Gransnet forums

Chat

Motorway Middlelaners

(16 Posts)
Lindylou23 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:17:00

My pet hate drivers who stay in middle lane on the motorway, anyone else feel the same or have other driving pet hates?

kittylester Mon 16-Apr-18 12:36:19

It depends on what is in the inside lane. If it has lots of lorries and it would necessitate lots of lane changes then, no, but if the inside lane is fairly empty then, yes.

I hate people who don't indicate on roundabouts.

Luckygirl Mon 16-Apr-18 12:43:12

I hate people who have dogs/cats roaming free in their car.

morethan2 Mon 16-Apr-18 13:00:34

Yep why do people drive in the middle lane when the left hand lane is clear/ drive in the middle lane when there is Faster traffic flow in the left. It’s clearly dangerous and almost forces others to under take.
Yes if the traffic in the left hand lane is very slow and you can see it clear further ahead then obviously up your speed and over take using the middle lane.
My real hate is undertaking on motorways
Not indicating

Charleygirl Mon 16-Apr-18 13:30:27

Not indicating
L drivers deciding there is enough room in a parking bay for his bike and my car.
Throwing rubbish out of the window anywhere
Practically sitting in the boot of my car- if I braked suddenly I would have a guest.
Seeing my grey hair, I obviously cannot drive so the person undertakes.
Pedal bikes flashing through red lights
Pedestrians so attached to their mobiles that they do not look if there is any traffic coming.
I could continue.

SueDonim Mon 16-Apr-18 13:32:41

I just overtake them using the outside lane. That's what it's there for. It's not worth getting het up over, better to concentrate on your own driving.

M0nica Mon 16-Apr-18 13:35:33

Usually, I go from first to third lane, overtake them and back into the inside lane. Most do then draw into the inside lane.

My pet hate is the 40 mile an hour brigade, not on motorways, on ordinary roads. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, 30, 40, 50, 60 miles an hour, they drive on relentlessly at 40 mph. no faster, no slower.

kittylester Mon 16-Apr-18 13:39:15

Oh, I forgot undertaking. Drives me bonkers!

NanaMacGeek Mon 16-Apr-18 14:20:29

My pet hate is seeing that a lane on a busy motorway has been closed but other drivers chose to carry on in the affected lane and rely on pushing in at the last minute. It means that those of us that move into the remaining open lane hardly move at all.

There is only one lane assigned for driving on a motorway, lane 1. The other lanes are designated as overtaking lanes. I think it depends on the weight of traffic though. It can be an offence to hog the middle lane.

NanaMacGeek Mon 16-Apr-18 14:22:11

I should have said it can be an offence to hog an overtaking lane.

SueDonim Mon 16-Apr-18 14:40:43

Actually, NanaMacGeek, you're wrong! grin Zip-merging is a more efficient way of dealing with lane closures. That was proven during a period of lane closures on a major road near me. When drivers zip-merged, the traffic moved faster overall. But we British do like to queue! wink

www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/

varian Mon 16-Apr-18 16:00:06

I can't stand tailgaters. I keep well back from the vehicle in front unless I am actually overtaking. I mostly drive on country roads which are hilly and bendy and although it might be legal to do 60mph, in my opinion it is often safer to go a bit slower - say 45-50mph. I speed up when it is safe to do so, yet tailgaters often drive dangerously close as if they were trying to push you to go faster. Sometimes I pull in to get rid of them as I regard them as very bad drivers.

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Apr-18 17:02:05

People who stop at the entrance to the slip road rather than use the slip road for merging into the flow of traffic! ( This happens a lot at the slip road onto the A1 motorway near where I live). I don't know if these drivers don't realise it's a slip road as this part of the A1 is still dual carriageway, but there's a big no stopping sign as you enter which really should give them a clue!

tanith Mon 16-Apr-18 17:21:39

People who when entering the motorway from the sliproad slow down, I just want to shout NO! go faster!

Synonymous Mon 16-Apr-18 17:24:31

SueDonim you are quite right about the zip merging. They do it over the Atlantic as a matter of course and it works very well and is so much quicker. Why volunteer to queue and clog everything up? confused hmm

NanaMacGeek Mon 16-Apr-18 20:56:56

I'll remember to shout 'you all need to zip merge' out of my car window the next time I queue to get off the M5!