Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending on grandkids

(54 Posts)
Mumsyface Wed 19-Sep-18 08:40:39

I can’t believe this hasn’t been discussed before, but I couldn’t find the topic, so here goes. I wonder how much other people spend on their grandchildren for birthday and Xmas presents and how they decide.
I worked abroad for years, and earned enough to agree to most requests. The request to finance a school ski trip to the tune of £2000 stopped me dead in my tracks though!
Now that I am back in Europe, earning a nice low European wage, approaching retirement, and my uk granddaughters are teenagers the gap between their requests and my budget seems to be increasing somewhat.
The most recent request I sent for an early Xmas present present of a new school bag, Swedish brand, which retails at £75/90. This seems a lot for a school bag although I appreciate that a good one may be justified as she now has to bump a school laptop around with her.
I am going round and round in my mind about her perceived need for ‘street cred’, my desire to economise generally over the next couple of years before I retire (god help them then!), my son telling me that their mum (his ex) spends all her money on the horses and thus they don’t have any extras/luxuries unless he or I provide them and the knowledge that I have trained them from birth to expect me to buy them things. (Rod for my own back as they say!)
I can, in fact afford the bag, but am wondering whether this is the right way to proceed.
How do others deal with this?

nanny2507 Sat 17-Nov-18 18:56:23

i spend what ever i like and can afford (most times ill afford) the people at work take great offence at what i spend and im getting tired of their moaning, Its my GD and ill spend what I want. I will spend about £350 each on my son, daughter and son-in-law and prob the same on my GD aged 2.5. But its my money and ill do with it what i like.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Nov-18 20:38:00

I spend £100 each seven grand kids and three adult children all get the same for Christmas and birthdays
I dont have a full pension but I don’t find the need to spend a lot on myself throughout the year (I love charity shops) etc so although that’s a good chunk of my annual income what else would I spend it on
I think I know the school bag you are talking about Mumsyface I think my granddaughter had one bought for her a couple of Christmasses ago They are the thing and unfortunately it’s all part of belonging and if your group have them and you don’t well there you go not how I like it but ..... so yes I personally would get it her

Lisalou Mon 03-Dec-18 07:28:07

As has been said, how much anybody spends on presents is really unimportant. It is dependent on how much you can afford and should be appreciated regardless. For me the key here is the amount of people who worry if they have to rein in spending as they have "made a rod for their own back", "made them used to expensive presents" - as the parent, not the grandparent, I have always taught my children to expect nothing, and pointed out that their grandparents may or may not be able to afford certain things. It is lovely that my kids have a loving grandmother who devotes so much time to them and to making Christmas special, the cost of their present is really unimportant.