Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice please

(36 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 09:24:37

On 5th September I bought a canopy for Fred. It cost me £499 .

Two men fitted it, they took Fred to their van to fit it.

I had problems with it, phone the store and asked for. An instruction book , they said there isn’t one.

Two weeks ago I phoned again, they said they would ask the makers to email instructions. Phoned yesterday, the makers hadn’t replied to them. The chap who fitted it would phone me back, he didn’t.

I am now way past their 14 days promise for returning goods.

Are they wrong? The canopy has several faults, I can’t see clearly through the front screen, it’s not smooth.

Elegran Thu 04-Oct-18 12:04:04

In any case, if it is unfit for use, the exact date is irrelevant.

Auntieflo Thu 04-Oct-18 12:09:27

Elegran exactly what I was going to post.
Not fit for purpose
Good luck Annie

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 12:19:55

Update . Rang them yet again, chap is coming up here tomorrow. The way I feel now ,mother in law rushed to hospital fractured hip, they can just take the damn canopy away . Will let you know what he says . X

stree Thu 04-Oct-18 16:23:13

Annie, you could do a cashback on your debit card, thet have not fufilled their part of the contract. Maybe an option to kickstart them.

Elegran Thu 04-Oct-18 17:01:54

stree That is a meaning of "cashback" that I have never heard. Usually it means a kind of discount given by the card provider when you use your card.

If you mean she can get back what she paid, I don't think Anniebach can just wave her debit card and get the money back, though there may be a way for the card provider to reimburse her if the card is used fraudulently, which she can't claim here - not value for money, and rotten after-sales service, but not actually fraud..

stree Thu 04-Oct-18 18:05:47

Elegran
Cashback has been around for decades. card protection.....if you dispute a transaction and the seller is not cooperating then the bank can take the money back and force a conclusion. That is a rough explanation, I have used it myself and it was straightforward.

stree Thu 04-Oct-18 18:07:52

Apologies, I used the wrong terminology, it is chargeback.
This link will explain it:

www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/individual/chargeback-for-credit-and-debit-card-purchases.asp

Elegran Thu 04-Oct-18 18:31:34

Thank you, stree I thought that was what you meant.

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 19:38:27

I will now be glad to see it go, I want to get out on Fred, the man who called to see me on Monday is from the Mobility Action Group, he will accompany me on his scooter when I go out on Fred. He works for the Volenteer Bureau, holds a quiz night once a month in the pub. He had a stroke 13 years ago, is paralysed on one side , bombs around on his scooter all day every day working for charities, makes me feel a wimp.

I don’t understand chargeback , will read the link, thank you so much.

Anniebach Fri 05-Oct-18 19:30:33

Hi all x

Canopy gone. They wanted to discuss it with their boss and come back next week. That was it, no way. So they phoned him , out of earshot! Best they could do was take it back to the showroom, because it was made to fit the make and size of Fred they would try! to sell it secondhand when someone bought the same scooter. I was past caring.

Thank you all so much, such kindness x