Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Advice please

(35 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 09:24:37

On 5th September I bought a canopy for Fred. It cost me £499 .

Two men fitted it, they took Fred to their van to fit it.

I had problems with it, phone the store and asked for. An instruction book , they said there isn’t one.

Two weeks ago I phoned again, they said they would ask the makers to email instructions. Phoned yesterday, the makers hadn’t replied to them. The chap who fitted it would phone me back, he didn’t.

I am now way past their 14 days promise for returning goods.

Are they wrong? The canopy has several faults, I can’t see clearly through the front screen, it’s not smooth.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Oct-18 09:30:37

If it has faults Anniebach I think you should be covered under the sale of goods act.

DoraMarr Wed 03-Oct-18 09:32:26

This might help:

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly.

This right is limited to 30 days from the date you take ownership of your product. After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period.

DoraMarr Wed 03-Oct-18 09:33:15

Sorry, forgot to say this is from the “Which?” website.

MiniMoon Wed 03-Oct-18 09:33:28

Annie, have you tried manual online? I found instructions for my late Dad's washing machine there. They have hundreds of thousands of instruction manuals. It's free to use.

DoraMarr Wed 03-Oct-18 09:34:09

The sale of goods act has been replaced (2015) by the Consumer Rights Act.

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 09:53:50

No idea of the make of the canopy. No paper work with it. Didn’t see them fit it, they took it away from the house, no label with makers name.

They charge £80 to come here to take it off.

annodomini Wed 03-Oct-18 09:58:29

Contact Citizens' Advice, Annie, They should have a number in the phone book or on line and have all necessary information on consumer rights and protection. Good luck with that.

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 10:06:09

I paid for it on 16th August !

Elegran Wed 03-Oct-18 10:55:13

Better move fast! Try a phone call to the people who sold it to you, to say that you want the canopy removed and if they don't take it off SOON before your 30 days is up, you will be contacting your TRADING STANDARDS OFFICE. Mention the other complaints about it while you are on the phone and ask them to WRITE TO YOU with a date when they are coming to fix everything and confirmation that you told them about the faults. Write down your account of what has happened so far - every message, contact, visit, with dates and if you have them the names of who you spoke to or who came to put on the canopy. You can wave that and their letter at the Trading Standards people if they don't do as they promise and pronto.

Elegran Wed 03-Oct-18 10:55:53

Find your local Trading Standards Office -

Elegran Wed 03-Oct-18 10:59:10

Call the national consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 for advice. Be sure to tell them how limited your mobility is.

Elegran Wed 03-Oct-18 11:00:54

"Trading standards services are delivered by your local authority and consumer concerns should be reported to the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.

Most local authority trading standards services do not have consumer help lines and can only be contacted by telephone through the consumer helpline above."

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 11:49:33

Thank you all x

Local citizen advice closed today.

National Consumer help line closed.

Phoned citizen advice consumer helpline. They were most helpful. I now have to write to the company .

Seems the canopy is not fit for purpose . Will let you know if/when they respond .

Elegran Wed 03-Oct-18 12:02:05

I think you are starting to get somewhere, Annie Fingers crossed!

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 12:07:19

Again you came to my help x

annodomini Wed 03-Oct-18 12:36:25

Just mention that you have consulted the CAB. That usually stirs them to action!

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 09:19:20

Wrote my letter, was advised to do it quickly, 30 days almost up. Supporter from MIND didn’t turn up, can’t post it untill next week !

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:23:27

Anniebach could you email now, and follow up by getting your letter posted?

Good luck

glammanana Thu 04-Oct-18 09:30:41

Annie remember to post the letter recorded delivery so they can't say they didn't receive it. xx good luck

Hilltopgran Thu 04-Oct-18 10:01:41

Our postman will take our mail for us when he delivers he says its part of the service. I know of one local lady who can not leave her chair where there is an agreement that the post is taken into the house and given to her. If you have difficulty getting out to the post, it might be worth asking if your postman can take your mail for you.

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 10:05:39

Yes glammanana but next week will be too late. The CAB told me to get it in the post yesterday.
Couldn’t get it posted , hey ho.

stree Thu 04-Oct-18 11:16:35

Did you pay by debit or credit card?

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 11:20:30

Debit card stree

Elegran Thu 04-Oct-18 12:03:22

A dated email would record that you HAD written and that the original would reach them soon.

Surely you could phone one of those neighbours or church members who said they would be helpful, and ask if they could post an urgent letter for you?