Gransnet forums

Chat

cleaning technology

(76 Posts)
exFengirl Wed 17-Oct-18 20:37:46

Before I start the substance of this post, I'm going to admit to employing a cleaner, even though I'm retired, so I am Very Lucky to be able to do so. However, my husband has noticed that the house is much cleaner when A has been here than when it's left to me to do it. Of course.
Today, when going to work (voluntary) I received an anxious text from A that the 'vacuum' wasn't working: it's a sophisticated machine produced by the company headed by a prominant Brexiteer. The last one I owned made by the same company was wonderful: I let it fall down the stairs once and the company replaced the bits that had broken even though it was almost 10 years old. That's not really the point. When I investigated the problem with the new machine, the now too-narrow inlet tube thingy (I don't know how better to describe it) was clogged with hair, paper and 3 cocktail sticks.
That wouldn't have happened if my otherwise very good cleaner had swept the floor before using the machine, the name of which I don't think I can mention, according to Gransnet rules.
My question is: do the new generation of cleaners think they can rely entirely on technology?
I sent A a reassuring text that I'd fixed the problem and got a response that it hadn't been her fault. Indeed not: if the afore-hinted-at company had developed a machine that dealt with the demands of the task it has, presumably, been designed to do, it would cope with hairs, paper and cocktail sticks. To be fair, possibly not the cocktail sticks!
Advice anyone? I do appreciate that I'm very fortunate to be able to afford a cleaner, so please don't tell me that

Tuppence21 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:24:25

Could someone explain why the D***n is so HEAVY? I can’t carry mine upstairs. Does a good job though!

widgeon3 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:52:57

When I rang D to complain that the battery had failed after less than 4 years' service( Little used as I have 3 carpet sweepers. As Tuppence almost says all mine are so heavy they cannot be wrestled upstairs ,,..... except the D which costs so much than the others to run), the young man answering the phone explained that he had just had a phone call from some one whose D battery was in its 9th year without problem. B. good, I'd say . He also explained mine was out of the guarantee period othwerwise he could have helped me.
Needless to say I shall not buy another D as it was very costly per hour service.
M. carpet cleaners are good but they can absolutely keep their ovens and dish-washers

GabriellaG Thu 18-Oct-18 16:13:40

I have a cordless 2 in 1 Beldray 29.6v turbo vacuum cleaner. Lights on the foot and a folding stick handle with two attachments, one for soft furnishings the other a crevice tool.
It has two suction strengths and one charge lasts for 40 minutes on the strongest suction.
The motor and dust caddy are in the hand-held part near the foot and it cleans both hard floors + carpets really effectively.
I bought it from Robert Dyas through Topcashback and it cost £69.99 + free delivery plus I got 12% back from TCB so in effect it cost me £61.59.
All appliances have a 1 year guarantee (EU 2 yr) unless it's from Asda which have a 3 yr g'tee on most electricals.
Dyson give you 5yrs. I imagine mine will last as long as any Dyson or Miele and it's far less clunky.

Willow10 Thu 18-Oct-18 16:27:19

My D cordless started cutting out after just over two years service ( just out of guarantee!) When I rang them they said I needed a new battery and offered to order one for me at cost of around £50. I refused and was pretty miffed because living alone with only three small rooms with carpeting, it had hardly been overused! But I've discovered if I don't use the boost button it will keep going for as long as I need. I still love it, just because it is so light after my previous corded vac.

EmilyHarburn Thu 18-Oct-18 16:29:07

I ask my cleaner not to sweep if she can help it. I feel sweeping raises the dust which all comes down again after she leaves. She uses the vacuum cleaner on hard and on carpeted surfaces. She follows up on hard surfaces with a spray and a microfiber mop. No buckets of water, though she rinses the microfiber mop head cover if it gets dirty. House looks fine.

phoenix Thu 18-Oct-18 16:49:16

Shortlegs, yes, they are as you put it "first world problems" but if GN was not to include such things, it would limit the topics discussed.

I don't have a cleaner, but have found some of the posts on here with regard to the merits of various vacuum cleaners rather helpful.

annep Thu 18-Oct-18 17:11:54

I have a Bosch athlete. bought because it was very light which I need. one of the best purchases I have ever made. 3 settings. does carpet vinyl and laminate. I do like to brush sometimes into corners and just vacuum up.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 18-Oct-18 17:37:49

We have a german make vacuum cleaner and its the best we ever had, we were told that the other popular brand that you are talking about were not very good and tend to have a lot of problems. As for sweeping up before using the vacuum a great big no.

