Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could rewind the clock...

(54 Posts)
bubblyjoyce1 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:41:21

What one piece of advice would you give your younger self? I think I'd have to say to stop worrying about my size and to embrace my youthful body - it's definitely not what it once was!

Yorkshiregel Sun 22-Apr-18 16:57:31

Eloethan You did NOT Fail the 11+ ! The way it works is that there are so many places available to fill at any Grammer or High school. Then a line is drawn and those above the line go to the Grammar School or High School, those under the line do not and are given a place at the Secondary School or the Comprehensive School. It is NOT about whether you were clever or not. It is about school places and school politics. Sometimes some of the brighter children are not put up for a place because the school wants to show that they accommodate all religions, or say need more boys/girls, or they want a certain school to go up on the stats. We had a situation where the local town had a failing school, so they kept the brightest back in the failing school to make it look better. Not fair on the children but good for the school stats. All decided between the different Headmasters/Headmistresses and the Education Board.

You DID NOT FAIL the 11+ so never tell yourself that again!

Yorkshiregel Sun 22-Apr-18 16:58:26

'Grammar' school with an 'a'! :-)

andycameron69 Sun 29-Apr-18 17:06:41

Like these posts yes I agree I was a huge people pleaser, now I do help people but I also consider my own well being. I have made mistakes but that is life, I don't regret them, I try to learn from them. I have had many amazing experiences in my life and I write in my gratitude book alot smile
I try hard to life in this lovely day and not fear the future. Thank you for all your wisdom.