Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, apparently, we are definitely behind the times!

(61 Posts)
phoenix Thu 04-Oct-18 22:57:48

Evening all, and sending every good wish.

Well, my thoughts were first aroused when a friends grandson was over from Australia and during the course of a conversation, I said that I would send him some info via email.

He was a bit nonplussed, and eventually (after looking through his phone) gave me his mothers email address. confused

So, tonight I get a call from our new window cleaner, saying that he had done the windows. previously I have been here, and paid him in cash, but today I was at work.

I said to him "email me your bank details, and I will pay you by transfer" (Not unreasonable, I thought).

There was a short silence followed by "email?" in what I can only describe as incredulous tones. shock

You would have thought by his reaction that I had offered to communicate by carrier pigeon!

He then said that he would send them via Facebook Messenger, which he did.

It would seem that younger people regard email as only for "oldies" and use Whatsapp and some other thing that I can't remember! Oh yes, Snapchat.

Yours, feeling ever older, although only 60,

Phoenix

GabriellaG Fri 05-Oct-18 10:53:47

I don't 'do' Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat or any media other than WhatsApp, and that only occasionally. My AC send texts/email and so do the GC.
If I wanted the world and it's wife to know every aspect of my life, I'd make a short film or write a book.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 05-Oct-18 11:00:38

Email or text suits me so why mend that not broken or am I missing out on another and possibly awesome ?means of communication ?

BlueBelle Fri 05-Oct-18 11:01:13

Gabrielle it’s so wrong to think Facebook is open to all the world and his wife you make it as private as you want you choose who can see your posts if you only have ten friends and you only want them to see your business you make it such and no one outside those them will see what you post
If you use messenger the message goes only to the person you are messaging so it’s as private as you want it to be

moleswife Fri 05-Oct-18 11:01:46

Tweedle24 is right - email is not as safe as WhatsApp which is encrypted.

cassandra264 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:21:27

As someone who forms part of the 5% of the population in the UK with no reliable mobile signal I am infuriated to think that communicating via email for my business transactions may shortly no longer be a choice.

Disadvantaged or what?? angry

Bathsheba Fri 05-Oct-18 12:02:23

My email accounts are only for things like Amazon, Goodreads, and the endless stuff from all the companies I have ever ordered from or done business with.

For family and friends it's WhatsApp and FB Messenger. With the exception of a group of friends I meet up with monthly - the person who 'runs' this isn't into social media of any kind, so she emails us all with details of the next meet up. I have to remember to look out for the emails, and I have been known to miss the day because I forget to check!

mabon1 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:10:56

Get over it and do what you wish, it's all money at the end of the day. if that's all you have to moan about count yourself lucky!!!

goldengirl Fri 05-Oct-18 12:47:20

Oh glory - more technology to get used to!!! Just when I'd got to grips with FB and Twitter - and my phone.

Fennel Fri 05-Oct-18 13:27:48

I give up - I'm stuck on hand written letters. Don't trust email for important things.

KatyK Fri 05-Oct-18 14:46:06

Yes WhatsApp is great

Grandma14 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:56:31

I'd never give my bank details via email - they could so easily get waylaid into the wrong hands.

GrammaH Fri 05-Oct-18 15:03:09

I use WhatsApp & Messenger all the time - texts are impossible at our house as any company's mobile coverage is really poor. You may be lucky if you stand on tiptoe on the top rung if the garden gate....

Nanny41 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:22:56

I use e mails a lot, keeping connection with my friends in the UK, but my children and their Husbands and Wives usually use messenger,I find messenger too messy trying to find the keys on my phone, but dont mind using it on Facebook on my Computer, e mails I can say much more too.

Farmor15 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:27:29

There’s another App called Viber which works in a similar way to WhatsApp but is not owned by Facebook so I trust it more! www.viber.com/about/

We use it in our family for chats, photos and video calls.

leeds22 Fri 05-Oct-18 16:12:59

Thank you. I've just uploaded WhatsApp to my PC, much better than fiddling with a tiny phone keypad. Dead easy to do.

Saggi Fri 05-Oct-18 16:39:53

Honestly Phoenix... E-mails....they have become like the post that drops through the letter-box...for junk mail only! I'm 68 and use Whatsapp all the time as you can 'talk' a message on it or text a messages , and send photos free. The talking thing is great....really ...you should download it and give it a try!

Blinko Fri 05-Oct-18 17:12:03

I do Facebook (with appropriate privacy settings) and WhatsApp, but can't get my head round Twitter. Why would the world at large want to hear about my every thought and/or deed? I just don't get it.

mcem Fri 05-Oct-18 18:12:24

The big advantage with WhatsApp is that pic's can be exchanged safely and free.

Legs55 Fri 05-Oct-18 21:40:18

My friends & DD use FB Messanger for most of our communications. I also use mobile phone & text a lot, rarely use landline except for DM who hasn't any modern technology (she is 89).

I do use email a lot but would never send Bank details as they are not regarded as being secure. I don't use WatsApp or Twitter.

I use FB to keep in touch with friends & family

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 22:05:54

Phoenix I can only imagine the look on our window cleaner’s face if we said what you did grin it’s cash in hand only for him.

GabriellaG Fri 05-Oct-18 22:35:12

BlueBelle
Thanks...but I already knew that.
FB gets hacked and they own WhatsApp too. Why do I need it? I don't.
I manage perfectly well with email and texts and can send photos with emails if I wanted to.
I'm au fait with all the stuff you can do and precautions you can take but I have no interest.
I do everything on my phone so I'm no slouch when it comes to technical stuff but thanks for letting me know. grinflowers

phoenix Fri 05-Oct-18 23:51:02

I now feel blush at being such a dinosaur! Having said that, I communicate with most of my friends by email.

And for those that feel they would never disclose bank account details, take a look at you cheque book!

Ok, it's probably becoming increasingly rare that you actually write one, but the recipient has your sort code and account number right there on that piece of paper!

phoenix Fri 05-Oct-18 23:53:00

lemongrove as I have the misfortune to still be working, sad I'm usually not here when the windows are cleaned!

annodomini Sat 06-Oct-18 00:01:53

I've been firmly told that there's no point in emailing my GC because they don't look at their emails. So I'm on WhatsApp for family except for my dinosaur sisters who don't yet have smart phones.

SueDonim Sat 06-Oct-18 00:57:45

Ooh, Phoenix, I wrote two cheques last month. The last one prior to that had been a year ago and to the same person. grin I also had to write a second cheque to a company that didn't seem to have any alternative facility for payment, unless I wanted to send a postal order. confused