.

tigger Sun 25-Feb-18 11:40:53

Absolutely, I have little or no sympathy for some of these drama queens who knew what they were letting themselves in for visiting men n their hotel rooms. In a sense you could say they colluded with men in order to progress their careers. These poor Sudanese women do not have a choice. I wish some of these "divas" would help.

Coconut Sun 25-Feb-18 11:53:56

So many atrocities have been happening for so many years now and very little changes. If you focus on it for too long it can seriously depress you as to what sort of world we are bringing our kids and grandkids into. It’s one of the main reasons that I am an atheist. People pray every day for others suffering to end, and it never does. How many billions have been poured into Africa for example over the years, yet still the wars, starvation and cruelty continue. Most of us feel impotent to do anything, so what’s the alternative, burying our heads in the sand ? If women ruled the world it would be a lot better place !!

Bridgeit Sun 25-Feb-18 11:54:22

Absolutely agree with your emotive thread Jane10. There are some amazing men in the world who are decent human beings who would never take sexual advantage of another person.
It’s seems we are at a loss as to how we can stop this abusive of woman (mostly ) . Like you I do not understand the choice of shall I say ‘ dressing to Sexually enhance ones body & looks.’especially if raising money for charities or to be noticed in the media world. I know that this is not an excuse for men to do wrong,but surely we do those poor woman in others countries a disservice ,by excessive exposure of & exploitation of the female form.

Marydoll Sun 25-Feb-18 12:05:17

Jane, I agree absolutely with you. I too read something about this and had to stop reading about what happened to an elderly lady in Sudan, as it upset me so much and like you couldn't get it out of my head. .
The extent of the depravity of some people, men and women is unspeakable.

sharonarnott Sun 25-Feb-18 12:08:06

I'm with driverann on this one. I just change channels I no longer listen to the news there's enough doom and gloom going on in this country that the government aren't sorting without reading about everybody else's. I feel sad for the homeless man in our country who froze to death days ago. The powers that be invest too much time getting involved in other countries problems rather than getting their own house in order first!

loopyloo Sun 25-Feb-18 12:13:42

I agree, now I just listen to the first few headlines just to check nothing really really important has happened.
Very easy to become down about everything.
Think 24 hour news on smart phones has something to do with the increase in mental illness.

Jimbow15 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:14:40

Just looking at the world situation today is enough to make anyone cringe and be embarrassed to be human
Indiscriminate killing of thousands of people in Syria and elsewhere in the name of what??
The world has gone crazy and we just moan about it. Do something like vote with your feet . We the free people of the world have more power to unite and take action instead of accepting our faith and those of others in Syria and elsewhere.
Action speaks louder than words.
Best Wishes
Joseph

radicalnan Sun 25-Feb-18 12:29:41

Some men, in some cultures, just regard women as inferiors and we can do nothing about that.

We need to pay more attention to the insidious culture creep here where young women / children are being abused, places like Rotherham, which is the tip of the iceberg.

I haven't seen any celebrities making records or putting on shows for those victims, who are within our reach helpwise. No one on telly wearing a black dress for them

Women are under threat here more than ever, honour killings and stalkers, acid thrown in women's faces ( men too are sometimes victims I know) but predominately it is women suffering. It is all about men who want control and will achieve that by violence.

While women in other countries are taking off the veil and striving for their independence and safety, we are encouraging all that here. It is just shoring up the male mentality that believes in control of women and results in the atrocities elsewhere.

Brendan Cox is just typical of the male ego, and despicable as are all the others implicated in the latest scandals where vulnerable women and children have been abused.

The western sexual predator is not that much higher up the food chain really, willing to allow their baser instincts to over ride what they know is decent, in return for power.

The Romans were appalling to Bodicea and her daughters, there is something in men that once unleashed goes beyong all understanding.

The Nazis were the same, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, it is a lesson in history that we have yet to learn the solution to.

petra Sun 25-Feb-18 12:41:08

radicalnan
You said it all.
jane10
George Clunny has put millions of his own money into trying to help Sudan. He is very vocal about the state of the country whenever he gets the opportunity.

