Gransnet forums

Chat

Naked on the beach

(70 Posts)
2old4hotpants Fri 05-Oct-18 10:34:46

I’m just back from a lovely relaxing holiday in The Canaries. On the beach I wore my elegant swimming costumes as usual. But I felt quite overdressed. The majority of women were topless, including overweight grannies with boobs comfortably sitting at naval level. Many wore only skimpy thongs, leaving the entire buttock area exposed. In addition, some had gone completely nude and strutted about showing their stuff. I must add that this was not a designated nudist beach. The near or total nudity seemed to be completely accepted as normal.
It led me to ponder what beach wear will be in the next generation. Will costumes, bikinis and trunks cease to exist, and will all go nude?

Bbbface Sat 06-Oct-18 10:27:03

* On the beach I wore my elegant swimming costumes as usual.*
grin

maddyone Sat 06-Oct-18 10:30:29

Swimsuit for me, my bikini days are over. I cannot imagine that anyone wants to see my fat tum.

maddyone Sat 06-Oct-18 10:32:31

Annie, think it’s called skinny dipping, but I was never brave enough. I did go topless in my youth, but I had a nice figure then.

Lindylou23 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:33:52

I go in the sea facing away from the beach or people and pull my top down, it is lovely feeling of my boobies floating ??

holdingontometeeth Sat 06-Oct-18 10:39:46

You shouldn't worry what you look like, people only glance anyway, it is your insecurities, which we have all got, that makes you think people are staring.
Do what you are comfortable with.

2old4hotpants Sat 06-Oct-18 10:46:17

Thanks for that, bbbface*. I could think of a few suggestions for what all those Bs stand for. Actually, I think a well fitted, supportive costume is far more elegant than flabby body parts flapping around.

No predictions yet on the future of beachwear

Pinkshoes26 Sat 06-Oct-18 11:02:33

A sunshine holiday is the best Hotpants. I have just returned fro a USA holiday. We travelled around to different states. What ever you are comfortable in seems to be. I took x2 tankini sets with me. I did see some older ladies in tiny swim wear standing bold and proud.

driverann Sat 06-Oct-18 11:20:14

So many women are inclined to wear more clothing as they become older thinking they want to cover up because they feel less attractive. Many years ago we both had demanding jobs, we were both on call. We never seemed to have any ‘ME’ time. My female GP said she would not give me anything for stress other than advice. That advice was to join a nude swimming group at our local pool. I was surprised by her suggestion whilst at the same time intrigued by it. I have never looked back. I went along very nervous and ironically stressed about it. I never told anyone I was going. However I have always been greatful for the doctors advise. One of the first persons I saw in the swimming pool changing room was surprise surprise, my GP. Who told me “This is how I get rid of my stress” She was delighted I had taken up her advice. 45 years on and now in my 70s i am now thankfully still in good health and we belong to a naturist all year round club. I have not been on any medication since. I also life model at a art group and have made so many genuine friends. I can only speak as I find and have found the naturist I have met have been friendly open and honest with literally nothing to hide. I think there is nothing sexual being naked, I think the tiny costumes that just about cover the nipples and labia are worn to be sexually saying “ Look at horny me”. In a naturist club no takes any notice of how big or small you are or what you look like because we are all naked.

dorabelle100 Sat 06-Oct-18 11:20:16

Two things here - First, you cant put on a plate one minute that which you want him to think is a real treat, the next. Second. It was the ultimate degradation
of the Nazis to force the Jews in the concentration camps to walk around naked.

Nanny123 Sat 06-Oct-18 11:22:40

We were in Minorca a few weeks ago and there was a woman and man complete nude on the beach - to make it worse he was strutting around quite proud of himself standing with his hands on his hips looking pretty pleased with himself. It was a family beach and they were the only ones thank goodness.

vickya Sat 06-Oct-18 11:23:32

By the time you get to using gransnet you shouldn't sunbathe much anyway. We went to the Canaries on holiday with daughters aged 13 and 15 and I sunbathed topless. They sat as far away as possible, pretending they were not with me smile. About 12 years ago I lived in Spain for 2 years and our closest beach was a naturist one. There is no obligation to join but I was happy to do so after an initial feeling or surprise, encountering naked males going for walks along the beach or prom. There is a certain etiquette to using cafes and restaurants by the beach.

