Gransnet forums

Chat

Wow -fire balls in the sky?

(39 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 10-Aug-18 08:06:24

Yesterday evening, I saw the most wonderful optical illusion.

There had been rain, the sky was dark and there was a lovely rainbow.
That in itself drew our attention, because for a rainbow you need sunshine, and from our viewpoint there was no sign of sunshine (obviously, it was behind us, on the other side of the house, but largely obscured by cloud anyway.

While gazing in wonder at the rainbow, something amazing happened: balls of fire, like screwed up balls of burning paper, appeared from nowhere, crossing the sky between us and the end of the rainbow. Dozens of them, each one flickering with yellow, orange and gold!

This only lasted for about ten seconds, I guess, and it took me most of that time to work out what was causing this illusion: Birds.
I don't know what sort of birds they were, but the sun's rays catching on their bodies and wings was what created this.

I have never seen anything like it - it was breathtaking!

4allweknow Mon 13-Aug-18 09:43:59

Starlings have an irridesence on their feathers. They visit my garden frequently and at times I think they have been bathing in petrol. Could well have been starlings you saw.

annep Sun 12-Aug-18 16:22:21

How lovely! and weren't you lucky to spot them. Luckygirl its lovely to hear others appreciate sunsets. We have a lovely view of the sun going down over hills from our upstairs bedroom. we look forward to it every evening.

baubles Sun 12-Aug-18 10:31:35

That sounds simply wonderful. I’m quite envious.

Esspee Sun 12-Aug-18 10:24:19

We are in the middle of the Persiid meteor showers at the moment. That would be my first guess.

Apricity Sun 12-Aug-18 10:20:16

Isn't that just the most wonderfully evocative collective noun -a murmuration of starlings.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 12-Aug-18 08:52:25

I rarely see this type of thing. However, in Somerset we once saw a 'murmuration' of starlings which was quite spectacular.

MamaCaz Sat 11-Aug-18 23:00:18

TillyWhiz, I did wonder myself, afterwards, if they were gulls, because of the white reflection on the underside (I think!) of the wings, but I really dont know. Others have suggested starlings, and that sounds just as feasible.

I feel so lucky to have seen this - though sad too that I can't share it with my late dad. He would have been as thrilled about this experience as I was. My love of the natural world comes from him. He died last September, and every time I see a lovely sunset, a clear starry night, or any other wonder of nature, I think how he much would have loved it as much as I do.
Oh well - one of my aims in life now is to encourage this same passion in my DGC. I look forward to telling them about this when they come for the day on Tuesday. smile

Greciangirl Sat 11-Aug-18 17:30:13

They were probably lanterns lit up and floating away, don’t you think ?

Theoddbird Sat 11-Aug-18 14:38:40

How wonderful....

TillyWhiz Sat 11-Aug-18 14:22:41

Could they be gulls? I have several times seen gulls in the distance going home to roost on nearby lakes and they glint silver in the evening sun.

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 14:10:50

Eilyann70, I had a similar experience in New Zealand with green seagulls. The lovely green water reflected on the underside of their wings made them much more interesting birds than the common gulls they were.

Auntieflo Sat 11-Aug-18 13:51:50

Mamacaz, that was such a beautiful description, of a wondrous sight. Thank you

Apricity Sat 11-Aug-18 12:42:51

Oh Wow, MamaCaz. Thank you for sharing that experience. Isn't it just gobsmackingly amazing when you are lucky enough to witness such a wonder of nature. We had such a moment a few years ago. We were sitting entirely alone on a vast remote beach in Western Australia watching massive green turtles lumber their way up the sand dunes to lay their eggs at dusk. And as we watched the sun slowly dropping into the ocean we saw whales breaching in front of the golden orb of the setting sun. There are moments so rare and precious they are etched forever in your memory.

EmilyHarburn Sat 11-Aug-18 12:01:57

MamaCaz thank you for sharing this experience. How wonderful nature is. Such a beautiful description. it will stay with me. Thank you

Eilyann70 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:48:43

Years ago DH and I, lazing by a hotel pool in the Med, were entranced by the lovely blue birds flying over - until we realised they were pigeons with their plumage reflecting the blue of the pool! Romance gone! (And no we hadn't been on the G&T's!)

Luckygirl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:46:49

night!

Luckygirl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:46:23

How wonderful - isn't it brilliant when things suddenly come together in such a beautiful way.

We are very lucky to have huge windows round our living room and a distant view - every might the sunset is a joy - and every night it is different. Very exciting.

When I am running my singing group each week, people keep breaking off to get up and look at the sunset!

Blinko Sat 11-Aug-18 10:16:59

Thanks for the link, Janea. That was my first thought. I've never seen birds that shine in the sun....

janeainsworth Sat 11-Aug-18 09:47:04

Sorry just seen your post Blinko.

janeainsworth Sat 11-Aug-18 09:46:03

Meteor showers Mamacaz?
I'm hoping to see them tonight. It was cloudy here last night.
www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/perseid-meteor-shower-2018-when-14853603

AlieOxon Sat 11-Aug-18 09:40:14

Wish I had seen this!

Blinko Sat 11-Aug-18 09:13:44

Perseids?

SueDonim Fri 10-Aug-18 13:17:50

How amazing!

Fennel Fri 10-Aug-18 12:25:49

Fantastic indeed! You can get some wonderful skies at times of storms, the clouds are full of electricity.

goldengirl Fri 10-Aug-18 12:22:07

What a wonderful sight that must have been. How lucky you saw it