Gransnet forums

Chat

Moral dilemma

(132 Posts)
DaisyL Tue 09-Oct-18 10:58:24

I would really appreciate some thoughts on my problem. My husband died nearly three years ago and I have tow adult step children. My step-daughter is an alcoholic with two children. She was living in France but her brother brought her back to England because she was not with the children's father and they were in a house that had no heat, no water and no electricity and she had no money. After a while when she got back here he put her into a cottage that actually belongs to him, but it is my responsibility for my lifetime (I get the rent but have to maintain it). My stepdaughter has now had the children taken away from her (court ordered) and they are with a foster family. This is an interim order, but as she has made no efforts to stop drinking it is likely to be permanent. The children's uncle doesn't want to know and I am too old to have full care of them, but I do stay in touch. At 5.00 am this morning the stepdaughter was arrested for screaming and shouting and disturbing the whole village. Now everyone is getting at me - this is not by any means the first time this has happened, it seems to be a weekly occurrence. My problem is that I have been very reluctant to evict her as I don't think I could sleep at night if she was on a park bench somewhere but on the other hand the other people in the village are entitled to some peace and quiet. So sorry for this long message - I have tried to precis it!

willa45 Thu 11-Oct-18 19:02:25

Who among us here, is expert enough to know all the ways a human brain can be damaged by drugs and/or alcohol?

The mind is still a mystery anyway, so whatever opinions we have about addiction we need to be more sensitive about placing blame or making hurtful comments.

So no matter how bad a situation is, we need to do our best not to judge anyone ....it isn't helpful.

(I wish there was a symbol for 'peace'.....a little white dove perhaps?)

notanan2 Thu 11-Oct-18 20:52:13

I can't sell the house I live in and move as it is a family house that I have for my lifetime

But you probably could sublet it like leaseholders can

Izabella Fri 12-Oct-18 11:18:21

DaisyL i have pm'd you

DaisyL Fri 12-Oct-18 12:06:24

No I can't sublet it as it is on the farm and the rest of the family would be furious, also it has been my home for over thirty years and I love it and I intend to be carried out from here in a box and to be buried in the garden next to my husband!
The upshot of all this is that I have an appointment with a solicitor next week and after all the support I have received here and in PMs I have taken the decision to start proceedings to evict her the next time the police are called in the middle of the night when she has caused yet another disturbance and I have explained this to her as clearly as I can. I have told her that I can put up with her behaviour as long as she is not disrupting everyone else's life. There are people in the village telling me that their children are having nightmares because of her screaming and obscene language that can be heard from a long way away.

notanan2 Fri 12-Oct-18 15:52:33

it has been my home for over thirty years and I love it and I intend to be carried out from here in a box and to be buried in the garden next to my husband!

Apologies I thought you meant you couldn't move as in you might if you could, if you don't want to then of course you shouldn't.

tickingbird Mon 28-Jan-19 12:31:34

I really do sympathise with you. What a predicament to be in. However most alcoholics etc only sort themselves out (and only they can do that) when they reach rock bottom. The George Bests and Gazzas keep going because of fame and someone always willing to buy them a drink. I wouldn’t like to be in your position and her brother has to get involved. Tell him what’s happening and that it’s causing you grief with other residents and hopefully he’ll help find a resolution. Good luck.