Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, apparently, we are definitely behind the times!

(61 Posts)
phoenix Thu 04-Oct-18 22:57:48

Evening all, and sending every good wish.

Well, my thoughts were first aroused when a friends grandson was over from Australia and during the course of a conversation, I said that I would send him some info via email.

He was a bit nonplussed, and eventually (after looking through his phone) gave me his mothers email address. confused

So, tonight I get a call from our new window cleaner, saying that he had done the windows. previously I have been here, and paid him in cash, but today I was at work.

I said to him "email me your bank details, and I will pay you by transfer" (Not unreasonable, I thought).

There was a short silence followed by "email?" in what I can only describe as incredulous tones. shock

You would have thought by his reaction that I had offered to communicate by carrier pigeon!

He then said that he would send them via Facebook Messenger, which he did.

It would seem that younger people regard email as only for "oldies" and use Whatsapp and some other thing that I can't remember! Oh yes, Snapchat.

Yours, feeling ever older, although only 60,

Phoenix

Willow500 Sat 06-Oct-18 06:43:32

We were out with family for lunch last Sunday and my niece (35) held her phone up to show over 3000 unread e-mails grin

Lilyflower Sat 06-Oct-18 07:43:59

I still use email to younger people because for longer messages it’s easier to use an iPad keyboard. I then have to text or WhatsApp them to say I have emailed or they won’t pick it up. Ridiculous but it works. I have a very close relative who only uses her iPhone for messages and her texts look illiterate which is something I would avoid at all costs.

PECS Sat 06-Oct-18 08:14:24

I usually message or watsapp friends and family. Only a few work emails usually for things subject to data protection where I have a specific work email.

SueDonim Sat 06-Oct-18 08:53:56

I can send texts from my iPad. My typing is bad anyway and it's even worse on my iPhone!

baubles Sat 06-Oct-18 09:05:32

Greyduster you can leave the WhatsApp group if you want to. Open the group chat and tap the top line which gives the group info, scroll down and you’ll see the option to exit group.

Wishes Sat 06-Oct-18 16:55:48

Greyduster you can mute notifications from individual group chats in Whatsapp if you press the 3 dots in the top right corner once you go into your group. The icons will still appear to show you have received messages.

This used to drive me crazy too with notifications pinging at all times.

Greyduster Sat 06-Oct-18 19:13:44

Thankyou, Wishes I have now done that, so perhaps tommorrow at seventeen minutes past six I will not hear the ping that heralded “Yellow shirts tommorrow please, team!” this morning. I don’t want to opt out of the group altogether because it’s the only way we get postcodes for the away matches!

GreenGran78 Sat 06-Oct-18 19:49:46

I recently joined a choir which uses WhatsApp to communicate, so I 'signed up.' It is driving me crazy. Messages are constantly pinging onto my phone and I-pad. I have to check them in case they are important, but 99% of them are pure trivia. Someone posts a a comment, then almost everyone else piles in with their twopence-worth, including umpteen 'Happy Birthday's' to whoever happens to be celebrating at the time.
Give me email every time!

kittylester Sat 06-Oct-18 21:22:18

Turn off the notifications then. I only know I've got WhatsApp if I look at my phone.

annep Mon 08-Oct-18 23:28:34

My phone is Do not disturb 11pm-7am. you can turn off notifications but there is so much to know with technology. What I like about messenger and whatsapp is you can send photos free. With texts you have to pay For long conversation and multiple photos email is still better. My son was able to take me on a tour of his new house with his phone. fantastic.
I'm not sure I can take in much more though. Technology is moving too much too fast. I hate not knowing everything. I remember doing ECDL and I thought I was so clever!