Gransnet forums

Chat

Meghan and Harry

(444 Posts)
mcem Mon 15-Oct-18 08:57:39

Anyone ready to start knitting royal baby jackets?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 15-Oct-18 13:47:16

Wont be knitting a jacket but I am going to a one day class to learn how to knit socks on four needles maybe I cold do a pair of baby socks with the royal crest on it grin

nanaK54 Mon 15-Oct-18 13:50:31

Oh - has there been an 'announcement' - I have been at work - right must put the news on now!
Happy for them, just as I would be for any other couple smile

Bridgeit Mon 15-Oct-18 13:53:12

You will be right on trend Grannyknot?

travelsafar Mon 15-Oct-18 13:53:39

Sooo pleased for them both, it will be lovely for Kate's latest son Louis to have a cousin near his own age group as they grow up together.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 15-Oct-18 14:17:54

I too wish them well, it's delightful news. I just wish they hadn't chosen Eugenie's wedding reception to tell the family. It was Eugenie and Jack's day.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:44:26

Perhaps they told Eugenie beforehand and she was happy for the news to add to the occasion.

Willow10 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:52:51

Apparently they did tell the Queen and the rest of the family beforehand. The reception was the first opportunity they were all together to offer congratulations. They waited until they were on the way to Australia before announcing it to the media. She could well be showing if only a little bit by now and I think they did well to keep it quiet at all. These days they only have to have a bad case of wind for the press to assume they are pregnant!

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 14:56:33

They were all in the castle before the wedding, why not then. A wedding reception is not the place to announce a pregnancy , it was the bride and grooms day.

specki4eyes Mon 15-Oct-18 15:06:55

Nicholas Witchell just speculated that Meghan was wearing a loose coat at Friday's wedding in order to hide the bump. Oh isnt he a saddo!!! A visible bump at 12 weeks??? Purlease!grin

Willow10 Mon 15-Oct-18 15:20:18

If you are as thin as Meghan is ( and I was - once!) its perfectly feasible to show early - even if it does look like you've swallowed a boiled egg!grin

dogsmother Mon 15-Oct-18 15:21:00

I am with you Hannah ? a little bit cynical here.

Willow10 Mon 15-Oct-18 15:23:49

Who says she's twelve weeks anyway? wink

willa45 Mon 15-Oct-18 17:56:29

Willow,
I don't think a woman's weight matters that much. When I first got pregnant, I too was rail thin, yet I didn't show (even wore some of my street clothes) until I was almost five months along. One of my (skinny) friends was pregnant at the same time..... I actually gave birth a week before she did. I remember being so jealous because she was wearing maternity clothes at three months and I had so little to show for mine.

A year after our own wedding (1960s), my close (full figured) cousin got married. The style of her lovely wedding dress showed off her small waist and curvy figure. Five months later she raised the proverbial eyebrows by giving birth to a 9 lb baby boy! My guess is that some women just seem to carry more discreetly than others, especially if it's their first time.

travelsafar Mon 15-Oct-18 19:04:01

I expect she had to explain why no wine or champers drunk at reception smile

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 19:47:34

of course, travelsafar!
Good thinking.

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Oct-18 20:29:42

Our DD2 and husband did a cracking job of keeping their secret from us all at DD1’s wedding, so as not to steal any of her thunder. DD2 was never without a glass, but he was emptying them. He was feeling a bit fragile when they broke the news to us the next day. smile

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 20:54:11

I think it was a self centred thing to do, tell your father, grandparents in front of a large crowd of people then lap up the congratulations on your cousins wedding day. It was the bride and grooms day why make it into ‘a My day ‘

Bridgeit Mon 15-Oct-18 21:06:51

I think it adds to the family celebrations. More to celebrate, lovely just like most of us would do. Perhaps we can assume they are all happy for each other instead of interpreting it as an act of one upmanship.

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 21:11:22

But it wasn’t a family celebration, there were more guests than family .

Come to think of it, they announced it Friday, all those guests yet it wasn’t leaked to the press , photographs taken on mobiles were on line on Saturday . !

maddyone Mon 15-Oct-18 21:18:40

I admire her for getting pregnant knowing she had this heavy schedule in Australia coming up. I hope she doesn’t suffer from morning (all day) sickness as I did, and apparently Kate did too. Up to now, she appears to be glowing so she’s probably lucky and not experiencing morning sickness. I still think this trip will be very tiring for her though, I hope she doesn’t get too tired.

Chucky Mon 15-Oct-18 21:26:38

Maddy
Pregnancy is a condition not an illness. Most pregnant ladies have to carry on with their job, which is what Meghan is doing by going to Australia. She shouldn’t be wrapped up in cotton wool. I admire her for just getting on with her work. A lesson for many!

maddyone Mon 15-Oct-18 23:29:48

I know Chucky that pregnancy is not an illness, having had three pregnancies myself. None the less some people are unfortunate enough, and I was one of them, to suffer from horrible morning, and indeed all day, sickness. I believe Kate was admitted to hospital with her first pregnancy due this horrible condition. Looking at the way Megan has been behaving, both at the wedding last week, and as she arrived in Australia, it would appear that she is not suffering from sickness. She has looked both happy and healthy, and ready to get on with the job. Good for her.
However, as pregnancy is also a tiring time for the mother to be, I hope she doesn’t get too tired with a very demanding three weeks in front of her.

eazybee Tue 16-Oct-18 09:18:29

Poor woman.
Whatever she does people find cause for complaint.
Constant criticism of her since the engagement was announced: her choice of clothes,colours, hair, wedding dress, family relationships, too clingy, even the set of her eyes and now the timing of the announcement of the birth. It was communicated privately to senior members of the royal family, not a public announcement at the reception, and possibly it was Prince Harry's choice to break the news then.
She is now pregnant, and getting on with the day job, as most of us did. Good luck to her and her husband.

Anniebach Tue 16-Oct-18 09:23:19

I don’t think they had a choice as to when the pregnancy was announced , it was timed to be announced when in Australia

Parsley3 Tue 16-Oct-18 09:54:52

Well said,eazybee. Which of us was there to witness the announcement? Why invent scenarios to criticise the couple? Why feel aggrieved on behalf of the newly weds? I don’t understand why energy is expended on these activities. Personally, I get on with my own concerns.