Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas 2018

(13 Posts)
sloojgud Wed 05-Sep-18 09:08:07

Thought I'd pop back to say in the end I wanted to go somewhere that felt "Christmassy" so we've booked a 6 night coach trip to the Moselle Valley.
Now considering a February break - husband is convinced that after Brexit the £ will be worthless and there'll be no flights so it may be our last chance to leave the UK - so will consider The Algarve or Madeira. Thanks for your input.

sloojgud Mon 06-Aug-18 09:52:02

Jane: Thanks for the tip, though we would definitely want to be back in the UK by NY.
Eglantine: Thanks for the hotel suggestion.

Eglantine21 Sat 04-Aug-18 11:41:35

You might want to take a look at Oura View. But there are lots of nice hotels all along the beach road.

Jane10 Sat 04-Aug-18 11:31:00

There's flowers all year round in Madeira. Plus the fireworks festival. At New year.

sloojgud Sat 04-Aug-18 10:26:18

Thanks everyone. Madeira is somewhere I'd like to go, but I've heard it's best in spring for the flowers.
Neither of us can drive, so a good bus service in Albufeira would be useful.

Eglantine21 Tue 31-Jul-18 09:48:29

Bit of a creature of habit. I always stay fairly close to Albufiera. One of the hotels along the cliff\beach so that I can stroll into town or take a walk along the beach from the hotel.

There’s a local bus service along the beach road that takes you to the main bus station and the wider world! I don’t drive while I’m there.

Jane10 Tue 31-Jul-18 09:43:40

Why not try Madeira for a change? It's still Portuguese but with a difference. Beautiful island too and hotels to suit all budgets.

sloojgud Tue 31-Jul-18 09:38:10

Yes thanks. I am now leaning towards The Algarve. Is there any particular place or hotel you liked?

Eglantine21 Tue 31-Jul-18 09:24:35

The wind in the Algarve can be blustery and it does rain sometimes.
For many years now I have escaped the winter for three weeks in the Algarve. Different times from November through to February. One of the best was Christmas and New Year, sitting on the balcony, wine in hand, watching the sun go down before Christmas dinner.
It’s always been warm enough to go for a walk during the day with just a cardigan and to take it off when you sit in the sun!
Hope this helps smile

sloojgud Tue 31-Jul-18 09:12:31

Thanks for suggestions, which are appreciated. I think our problem is that we can't make up our minds.. So far we have considered river cruises, European coach trips, long haul, British hotels. Everything is of course more expensive at Christmas. We have had an invite for Christmas lunch with friends, but I fancied doing something different.
We have considered Algarve, but I wondered if it would be too cold. Maybe we should think again, as we like Portugal.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 30-Jul-18 11:58:37

The papers will soon, if they aren't already, be full of adverts for Christmas breaks. I suppose it depends on your budget.

If you don't want to go abroad, there are plenty of UK hotels which advertise Christmas breaks. Single and couple friends of mine have gone on them.

If you don't want to go away, have you got any friends to invite to your home on Christmas Day?

Eglantine21 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:48:03

Go somewhere where Christmas is minimal and where the weather is kind.

I’d plump for Vietnam or Cambodia.

Or take a last minute cruise.

Closer to home the Algarve is lovely at that time of year.

sloojgud Mon 30-Jul-18 11:41:05

For the first time in 35 years we will be without any family coming to us for Christmas, as my youngest daughter now plans to alternate between us and her partner's parents, as my oldest daughter already does.
We're quite happy about this - it is fair to us and in-laws, and we're am glad that we'll either have both of them and their partners/child, or none of them.
But we are wondering what to do. I don't fancy just staying at home with just the two of us, and wouldn't mind going away somewhere. Any advice about unusual, enjoyable, budget-conscious things to do for Christmas?