Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could rewind the clock...

(54 Posts)
bubblyjoyce1 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:41:21

What one piece of advice would you give your younger self? I think I'd have to say to stop worrying about my size and to embrace my youthful body - it's definitely not what it once was!

littleflo Fri 23-Mar-18 10:44:41

Walk away from people who don’t value you and treat you badly.

Chinesecrested Fri 23-Mar-18 10:45:54

Make up your mind what you really want, and go for it, whether it's a particular career, education or travel. Don't just drift through life and then complain when it doesn't work out the way you wanted.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 23-Mar-18 11:07:10

Oh don’t ask me, what brilliant advice, wish I knew at thirty what I know now, I would be light years away from my current frustrations, single and fancy free

inishowen Fri 23-Mar-18 11:25:42

I tell myself I was pretty with a fantastic figure. I didn't know it at the time. I was grateful when a boy asked me out, and would never have let a boy know I liked him. I drifted into office work after school but wish I'd trained for a career.

vickya Fri 23-Mar-18 11:42:43

Monica, you could give yourself advice to do the reverse of what would be best, with hindsight smile Then you would do the right thing.

caocao Fri 23-Mar-18 12:03:34

Mine would be a variation on littleflo's advice - value yourself and don't sell yourself too cheaply!

Blinko Fri 23-Mar-18 12:14:17

Nice post, raggyanna. Glad things worked out for you smile

Kim19 Fri 23-Mar-18 12:16:13

Have a re-run of what I did. Lucky, lucky me.

travelsafar Fri 23-Mar-18 12:31:31

Oh my how heavenly this would be. But only if i knew what i know now. My life would be so different, especially in terms of education, university and developing a proper career. I truely regret not going onto further education and if i had, i feel my personnel life would have turned a different corner and not been so difficult.

Legs55 Fri 23-Mar-18 13:41:15

I would take no notice of any advice given, having said that I wouldn't change the path my life has taken, not all good but looking back if I'd changed any decisions because of advice I wouldn't have known the happiness of a good marriage, making new friends now I've moved & having my DD who's given my 2 lovely DGCsmile

Juggernaut Fri 23-Mar-18 13:49:36

Appreciate your long shapely legs, and 36-24-36 figure because you're going to get fat and have varicose veins!
And.......you're not as plain as you think!

marpau Fri 23-Mar-18 15:05:22

Leave home as soon as possible and don't look back

Esspee Fri 23-Mar-18 15:37:15

Keep taking the pill!

VIOLETTE Fri 23-Mar-18 16:24:49

I wish I had taken the opportunites I was given .....................so many, but being young I turned them all down (going to live in Australia with a friend's family) ...training to be a legal executive, Working for an Estate agent and being offered a maisonette to buy, no mortgage to obtain, just deduction from salary .....driving lessons paid for by same Agent, chance to go to College to become an FSVA, ....so so many lost chances !!!!

Saggi Fri 23-Mar-18 18:01:43

Not to marry!

SueDoku Fri 23-Mar-18 18:13:33

Pay into a pension as soon as possible.
Don't give up work completely when you have children - cut down your hours by all means, but if you keep a toe in the water it's much easier when you want to go back full-time..!

Eloethan Fri 23-Mar-18 18:33:34

Not to accept that failing the 11+ makes me a dunce but set my sights a lot higher, academically speaking, work hard and study for a career that is meaningful and enjoyable.

LuckyFour Fri 23-Mar-18 18:41:46

I wouldn't get married at 19 and have a child at 21. Luckily all turned out well and still married with two great daughters, but??? I often wonder what I could have done if I hadn't started married life so soon.

Faye Fri 23-Mar-18 19:48:14

I have beaten myself up often for making the wrong choices in so many things. My advice to my younger self would be to sit down and write down the pros and cons and take my time about important decisions I am about to make.

sharon103 Fri 23-Mar-18 20:27:52

I'm with Oldwoman70 on this one. I too and for many years have been a people pleaser. Say yes and take things on then get stressed because I get behind with my chores and a bit of me time. A need a bit more courage to say no. It has been known that should I answer no then it's me they reckon is the 'funny bu..er.' Can't win sometimes. hmm

Lilyflower Fri 23-Mar-18 20:49:33

I think I would say stop panicking, it’s going to be all right. I wouldn’t have believed it at twenty though, being from divorced parents with a dysfunctional father and neglectful mother who spent all her money on alcohol and cigarettes and left my sister and I alone all the time. Never having any money was also a source of terror. I had no friends ( sent to 14 schools in 13 school years) and no prospects at all in life.

Life is great now.

sluttygran Sat 24-Mar-18 12:57:34

I’m with Teetime!. Never, never defer to men.
I was brought up believing this was what a woman should and must do, and I suffered many miserable years because of it.
Now of course, all the men in my life defer to MOI! grin

Magrithea Sun 25-Mar-18 13:40:31

I agree bubblyjoyce1 I look at photos of me 30 years ago and wonder at my figure which I disliked at the time but now would be happy with! too lazy to diet though grin

Yorkshiregel Sun 22-Apr-18 16:43:34

I would say 'Do not get married too young!' Do all those things that you were looking forward to doing first. Go travelling, Get involved with a sport you love. Have a lot of fun, and I do not mean getting drunk when you are out, that is just silly. Once you are married you straight away are restricted in what you are free to do. You have a house to clean, shopping to do, washing and ironing to do etc etc. When children come along then that is the end of your freedom altogether.

I have been happily married for a long time now and have no regrets, 3 handsome sons, five beautiful Grandchildren, and a husband who loves cooking! What's not to like!

Yorkshiregel Sun 22-Apr-18 16:45:52

I would also say 'Do not bother buying newspapers. So much fake news about these days, and you do not need to be scared out of your life with stories about Russia, North Korea and Trump.