You sit on your towel or a wrap for hygiene smile. Once used to it it doesn't really matter whether the body is less than perfect as I don't think a fat man with tum spilling over the top of his swimsuit looks better than one not wearing the swimming trunks. Suntan is flattering to the larger figure. But also dangerous if overdone. You did also get good-looking bodies of both sexes. Apparently children of naturists grow up with fewer hang-ups about their bodies, presumably because they are used to seeing a variety of them. With everyone naked there is nothing sexual about it.

Minerva Sat 06-Oct-18 11:35:27

GabriellaG, I never thought you could make me laugh but you and MissAdventure had me laughing out loud today.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 06-Oct-18 11:36:31

I've done naked on the beach back in the 70s. Wasn't my thing, so I thought, but as the days went on I thought what the heck and joined in. Totally liberating and very comfortable not having sand trapped in places by bikini tops/bottoms. Also had the best tan I've ever had. Ff to now and I wouldn't impose my naked body on my cat let alone other holidaymakers but it dosn't bother me that some still do even though they are no longer model slim, young and firm. I do wish they would cover up when leaving the beach though. My biggest dislike though is the men (usually german) who strut about in their budgie smugglers even into shops and bars, they do put me off my sangria and look so much better in shorts grin

inishowen Sat 06-Oct-18 11:51:46

My friend and I went to Ibiza years ago. While sitting on the sand i commented that a man emerging from the sea was naked. Lets just say, he had a lot to be proud of! Anyway as we looked around we saw that everyone was naked except us. We had wandered onto the nudest beach. Quite an eye opener.

Nona4ever Sat 06-Oct-18 12:26:25

Coming back from a holiday in the sun some years ago I was discussing sunbathing habits with some friends. I said that although, when younger I had often sunbathed topless, now, after breastfeeding 3 children, those days were over.
‘What size are you now then?’ said a (male) very good friend, ‘36 long?’

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 12:36:57

maddy, yes skinny dipping, when I did it just common sense. The boys were in the sea dragging the net in, girls racing along the net on shore with torches looking for the catch. Very hot night, swimming in jeans not appealing so stripped off, swam whilst the boys lit the bonfire. On Rhossilli beach, I can recommend it ?

MagicWand Sat 06-Oct-18 12:54:59

That made me laugh Gabriella as the same thing happened with my DS when I was sunbathing topless on a secluded beach in Greece! He was about 15mths at the time and crawled over to avail himself of the exposed facilities!

SaraC Sat 06-Oct-18 12:56:16

Well done Cambia! That’s fantastic!

Aepgirl Sat 06-Oct-18 13:00:16

Why is it usually the ugliest bodies that are on full naked view?

Silverlining47 Sat 06-Oct-18 13:06:09

We live in France with a swimmng pool and jumping in the water naked is the most liberating feeling. Swimmng naked is wonderfully different and there's no point in pulling on and off a wet cossie in the privacy of your own garden.
When we mentioned this to any of our adult children they ALL looked shocked and slightly horrified!
I think I'd be quite comfortable (even over 70) to go naked on a beach if others were doing the same but DH definitely would not!

Greyduster Sat 06-Oct-18 13:26:57

Once, about forty years ago, in a very secluded Welsh cove that DH and I had to ourselves. Delicious! Would I do it again? Not on your life!

Crispy123 Sat 06-Oct-18 13:40:36

So did I.

Crispy123 Sat 06-Oct-18 13:43:24

I also laughed out loud at MissAdventure's comment?

Luckygirl Sat 06-Oct-18 13:51:06

I have been to a nudist island, when I was about 18. I did not take my glasses as I was too vain - goodness knows what I missed! I am very short-sighted so missed the dangling detail - it seemed a bit rude to squint grin.

In retrospect I feel sorry for my poor parents (who must already have been worried about me trekking about in Europe) as I sent a merry card to them saying "Going to a nudist island tomorrow!"

nanasam Sat 06-Oct-18 14:44:20

There were naked bodies on a lot of beaches on one holiday to Fuerteventura. We were at one beach, away from the main tourist area and 2 ladies turned up with their children. One of them stripped off naked to lay on her back in the sun. All very well, you may say, but I DO wish she'd kept her legs together. We couldn't un-see it! shock