Jane10 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:59:39

Good for George. Its not the headline stuff or general bombing etc that gets to me although that is reprehensible too. It was the specific sheer animalistic cruelty of those men that got to me. Animalistic does a disservice to animals who would never do the things they did.
Pointless meaningless fighting for the sake of fighting which gives excuses to scum of the earth men to perpetrate their barbarity on defenceless women and female children.

Jimbow15 Sun 25-Feb-18 13:00:48

Just don't accept the unacceptable and take massive action to deal with it
Don't just wait for others to act as they are waiting for you to act and then nothing happens.
That is why the world is in the mess it is and children are getting abused and killed
We are all waiting for someone else to stand up and be counted and take the lead.
So act and don't wait
Best Wishes
Joseph Grennell

Jane10 Sun 25-Feb-18 13:07:54

What do you suggest we do Jim?

luzdoh Sun 25-Feb-18 13:17:40

Jane10 You highlight one of the world's most heinous and terrible horrors. It is right that we learn about it and try to find ways to put pressure on Politicians to act.

The fighters are almost always drug crazed and filled with collective madness before they go into fight. They are incited to rape their victims in order to literally spread their seed and repopulate the vanquished area with their offspring.

We need to know from whom they buy their weapons. Both sides are funded somehow. War has to be paid for. Follow the money, follow the line of military provision. Then cut that provision with a World -Wide ban on arms trading to those people. Impossible? Maybe. But it will not stop until their supply ceases. War costs money. Somebody funds it. Somebody with a vested interest in maintaining their fighting and it is not about gaining territory unless there is oil there.

Anniebach Sun 25-Feb-18 13:30:51

and three women a week are murdered in the U.K., nothing to do with veils and honour killing.

Are women not bringing up their sons to accept women are equal? And when a child lives with abuse in the home it so often carries on to the next generation.

There doesn't seem to be a solution in this country

sarahellenwhitney Sun 25-Feb-18 14:54:26

These atrocities are also carried out on young girls who have not yet reached woman hood and it sickens me.
It cannot be for sexual gratification but prove to the abusers the male is the more powerful of the human specie. These abused women and children were not after fame unlike those ' in their black designer clothes' who had appeared to put up with degradation as part and parcel the price paid for fame. Don't shout now. Give your 'fame' earned money to help those who have no choice.

Jane10 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:18:00

luzdoh is right. Follow the money, the arms suppliers and the drugs. Theoretically doable but how to tackle the tribal necessity to fight? How to get it through these men's thick heads that the sort of thing get they are doing is beyond the pale? Having read what I've unfortunately read I'd say castration without anaesthetic would be too kind!

Nanny27 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:50:29

I agree that atrocities around the world are awful and make uncomfortable viewing but I am shocked by transmitters who refuse to watch the news. How can western countries put pressure on other governments that allow it to happen if we are not informed. How also can we lobby our own politicians if we refuse to be horrified or disgusted. Burying your head in the sand or looking in the other direction is tantamount to being complicit. We have a duty to our fellow human beings to be angry.

Nanny27 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:51:11

Gransnetters not transmitters. Durr

Jane10 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:52:29

What I was reading about couldn't be on TV sad

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Feb-18 16:07:25

I think the only thing we can do is to speak out when women or girls are treated as inferior to men and boys.

I'm with Anniebach here: we need to make certain that boys are being brought up to respect girls and women as equals.

And equally important we need to bring girls up to respect themselves and refuse to allow men or boys to treat them as inferior. This won't stop rape, unfortunately, but it might just prevent some forms of abuse or violence against women, or lessen the amount of crimes committed against women.

As far as the atrocities go that are committed in war-time, no right-minded man or woman can or should condone them, but knowing how to prevent them is a very different thing. I certainly don't have a solution. Supporting an organization like Amnesty International might be the best bet.

Elrel Sun 25-Feb-18 16:42:22

SHW - rape isn't about sex but about power.
I've a nasty feeling that the rudest and most unpleasant taxi driver I have ever had was Warboys. I remember the stare when I said what I thought of him. It must have been almost 20 years ago. It was daytime and I had a small DGC with me, he was a horrible man.

Magrithea Sun 25-Feb-18 17:02:30

Jane10 as another has said it's about power and rape and other sexual atrocities have long been used in war situations. I doubt you could stop it as the men are often fired up from battle and the poor women they attack are seen as the spoils of victory