RIP Stephen Hawking

(55 Posts)
Envious Wed 14-Mar-18 04:54:05

Such a loss. sad

durhamjen Fri 16-Mar-18 16:19:28

A message from Stephen Hawking.

youtu.be/RTRdtrsL9jg

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Mar-18 19:11:58

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
It matters that you don't just give up.”

DGD was asking about Stephen Hawking today and I could only remember the first part of the quote which she liked very much.
I must tell her the whole quote - it is a lesson for life.

durhamjen Thu 15-Mar-18 19:09:00

Thanks, Katek.
Did you watch the Dara OBriain programme about him last night?

Mapleleaf Thu 15-Mar-18 16:11:08

He had a brilliant mind and his work is his legacy. May he RIP.

Katek Thu 15-Mar-18 08:31:23

dj it’s by Australian journalist/artist Mitchell Toy and is circulating the internet. I think you can read it in several different ways-a return to our ultimate origins, an afterlife, the next big question to be answered.

Grandma2213 Thu 15-Mar-18 02:03:11

He was one of my heroes. I was in awe of his amazing brain and yet he was a man of the people too. He was one of the few that I shed genuine tears over when I heard of his death. Like many others on here I felt he was immortal but in a way he is. He contributed so much to our understanding of the universe and was so inspirational. RIP to a real superstar!

Eloethan Thu 15-Mar-18 00:01:12

He was an amazing man and it is sad that a powerful voice for the NHS and for the Palestinians has been lost. I was sorry to hear that he has died but he achieved so much, lived his life to the full and appeared to enjoy it so he made the most of those decades he never expected to see.

durhamjen Wed 14-Mar-18 23:13:12

Where was that from, Katek?
Hawking said that the afterlife was for people who were afraid of the dark!

Katek Wed 14-Mar-18 23:09:43

Says it all really, a brilliant intellect. RIP

Happysexagenarian Wed 14-Mar-18 21:21:33

A truly amazing man and a wonderful inspiration to others.

durhamjen Wed 14-Mar-18 18:27:53

He had a good sense of humour, grannyknot.
He would have appreciated this, I think.

newsthump.com/2018/03/14/god-suffering-existential-crisis-after-meeting-stephen-hawking/

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Mar-18 18:07:33

A truly amazing human being

RIP Stephen Hawking

Grannyknot Wed 14-Mar-18 17:37:36

There have been hundreds if not thousands of tributes to him on Twitter today, and I've been struck by in how many of the photographs from across his lifetime ... he is smiling smile.

What a man.

EmilyHarburn Wed 14-Mar-18 17:30:20

a remarkable man who will be much missed.

Smithy Wed 14-Mar-18 17:15:16

What a lovely story, Magsymoo, it just confirms what an amazing person he was.

Herbie9 Wed 14-Mar-18 15:57:36

What can I add to the wonderful tributes above. Stephen was a brilliant man, Such an inspiration with his severe disabilities. The world owes him a lot for his wisdom and humour. RIP

Magsymoo Wed 14-Mar-18 15:56:01

My brother died 3 years ago with MND after battling the disease for 18 years. He was also a Cambridge academic and when Stephen Hawking heard, through the Cambridge grapevine, about him, he invited my brother to tea in his college. Although a colossal intellect, he was a truly good human being. He gave my brother hope and inspired him to live life to the full in spite of this horrendous disease. The world is a poorer place for his passing. I feel very sad today.

VIOLETTE Wed 14-Mar-18 15:13:11

A great loss of a brilliant man with a brilliant mind ! he leaves a very big black hole RIP

Peardrop50 Wed 14-Mar-18 14:02:48

When someone dies a void is left. Stephen Hawking filled that void before he left. The sign of a truly remarkable man.

Theoddbird Wed 14-Mar-18 13:43:33

His soul flies free x

Grandma70s Wed 14-Mar-18 13:40:43

Apparently he had a ‘variant’ of motor neurone disease, and it is very rare for someone with MND to live so long.

Rosina Wed 14-Mar-18 13:21:11

I heard him once saying that his illness and disability was infinitesimal when compared the universe; what a truly inspirational man, and that philosophy must have been the reason for his having the lifespan that he did.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 14-Mar-18 12:38:21

Yes, indeed. I lost my husband to MND seven years ago and whenever this ghastly illness is mentioned I feel tearful. I knew that I would be upset at Prof Hawking's death but didn't realise just how much sadness I'd feel. He was a great inspiration.
If I understand it he's leaving his body to medical science so that more about the illness can be learned. I would be thrilled to bits if a cure could be found in my lifetime.

grandMattie Wed 14-Mar-18 12:20:20

So sad. A brain the size of a planet. Hawking is an shining example of the sadness no Nobel prizes are available for Mathematics, etc...

Not enough has been mentioned about his impish sense of humour! Just because his face didn't move, didn't mean that he didn't love playing tricks [verbal usually] on his audiences... grin

TellNo1Ok Wed 14-Mar-18 12:03:14

Oh such a loss... really heart aching that he is no longer in our world... somehow the world felt a better place with him it...