Gransnet forums

Chat

Just like my sister!

(51 Posts)
Fennel Fri 14-Dec-18 15:21:21

I had a strange experience today. There's a lady who shops in Tesco who is the spitting image of my younger sister. Tall and slim with a short white haircut. Many times I've thought, it can't be ....... because she lives in Edinburgh.
Today I spoke to her, and she was very nice about it. She herself has 3 sisters.
The strange thing was, when I got home, went online and there was an email from this sister, with a lovely message.
Normally we're not very close, 9 years between us, and we're of very different natures.
Family is so important.

Anja Fri 14-Dec-18 15:58:12

Fennel waiting in an airport in Jersey I was sitting opposite and elderly couple. I did a double take as the husband was a clone of my father, who died many years ago. I couldn’t help but stare and had to explain myself to them.

We passed a very pleasant half hour before our planes were called. Never found any family links, but oh my! it was uncanny ?

sukie Fri 14-Dec-18 16:01:05

Thank you Fennel for sharing this sweet story. It spoke to me especially because today is my youngest sister's birthday. She passed away over 14 years ago and I miss her every day. Family is so important and sisters are special indeed.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 16:03:37

I would be lost without my "baby" sister.

KatyK Fri 14-Dec-18 16:43:13

I have three sisters. One is not bothered about family but I am very close to the other two, especially the youngest who is 9 years younger than me. I don't know what I'd do without them.

Nanabilly Fri 14-Dec-18 17:10:49

My little sister passed away this week after a long battle with cancer. Treasure them while you have them.

M0nica Fri 14-Dec-18 17:19:02

Nanbilly my condolences. I think the grief that siblings feel when one of them dies is the one relationship nobody even thinks about. My sister died almost 30 years ago, in her mid 40s. Even today, a piece of music came on the radio and my eyes welled up.

When a sister or brother dies, especially when you are close, a whole slice of your childhood disappears with them, the part that was just the two of you. Even though I have another much younger sister, she was too young to remember her older sisters much before they were in secondary school.

Auntieflo Fri 14-Dec-18 17:57:25

Nanabilly flowers

travelsafar Fri 14-Dec-18 18:55:21

Nanabilly sending hugs to you. I lost my youngest brother on the 3rd Dec unexpectedly and the pain is so raw.

kittylester Fri 14-Dec-18 19:19:03

I envy all of you who have sisters. I have brothers to whom I am very close but when my 3 girls get together I realise it's not the same.

Nandalot Fri 14-Dec-18 19:25:11

I had the strangest experience. The get together for my sister’s funeral was held in a hotel; the receptionist was the double of my sister.

Grandma70s Fri 14-Dec-18 19:51:54

I’ve often wondered what it would be like to have a sister. My sister-in-law is nearly as good, and I have a friend who is often taken for my sister, as we look quite similar.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 20:02:14

Nanabilly ???

Nanabilly Fri 14-Dec-18 20:21:14

Thank you ..for the flowers and the thoughts

Bathsheba Fri 14-Dec-18 20:52:21

Oh Nanabilly, so sorry to read this ?.

Bathsheba Fri 14-Dec-18 20:54:17

And travelsafar, my condolences on your loss also ?

Saggi Sat 15-Dec-18 09:37:24

Fennel you are so right....there is 12 years AND two brothers between my sister and me....we weren’t playmates, friends , school buddies, we didn’t giggle over boys together or go out on double dates , we didn’t fuss with each other’s hair or make-up....and she was gone and married before I had a chance to know her really!! She is now 79 and I’m 67 and gradually over the last 10 years we have become the sisters we could’ve been if we had been closer in age!? She is in piorish health but has a good husband who will drive her anywhere but they live in the south coast ... and I am my disabled husbands cater so our meetings are few are far between. But I cherish them all as I know she cannot be with us so very much longer ...even though our mum lived to 92...my sister had an very bad accident 5/6 years ago which she has never fully recovered from. So cherish every text , phone call Skype message from her fennel.... sometimes we get SO involved with our onward going families we forget the family we shared a childhood home with.

Purplepoppies Sat 15-Dec-18 09:39:55

Nanabilly and travelsafar I'm sending virtual hugs and best wishes to you ?.
I have a sister, sadly we aren't close. It's the way we were raised, our father drove a wedge between us by expecting me to live up to my sister and her academic prowess. Our relationship never recovered. I'm very close with my brother, my sister is too. Families are strange.
I only have one child. They wish they had a sibling.

dogsmother Sat 15-Dec-18 09:51:10

This also happened to when holiday one year. I met a woman who was the dead spit of my eldest sister, I actually chatted to her and explained. She allowed me tp take a photo to share with my other sisters. It was uncanny.

Blinko Sat 15-Dec-18 10:14:45

Condolences to Nanabilly and Travelsafar. I lost a dear brother 44 years ago this Christmas. They are always in your heart. flowers

My sister is 13 years younger than me so we didn't grow up together. Since we've become adults, though, we are close. She is pretty and a darling. I value every moment of her company. Even though we live 100 miles apart, I know she's there for me, and I'm sure there for her.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Dec-18 10:23:34

DD wanted a sister but just had brothers. Now she has 2 girls and it is a special relationship. The little one worships her big sis.

Nanabilly I am so sorry for your loss. I sometimes wonder what will happen when one of us siblings goes. I would be heartbroken if one of them dies before I do.

KatyK Sat 15-Dec-18 10:23:37

flowers nanabilly and travelsafar

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 10:25:01

I have only one sibling, my sister who is three years older than me. I have never seen her double, but I miss her every day. She has quite severe mental health issues, and is no longer the person she once was. Additionally she lives 250 miles away from me. Just writing this down has made me feel very sad.

Chicklette Sat 15-Dec-18 10:36:57

A few weeks ago I was watching Judge Rinder and there was a lady on who was the image of my Mum. She was even a singer like my Mum. I had to take a photo and sent it to all my family who agreed. I couldn’t stop watching.

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 10:38:22

Nannability, so sorry for your loss flowers