Gransnet forums

Chat

Heritage Open Days Statues of living women.

(8 Posts)
trisher Sun 24-Jun-18 21:47:24

Devorgilla the whole idea is that these should be the women who have statues. It doesn't have to be someone famous or well known, just someone you think is special. It is also about highlighting the differences women make although these aren't usually the reasons statues are made.

Devorgilla Sun 24-Jun-18 20:43:56

Well, I'll take one out of three. My hangup on it all is that there are many well known women who would qualify but there as just as many, if not more, women who quietly soldier on and make an enormous difference to somebody's, or some community"s life who never get acknowledged.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Jun-18 20:00:50

Well, Judi Dench is still alive Devorgilla

I'm with ilovecheese, the idea makes me feel a bit uncomfortable; perhaps I am just superstitious.

Bridgeit Sun 24-Jun-18 18:59:20

Joanna Lumley ( for her fight for the Gurkas)

Ilovecheese Sun 24-Jun-18 18:53:03

It's not that I don't think that there are many good living women who could be nominated, it's just that I find statues of people a bit creepy. Sorry.

Devorgilla Sun 24-Jun-18 17:57:36

Oops! Just saw the bit about living women.

Devorgilla Sun 24-Jun-18 17:53:29

What a great idea. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I love the Open Weekends and this is a worthy topic.Now trying to think of suitable women.
Countess Markievicz, first woman elected to Parliament. She didn't take her seat as she would not swear the oath to the monarch.
Bessie Braddock who fought for women's rights.
Judi Dench
and counting...
Come on Gransnetters - let's get a good list going.

trisher Sun 24-Jun-18 11:43:02

Do you know a woman who deserves to have a statue? For heritage Open Days in September
25 statues of living women will be created and unveiled. You can nominate here.
putherforward.com
There are 925 statues in Britain but only 25 are of non-royal, non-mythical women. So nominate and let's double the number. More info here www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting/unsung-stories/put-her-forward