Gransnet forums

Chat

What have ^you^ got plugged in this morning?

(69 Posts)
Liz08 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:11:11

I'm shocked (no pun intended) at how many 'gadgets' I've put on charge since getting up this morning! (It's not usually so many at once, honest).
2 mobile phones, 2 tablets, 2 electric toothbrushes, 1 Kindle, 1 reading lamp and a partridge in a pear tree Morphy Richards Super Vac.....
I hope the national grid can cope sad

MawBroon Sun 18-Nov-18 08:14:31

Relieved you seem to have a solar powered pear tree!
I charge my iPads and mobile overnight and the handheld Dyson is permanently plugged in. The toothbrush was charged the other day but I can’t think of anything else.

tanith Sun 18-Nov-18 08:15:46

I charge my iPad and phone overnight so I’ve just unplugged both. ?

fiorentina51 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:16:12

One electric toothbrush and a tablet plus the usual stuff, fridge and freezer whirring away.

fiorentina51 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:17:06

Forgot a couple of reclining chairs. Does that count?

tanith Sun 18-Nov-18 08:17:23

Haha I forgot about my permanently plugged in Dyson, thanks for the reminder Maw.

Liz08 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:38:45

I can't leave anything plugged in overnight - my DH is paranoid about fires... he's never actually been in a fire, but that just re-enforces his argument!
Whenever we visit friends or relatives they've found themselves in the early morning, bleary eyed waiting ages for the electric kettle to boil, asuming it was switched on as they'd left it. They can't believe how many things he manages to unplug before bedtime. smile

Liz08 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:41:21

A solar powered pear tree .... hmmm.
He'd probably unplug that too. grin

travelsafar Sun 18-Nov-18 08:43:38

Mobile phone is on charge but apart from the kettle, and the fridge freezer and computer can't think of 'owt else at the mo. Hairdryer will go on once i've washed my hair and no doubt the radio and washing machine.

BGrannie1 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:09:40

My OH was a fireman in a previous life and he tells us all NEVER to leave phone or other chargers on overnight - they can easily overheat. Another NEVER is tumble dryers on when we go out or to bed. Both big NO NO's. He also got really cross when he found a visitor had not only got phone charging overnight but under their pillow. That person won't be doing that again.... it was a B&B guest too, didn't stop him telling them in no uncertain terms

Whilst I don't fret about things being plugged in, TV's computers etc, if anything has a lead with another 'box/attachment/can be removed from socket plug' it goes off at night. Quite a simply easy rule.

Always make sure your smoke alarm batteries are replaced, if you can't reach it ask somebody to do it for you.

Lecture over! Sorry …..

labazs1964 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:12:35

just laptop and oh just came down and put kettle on

Caro57 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:12:57

Have UNplugged this morning: mobile phone, iPad, filled the cleaned out dishwasher, emptied ours and the dog's washing machines - all have been on Economy 7 overnight - oh and also the Aga charged overnight too. No central heating so log burner lit, but that doesn't count!

Liz08 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:15:32

Oh, BGranniel, I do hope your OH never meets my OH - we'll never get a moments peace smile, but they do talk a lot of sense.

BGrannie1 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:20:16

Liz08 - LOL - just re-read my post, didn't realise how like him/them I was sounding!! Oh dear, more coffee please!

Granash Sun 18-Nov-18 09:25:12

I never leave my iPad or phone to charge overnight as I was told that once they reach 100%, they should be disconnected. Is this true?

GabriellaG Sun 18-Nov-18 09:26:45

Carol57
I hope that you've read the article on log burners (DM yesterday)
They exude 6 times more pollutants than a modern diesel lorry and 15 times more harmful pollutants than a modern diesel car.
In all, 20% of countrywide pollutants are from log-burners, even the so called 'eco-friendly' burners passed by the EU.

Purplepoppies Sun 18-Nov-18 09:40:38

My mobile charges overnight but definitely not under my pillow. Most modern phones are ok to be left plugged in at 100% for a while. My tablet charges overnight too. I wouldn't charge my laptop overnight as that does get very warm. I really should buy a new battery for it.
I don't have a tumble dryer to worry about. I couldn't unplug my tv/virgin box overnight, I'd miss any late night recordings!!

Nannan2 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:51:50

We regularly charge phones overnight and if you dont leave sky box& tv plugged in it wont be to able record anything youve set to record! The fridge/freezer and cooker are always left plugged in,but i always turn dryer and washer off at the switches on wall (only forget very occasionaly) as they are the type where theyre actually plugged in behind them but that 'connects' the power- as put in by housing association,presumably to make it easier- but my son said it still uses electric overnight if you dont turn them off! And caro57- your dogs have THEIR OWN washing machines?never heard of that before- they must be very pampered pooches!grin When my son can get away with it he leaves his extention switched on with his tv&other ' gaming devices' plugged in,i constantly go turn them off.Goodness knows how much power id save if consoles had never been inventedgrin

nannyof4 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:59:04

I dont have anything running while im in bed,wouldnt dream of having the washing machine or dishwasher on.
Only thing thats been plugged in today is the kettle and 2 laptops.

harrigran Sun 18-Nov-18 09:59:22

I only have a phone and a tablet to recharge but never ever leave them charging overnight, they have been known to catch fire.

BGrannie1 Sun 18-Nov-18 10:03:36

Sorry one more.... from London Fire Brigade page.

www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/batteries-and-chargers/

I'll get my coat now.....!

Nannan2 Sun 18-Nov-18 10:04:18

I was only a little kid at the time- but does anyone else remember the public information film about unplugging everything at night where the family used to go around all the house(in dressing gowns/pyjamas)singing a song about it?"the tv set should be unplugged,last thing thing every night"-i often tell my youngest sons about it(theyre 20&15)as a warning about leaving all their 'stuff' plugged in,but it resulted in eldest turning off ALL the plugs when we went on holiday- i noticed the freezer&put it back on,but when i got home realised he had unplugged tv&sky too,so had nothing recorded at all from while we were away!grin

gerry86 Sun 18-Nov-18 10:13:31

Sadly, the washing machine and the iron

Nannan2 Sun 18-Nov-18 10:16:17

I think maybe they should bring back the BBC public information films- there were a few i seem to recall,about the 'stranger danger' - warning children not to speak to 'strange looking' strangers,and to keep away from playing in or near deep water etc,and one about road safety i think,as well as the one about preventing fires- maybe theyre a bit out- dated but surely they could bring out updated more modern versions of these to do the same job??If some people still remember them(i cant be the only onegrin) they MUST have done some good?children today dont have many guidelines or 'reminders' like these- yes we tell them as parents&grandparents but they look on it as 'nagging' mostly.....hmm

Buffybee Sun 18-Nov-18 10:23:25

I leave everything plugged in permanently, iPad and iPhone charged overnight but I never unplug the chargers.
It would drive me crazy someone going round unplugging and turning off sockets.
Funnily , the only thing I don't do, is leave any washing or drying on overnight!
But the dishwasher goes on last thing. ?