Gransnet forums

Chat

when will it become normal to include men?

(5 Posts)
Moocow Tue 16-Oct-18 20:31:12

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-politics-45875211/labour-mp-chris-evans-suffered-from-body-dysmorphia

The above article is something that once again made me think there is often talk about the experiences females go through or have gone through, then eventually there is a little talk about what men have also experienced. I wonder how many more men keep quiet while wanting to shout out it happened to me too.
Sorry bit heavy but the thought does cross my mind sometimes.

MeltingMacaron Tue 16-Oct-18 21:59:43

Agreed. We live in an image-obsessed culture so no surprise that men should not experience body dysmorphia as much as women.

Men may worry excessively about their muscularity, height, poor skin, hair loss, body hair, penis size.

Section here about muscle dysmorphic disorder:

bddfoundation.org/muscle-dysmorphia-body-image-in-men/

M0nica Tue 16-Oct-18 22:11:01

Yes, men and boys suffer from eating disorders, breast cancer and a host of mental and physical problems, or perceived problems, that people think of only as female problems.

Humbertbear Wed 17-Oct-18 07:43:25

I do so agree. I had to argue this point at a lecture many years ago when a very strong feminist stated that only girls feel pressure on them to conform to a certain image. My son is extremely hairy, all over his body and as a teenager did not conform to the current androgynous boy band looks that still remain fashionable today. He felt extremely uncomfortable about taking his clothes off on the beach and exposing his Torso (not to mention legs). Fortunately adulthood and marriage gave him confidence in his own body and his own look.

RandySchmidt Sun 04-Nov-18 14:51:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.