Gransnet forums

Chat

medication bottle tops.

(17 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 06-Oct-18 13:32:42

Does anyone else suffer with the inability to open these bottle or tubs of tablets when they have the sort of lid that requires you to push dodwn and round at the same time.I certainly do i have to rely on DH to open for me so now i just rest the lid on the top instead of securing.

Moocow Sat 06-Oct-18 13:45:26

I do the same, ie rest the lid on top after finally managing to open it. No little ones around thankfully.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Oct-18 13:50:56

I sometimes resort to the door jamb
Bleach bottles are the worst

midgey Sat 06-Oct-18 13:55:17

I have had to take bottles back to the pharmacy to ask them to open them for me.

Izabella Sat 06-Oct-18 13:58:07

Ask the pharmacist to dispense them in easy to open bottles.

midgey Sat 06-Oct-18 14:01:20

Didn’t know I could do that Isabella! I most certainly shall in future.

M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 15:30:59

It is not just medicine and pills with lids like that. A lot of domestic cleaners, bleach for instance, come in bottles like that as does my mouthwash. I find them irritating beyond belief and in fighting to press and turn have ended with them slipping from my grasp and spilling everywhere.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Oct-18 15:38:35

I could not agree more- I have an awful job undoing pill bottle tops. Also aligning an arrow with another when I am partially sighted is not easy either.

I have a drain unblocker sitting unopened because I cannot open it. The next person who knocks on my door may get that task.

mimiro Sat 06-Oct-18 15:58:10

here you can request meds to be put in easy open bottles.
the pharmacist will often do this without asking if the meds are for arthritus,including a warning if there are young ones in the home.my mom uses a box that pops open with a tap.
and we also have a new system whereby the meds are in little perferated or ziplock bags with the daily needs in one bag each.
it's free and great for those who forget if they have taken the daailys.(they are dated.)
as for toxic liquids,even though i have to fight with them i feel it's a good thing to keep children from being harmed,even in stores unwatched ones like to play with items on the shelves.
i decant my mouthwash into a pretty old corked bottle

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Oct-18 16:15:26

Old fashioned nut crackers are good for opening bottles.

kathsue Sat 06-Oct-18 16:53:01

I asked at the chemists if I could have my pills in easy open bottles and the woman on the counter refused. She then showed me how to open the bottle as if I was too stupid to work it out myself!angry.
The pills come in bubble packs now which is better.

gmelon Sat 06-Oct-18 17:12:20

You most certainly can find a pharmacy who will meet with your requirements.
I couldn't go to one that refused to help.
My repeat prescription for multiple sclerosis has many facets.
The pharmacy pops the pills, there are lots of bubble packs, then puts them in tubs with a non child proof lid. It takes them ages but these are my requirements. They do get paid, they aren't doing you a favour.

The GP suggested a dossette box for me, maybe you could request one if you have a regular prescription.
For me a box was not practical due to the volume and large size of some of the stuff I take but they are very popular.

I've moved house a few times and when changing pharmacy I've had to be extremely firm on many phone calls to get the presentation that I need, without that I'd not be able to open and take my medications.
It can be achieved with persistance.

MiniMoon Sat 06-Oct-18 17:18:43

It's not just the push and twist type lids. I have trouble with the bicarbonate of soda containers from the Co-op. You are supposed to be able to pull those off, but I have to fight with mine, and use a tea towel to stop the little ridges on the cap hurting my hand!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:51:46

Anyone else remember the story in The Readers' Digest many moons ago, about the lady staying in a hotel who had the same problem? She rang the reception desk and asked if anyone could help her and the receptionist replied, "Certainly, madam, I'll send up our expert". The person who came was a five year old boy!

You should be able to buy various gadgets for opening these kinds of lids, which are a blinking nuisance. Whatever was wrong with locking the broom cupboard, which is what my parents did when we were children and keeping medicine in a locked drawer?

Lyndylou Sun 07-Oct-18 16:20:46

My lovely OH who does the shopping now I'm working, has been buying Persil capsules in a new large plastic container with a lid that is nearly as big as my hand. Somehow I'm supposed to grip this and put pressure on both sides to release the lid. I just can't do it, very frustrating to have to ask him each time, so now I decant them into an easy open container by the sink. Good job my one and only DGC would never consider popping one in his mouth. He is far too risk adverse!

Don't they test these thing on the older members of the population?

Jessity Sun 07-Oct-18 19:56:36

I struggle with those firmly glued tops with a little tab for you to pull - milk bottles, yoghurt cartons for instance. Often I have to give up and puncture the top with a knife and try to lever the edge off that way. I accept that we have to protect the young but this shouldn’t be to the detriment of others.

etheltbags1 Sun 07-Oct-18 20:12:36

I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm in agony with hand and arm pain , tests had no result so i have to struggle to open bottles and jars. the pharmacy opend a cough bottle but it spilt in my bag . My neighbour will open them but he works all hours. It is a bl.,.y nuicance