Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you react to an unsolicited compliment ?

(55 Posts)
Wobblybits Sat 07-Apr-18 21:50:34

A mature lady that served us at a cafe was extremely attractive, I was very tempted to make a compliment but thought better of it. How would you react to an unsolicited compliment ?

Bridgeit Sun 08-Apr-18 09:14:24

Ohh thanks Eglantine21, I didn’t know Wobbilybits was a man. In that case, I would be wary of an unsolicited compliment.

Baggs Sun 08-Apr-18 09:16:47

I don't think it would bother me much, wobs, but clearly it would some people.

Why was the lady's attractiveness more important than her politeness or friendliness or her efficiency in doing the job she was doing? Did you want to comment on those aspects too?

Finally, was MrsWobs with you at the time?

Elegran Sun 08-Apr-18 09:30:38

And if there had been a handsome waiter, would you have complimented him too, or would you have kept quiet in case he was gay, took it as an advance, and waylaid you when you visited the gents? You see, a woman receiving an unexpected compliment from a strange man always has at the back (or front) of her mind that it could soon be followed by a more physical expression of appreciation.

gillybob Sun 08-Apr-18 09:45:35

Blimey...... “should’ve gone to Specsavers” Jane10 grin

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Apr-18 09:52:31

I don’t care how nice he might or might not be elsewhere on GN - he asked, he’s been told, don’t do it, at best it makes women in the workplace feel uncomfortable and at worst it’s a creepy. No slack cut. Behave yourself OP

Elegran Sun 08-Apr-18 10:01:43

That is more or less what I said, MarryEliza, but I put it more gently.

maryeliza54 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:07:39

Well at least we can be sure he’s got the message?

Oldwoman70 Sun 08-Apr-18 10:28:54

I can't imagine any woman (whether "mature" or not) would welcome a personal comment from a complete stranger.

FarNorth Sun 08-Apr-18 10:34:02

Iam64, I know that. How does it relate to my post?

If I received a compliment from you, Wobbles, I'd think you were unhinged or should visit Specsavers.

Did you ask Mrs Wobbles how she'd feel about you complimenting the waitress?
(You said "us" - was your companion Mrs Wobbles?)

Elegran Sun 08-Apr-18 10:37:46

To quote a bit from the OP of another thread started by WB ^"Now I've got your attention!" It worked, didn't it? If no-one reacted with outrage at naughty remarks by adolescents (at heart), it wouldn't be worth making them, would it?

It is not always necessary or even most effective to slap a face and call in the PC police, thus providing the "oxygen of publicity".

Lazigirl Sun 08-Apr-18 10:40:22

How would you feel Wobbly if your OH paid a compliment to an "extremely attractive mature man" whom she didn't know who was waiting on you? It's not something most women would do so that says it all really hmm

grandtanteJE65 Sun 08-Apr-18 11:35:12

It would depend on the wording. I would gratefully and I hope gracefully accept a politely worded compliment from anyone. A rude remark would probably get a rude response from me. Something along the lines of "cheeky bugger" to a man or "cheeky besom" to a woman.

I still laugh at the memory of hearing my sister say very loudly at the St. Andrew's Night party in the Danish-Scottish Association in Copenhagen:

"Wud ye tak your haund aff ma ers!" i.e. "Would you get your hand off my arse!"

She later said that she took her recourse to broad Scots (in both senses of the adjective) as the gentleman had ignored two more politely worded requests.

Teetime Sun 08-Apr-18 12:00:25

DH and I were in a very nice farm shop café just after Xmas. DH went to the loo and as I was paying the man who had been sitting at another table came up to me and said I had fabulous hair. As he was not wrong I accepted the compliment and preened myself all day. I told DH and he said 'well you do'. #headbiggerthandoorwaysforaday.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Apr-18 12:09:55

I was wondering what poor old wobbley had done that I d missed
Don’t worry too much Wobbley you just like to mix it up a bit, but in answer to your question it really depends if the compliment feels genuine and not over the top I would welcome it, if it feels as if it’s being said to gain brownie points or pervy then NO It depends on the words, the tone, the face all in one package and if in doubt definitely no

NanaandGrampy Sun 08-Apr-18 12:42:34

I'd be delighted, smile and thank you politely ! Whether you meant it or not it would make my day !

Its no big deal.

Baggs Sun 08-Apr-18 12:43:20

gtante, I like it. Well done your sister ?

morethan2 Sun 08-Apr-18 13:03:55

Quite frankly I’d appreciate more compliments.

lemongrove Sun 08-Apr-18 16:28:49

I would think that a man who complimented me was trying it on tbh.Not a good thing to do with a complete stranger.
Teetime I want to see a pic of your fabulous hair.grin

annodomini Sun 08-Apr-18 16:38:17

While I would not welcome a compliment from a total stranger, I would be very unlikely ever to solicit a compliment!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 08-Apr-18 16:39:16

Me too Teetime I have serious hair envy of fabulous hairenvy

minesaprosecco Sun 08-Apr-18 16:41:40

Teetime,you beat me to it! I was in a bookshop last week, and a man said to me 'Your hair is fabulous'. I was very pleased!

threexnanny Sun 08-Apr-18 17:07:40

While being examined at the opticians he told me I smelt nice! I laughed at the time, but if OH had said that to a stranger he would be in big trouble.

Ailsa43 Sun 08-Apr-18 17:14:22

I gave a compliment to a lady who served me in Cafe Rouge the other day. She wasn't dressed in the 'traditional' waitress garb, instead she wore a very pretty smart business like dresss, and a black jacket. I was so taken with her dress, I complimented her on it, and she thanked me and told me where she'd bought it..

She didn't take offence at all.. but maybe that's because I'm female.. (not that it should make any difference)...however with respect to the OP's question, I've had many of my customers comment on my mode of dress or hair style or similar in a positive way and I'm always delighted, because I feel that my effort in being well dressed for work is noticed, however I have to be honest and say that if a person of the opposite sex was to compliment me on my attractiveness as in how pretty I looked , I would be embarrassed thinking that he was coming on to me. Just my feelings, not necessarily how everyone else would think of course.

kittylester Sun 08-Apr-18 17:45:07

I have been told that I smell nice quite a few times by both genders. I was pleased as they hadn't said that I smelled awful.

Iam64 Sun 08-Apr-18 19:23:14

FarNorth - sorry if I was teaching you how to suck eggs. I didn't mean to, I confess, men who play out in the way this OP does irritate me. My sanctimonious side came out to play and I apologise if I offended you.