Gransnet forums

Chat

A scam waiting to happen?

(9 Posts)
goldengirl Fri 25-May-18 12:46:16

I ignore all except the ones I'm interested in. I'm hoping it will stop the piles of catalogues that drop through the letterbox but I'm not holding my breath. I wish it would also stop cold callers at the door but I doubt it - the positive side is that at least they get me moving to go and answer the bell!

hildajenniJ Fri 25-May-18 11:36:41

I've had loads. I have unsubscribed one or two that I know, and am no longer interested in what they offer. The rest I've just deleted.

Cunco Fri 25-May-18 09:48:36

One downside of the new era I'm finding is that, because I routinely clear history and cookies on my Mac, I now have to update my yahoo privacy preferences after each clearance before I can search. I always 'deselect' all the sites and partner sites that want to follow me round and tailor ads to my usage but it takes a few extra clicks to update every time. I wish we could say, once and for all, no ads but sadly, it is not an option.

Pittcity Fri 25-May-18 09:22:13

I just block those I'm not interested in so any future mail will go straight to SPAM folder. CBA with unsubscribing.

Mapleleaf Fri 25-May-18 09:20:29

Unless you decide to order something else online, Luckygirl ? (unless the changes mean they can’t)??

Luckygirl Fri 25-May-18 08:34:41

I have deleted all except one of them. It is a golden opportunity to get rid of all this advertising with which I am deluged. Every time you buy something online, the company wants your email and then the flood begins. But no more - hooray!

PamelaJ1 Fri 25-May-18 08:30:00

I wondered about this too. A lot of them don’t require you to do anything. Saga won’t let me unsubscribe, I’ve tried a few times. They probable think I’m too old to remember I’ve tried before!

harrigran Fri 25-May-18 07:49:24

I think you are right to be concerned, clicking unsubscribe lets people know your address is active, better to just ignore.

Cunco Fri 25-May-18 07:36:09

Like many people I suspect, I am getting many e-mails at the moment advising me of updates in privacy policies prompted by the new law. Some are from websites I have long forgotten and there is a temptation for those to simply click 'unsubscribe'. To do so, though, might take to a place I would rather not be if originating from a cyber criminal or near-do-well. So, I have decided simply to delete them. Am I worrying about nothing or is there a risk?