Spangles1963 Thu 18-Oct-18 17:47:30

What's the point of vacuuming if you have to sweep first?! confused. I pick up any items that are obviously too large to go up a vacuum cleaner pipe (or get tangled around the brushes). But sweep first? Never.

lesley4357 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:04:05

When I went to buy a new vacuum I was told the cordless ones have a battery life of 2 years, and IF the battery could be replaced it cost approximately £70!

Craicon Thu 18-Oct-18 18:12:54

I’ve never swept the floor before vacuuming and all my floors downstairs are either tiles or wood. I have a Miele and it will pick up cocktail sticks quite happily (DH regularly uses them then seems to drop them!) plus all the dog and cat hairs. I had a Dyson previously but it was always clogging up, so I won’t touch them now, plus I think he comes across as a bit of a creep on the adverts.

MaddyB Thu 18-Oct-18 19:23:16

OMG This is like the people who rinse plates before putting in the dishwasher. Doh!

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 19:37:58

I am such a dirty Gertie! Obv if I saw a pencil or other similarly large object on the floor if I was vacuuming (Miele) I would pick it up! It is nearly time for my annual vacuum of the picture grin but that is about the only time I wield a vacuum cleaner now.

Kim19 Thu 18-Oct-18 19:58:15

I hoover every year whether it needs it or not.

GreenGran78 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:28:22

Kim19.........a woman after my own heart! smile

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 21:30:26

should say picture rails!!

Pat1949 Thu 18-Oct-18 22:08:28

I tend to vacuum every day., living in a bungalow I go right the way through it, as opposed to living in a house where I swept upstairs every other day. I use a British brand and despite never having swept the floor before vacuuming have never had a problem with it getting blocked.

Shizam Thu 18-Oct-18 23:42:08

I don’t know why you’re not naming those products. I had a very expensive Dyson. Was utterly rubbish. Had to hand brush stairs to get dog hair up. Then a rather good Henry, that died almost the second guarantee was up. Have had a Miele for a few years now that was ace on pet hair. Although dog now dead though. My hair is now the problem. Gets wound around brush thing. Spend ages trying to get it out. It’s hard. But once out, a great machine.

Synonymous Fri 19-Oct-18 00:21:22

Well, I don't think some of you are thinking very clearly when I read some of the comments on this thread. hmm

I have a lovely lady who cleans for me, she comes through an agency so that I have instant backup if she is not well enough to come. Neither I or my husband are physically able to do cleaning and I literally cannot even lift or push my small vacuum machine.

My DH cannot even walk without great difficulty either so we also have a gardener. Lazy is not even in the picture and we would both give our eye teeth to be able to do all our chores ourselves. sad

I am also someone who rinses things which go in the dishwasher because I would not be able to get down to clean the machine so our machine is therefore always fresh, clean and sweet smelling even though it is in constant use. I try not to actually make work for my cleaner as we have to find the money to pay the bill when it comes in.

I employ someone to wash my windows.

I employ someone to valet my car.

I employ someone to decorate.

ETC!

There are many people just like us who need the help of other people. There are other people who have the ability to fulfill those needs in return for money. This is part of what drives the economy of this country.

annep Fri 19-Oct-18 03:07:38

Very true Synonymous. And using an agency sounds like good idea.

petra Fri 19-Oct-18 11:21:46

Why do you think you'll never see Dysons used in Hotels, too many problems.

tiredoldwoman Fri 19-Oct-18 12:58:44

Kazziecookie . Gosh , you're a wonderful cookie !
Hope the arthritis eases off .
I love my Henry , he's faithful and always smiling ! But I wouldn't expect him to be happy with cocktail sticks and paper - that's just daft !
Pick up the big bits , you'll choke him !

grannybuy Fri 19-Oct-18 18:36:27

I have a German vacuum, with bags! I don't like bagless. It is very good, but I haven't tried it with cocktail sticks. I use it on the carpet, but sweep the hard floors. I also have a chargeable hand held one.I still occasionally take the rugs out and brush them as they hang over the wall. I used to brush the stair carpet ( no stairs now ) with a hard hand brush and dustpan. Amazing what comes off ! I also use a mop ( the one with the pedal bucket ) on the hard floors.

grannybuy Fri 19-Oct-18 18:42:19

I'm another one who rinses plates before putting them in the dish washer! DD doesn't and their machine is smelly.

annep Fri 19-Oct-18 22:28:05

My husband rinses them so well I can't tell if the wash has been done or not! What's the point? Sometimes I err on the side of caution and they're washed twice.?