Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting snowed in - funeral tomorrow

(11 Posts)
silverlining48 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:16:18

I am sorry fir your loss but glad things worked out and you and your family got there despite the snow.

HAZBEEN Sun 08-Apr-18 11:49:58

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I did manage to get to the funeral, thanks to a local taxi company who sent a 4x4 to pick my daughter and myself up. Once we got to the nursing home where my mother is there was no snow! It was a bitterly cold day but a lot of people manged to make it there as well. My father had a good send off!

Teetime Sun 08-Apr-18 11:41:47

hazbeen I'm so sorry that you are having this additional stress. Funeral directors are brilliant at problem solving. I do hope the day goes off without a hitch.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 08-Apr-18 11:39:01

So sorry for your loss. Did you in fact manage to get to the funeral on time?

Tegan2 Sun 18-Mar-18 11:14:59

Was just about to say what Maw and corner have said; during the last cold spell a lot of 4x4 drivers came out to help people...

cornergran Sun 18-Mar-18 11:02:59

I’m so sorry you have this extra distress and send my condolences for your loss. I can only agree, make the funeral director aware today, they will have a system to accept calls at any time. They may have a 4x4 vehicle, if not I would hope the taxi company could provide one for you once they are aware of the situation. Otherwise is there local Facebook group? Someone locally with the right sort of vehicle may be able to help. Wishing you and your family well for tomorrow. I’m so sorry you have this added worry.

MawBroon Sun 18-Mar-18 10:35:34

My condolences and extra sympathy for the added frustrations. You absolutely do not need this.
I am sure it will be OK (do you have access to a 4x4)
I believe it should have stopped snowing, but oh the additional worry flowers

HAZBEEN Sun 18-Mar-18 10:28:16

I am waiting to speak to my brother at lunch time, hes in touch with the undertakerand has made all the arrangements. Since I posted we have had a glimpse of blue sky so maybe things will ease. I think we may have to rethink going from the old family home though and go back to the plan of leaving from the care home where he died (and Mother still lives). We had wanted to take him home one last time but that hill may make it a no no.

Luckygirl Sun 18-Mar-18 10:16:08

Sorry for your loss. You can only keep your fingers crossed about the weather. Such bad timing for you.

Granny23 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:15:09

You need to speak to the Undertaker ASAP. They will probably have contingency plans in place.

HAZBEEN Sun 18-Mar-18 09:52:05

Its my Fathers funeral tomorrow and at the moment it looks like we are going to be snowed in! I am staying with my daughter about 8 mile away up in the hills of County Durham and it hasnt stopped snowing. The funeral is at 10.30 tomorrow. It should go ahead ok as it is lower down and the weather isnt too bad, but the cortege will have to go up a steep hill first which might be a problem. The taxi company picking me up have already said they might not be able to get to us. Can only hope for a break in the clouds!