Gransnet forums

Chat

urban myths you remember

(34 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 09-Mar-18 10:00:06

I remember talking to a girl at school who was complaining about her hair being greasy and she explained that she could not wash it because " it was that time of the month "
Standing in front of my microwave this morning I remember that a friend told me never to go near it when wearing contact lenses as they might weld to my eyes. Anyone remember any more ?

MissAdventure Sun 25-Mar-18 11:29:22

Yes! Ours was called 'Old Man Mook'. shock

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Mar-18 11:26:55

Sadly there are still 16 year olds who believe that a girl can't become pregnant the first time she has sex. It fell to my lot only a few years ago to disabuse a class of that notion!

We were taught neither to bath, swim or wash hair during our periods.

In Greenland chilblains are cured by rubbing a little of your own urine on them. This is not a myth as it does work.

Anyone else remember the bogey man who lurked in dark corners and cupboards and devoured disobedient children?

Blinko Sun 11-Mar-18 07:33:53

...see the devil if they looked in a mirror...

Surely the 'devil' would be called vanity. Maybe that's what they old sages meant.

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Mar-18 17:39:56

chilblains if I got too near the fire.

I'm not sure that's a myth, Oopsadaisy12, I used to be a martyr to chilblains when I was a child. I actually felt the familiar tingling after a bracing walk with the Beast from the East last week, then back into the warm. They didn't develop though, thank goodness - I'm not brave enough to lash myself with nettles. We used to use Snowfire. smile

Greyduster Sat 10-Mar-18 17:15:13

Golly, sodapop, you’ll be bringing out the hair shirt next grin!!

sodapop Sat 10-Mar-18 16:59:28

Sorry ethelbags problem with my phone. I was trying to say its an interesting concept being thrashed with nettles

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 13:45:50

Oldwoman, you’re the first person that I’ve ever heard who was also told that they would see the devil if they looked in a mirror, scared me for years.
I also had the no washing of hair at the time of the month, chilblains if I got too near the fire.

wildswan16 Sat 10-Mar-18 13:41:11

I seem to remember reading that the "no bath during period" myth came from the time when women would bathe in the river and the menstrual blood at that time was considered unclean and would therefore contaminate the river. I suppose in the years when (tin) bath water was shared by all the family the same idea might apply.

Daddima Sat 10-Mar-18 12:32:36

Did anyone else hear the tale of the lady who didn’t take down her beehive hairdo, just kept spraying it with hairspray. Of course, a ‘ lacquer bug’ grew inside it, ate its way into her skull, and she died!

sodapop Sat 10-Mar-18 10:52:33

Interesting thought though *ethe

etheltbags1 Sat 10-Mar-18 09:25:10

Maggie. Yes dandilions are diuretics but you are supposed to drink them in a tea. Nettles are good for childblanes you have too get a bunch and thrash the area.ive never tried it

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Mar-18 09:14:08

When I was a child my friend used to call dandelions pissabed (I remember being so embarrassed!). Perhaps they are diuretic.

sodapop Sat 10-Mar-18 08:38:01

Following on from that Mapleleaf here in France dandelions are called pissenlit so maybe not a such a myth.

rascal Fri 09-Mar-18 23:55:08

Ooo Vampirequeen that worked for me twice! Standing on my head. A son and a daughter.

ninathenana Fri 09-Mar-18 23:28:33

Riding a bike could cause you to loose your virginity.

Mapleleaf Fri 09-Mar-18 22:05:17

Collecting dandelions would mean you would wet the bed!

vampirequeen Fri 09-Mar-18 20:16:06

You only got nits if you had dirty hair.

Fennel Fri 09-Mar-18 13:55:56

You're lucky to even have myths about pregnancy - neither of my parents ever mentioned it, I had to find out for myself.
Following on from O level biology I suppose.
I never realised until now what a sheltered up-bringing I had, and how naive I was.

chelseababy Fri 09-Mar-18 13:35:01

Can't get pregnant the first time or if do it standing up.

farview Fri 09-Mar-18 13:06:24

Meant same as other posters re chewing gum!!! grin

farview Fri 09-Mar-18 13:04:50

A friend was convinced she might be pregnant because a boy put his tongue in her mouth smile...same also re chewing gum, apple pips..a tree would grow in your tummy haha

winterwhite Fri 09-Mar-18 12:15:11

Perhaps more of a rural myth but my mother used to maintain that the first gooseberry pie of the year should be eaten on Whitsunday. Never found it possible myself, fond as we all are of gooseberry pie. No gooseberries known to me anything like ripe enough. My mother died 25 years ago, but I daren’t post on the Mothering Sunday page because I’ve forgotten to make a simnel cake.
Of the others, I remember the dangers of swallowing chewing gum being the reason we were never allowed it.

Oldwoman70 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:07:29

Oh yes, the don't wash your hair when you were having your period was a common one. We were told if we swallowed pips from any fruit a tree would grow in our stomachs! Allowing a baby to see its reflection would cause it to have painful teething also if we spent too long in front of the mirror we were told we would see the devil!

Granny23 Fri 09-Mar-18 10:39:48

A school friend told the rest of out set that you could only get pregnant if you did 'it' during your period i.e. when you were 'on heat'. We had a hard time disabusing her of this notion.

vampirequeen Fri 09-Mar-18 10:32:44

Oooh yes hot radiators and cold floors/steps caused piles lol