Gransnet forums

Chat

Just like my sister!

(52 Posts)
Fennel Fri 14-Dec-18 15:21:21

I had a strange experience today. There's a lady who shops in Tesco who is the spitting image of my younger sister. Tall and slim with a short white haircut. Many times I've thought, it can't be ....... because she lives in Edinburgh.
Today I spoke to her, and she was very nice about it. She herself has 3 sisters.
The strange thing was, when I got home, went online and there was an email from this sister, with a lovely message.
Normally we're not very close, 9 years between us, and we're of very different natures.
Family is so important.

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 10:40:18

Travelsafar, so sorry for your loss too flowers

Rosina Sat 15-Dec-18 10:47:02

Aren't we all supposed to have a double somewhere? We were on holiday with the children, sitting around the swimming pool when suddenly, all at once, we saw our friend sitting the other side of the pool in a relaxed pose with his arm around ANOTHER WOMAN - not his wife! Our amazed stares alerted him at once and he smiled - he wasn't our friend but the resemblance was absolutely amazing. I wish I had taken his photo; he was an absolute double apart from being slightly taller.

Willow10 Sat 15-Dec-18 10:50:57

I must have at least one double, if not more. I'm always being stopped and mistaken for someone else! And there was me thinking I was unique!confused

MissAdventure Sat 15-Dec-18 11:02:30

I once opened a magazine and saw my double in a photo taken in the 60s.
This woman was on a motorbike and had a beehive hairdo, but she looked exactly like me.
It was the strangest feeling.

Chucky Sat 15-Dec-18 11:05:47

My sister and brothers are all still alive and live within 3 miles. However I never see them. My sister, who I would love to be close too, isn’t interested. I thought it was because I am significantly younger than her, but one of the group of friends she does everything with is even younger. I fell out with one brother’s wife as she was so jealous of how close my dm and I were, and did her best to alienate me from the rest of the family, saying really horrible things, and it worked. Her husband and my sisters husband are extremely close and they holiday together. At the time I was not interested in sticking up for myself as I was working and nursing my mother through her final illness. Nobody apart from my own dds offered any help. My eldest brother is an alcoholic and accused my dd1 of stealing from my mother, which definitely did not happen (my mother gave her a special piece of jewellery to thank her for the immense amount of help she had given her). Needless to say he was more than delighted to add fuel to my sils fire! He even tried to involve a lawyer as he wanted that piece of jewellery for his daughter!
To those of you who enjoy(ed) close relationships with your siblings, I really envy you and to those who have lost brothers or sisters flowers

harrigran Sat 15-Dec-18 11:32:00

I have a double who lives within a mile or two of me. I once went into a store to enquire about a camera for DH and the assistant got quite uppity and told me that no she didn't have it especially as it was less than an hour since my last enquiry. Not me must have been my double.
A woman ran after me once as I left a supermarket shouting "Mam", even fooled the family.
Two weeks ago I had to have blood taken at the hospital and the nurse said "you back again" I just agreed with her, not sure she would believe that I have a doppleganger. What I find very strange is this woman not only looks like me but has the same kind of tastes and scarily the same health problems.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 15-Dec-18 11:34:30

dogsmother At some time in our life it would not be unusual to come across our own or a relatives doppelganger.To meet that person must be quite an experience.

Marieeliz Sat 15-Dec-18 11:52:13

So sorry for your loss. I had a brother younger than me, he died in 2010. He looked out for me, we have no other family. I miss him every day. My heart breaks at this time of year no one to share Christmas memories with.

Candelle Sat 15-Dec-18 12:01:14

Although I have an older sister she is a difficult, prickly person. She didn't pull her weight with our elderly disabled mother (in fact she even moved continents shortly after our mother's diagnosis) and although she can be pleasant and chatty for a while, she will eventually write the most appalling nasty emails.

I would love to have a better relationship with her and I always take the 'life is too short' approach, ignoring her nastiness and being the one to instigate our relationship once more but a recent bout of two such mails has made me re-think. Do I really want this person in my life?

Having a sister should be wonderful but like many things, life is not perfect and people are not either!

As to doppelgangers, I am often told I was somewhere that I wasn't. I understand that there are 'types' of faces and people fit into a certain category. This seems to make sense to me - we all have a particular ratio, eyes to nose to chin etc., and therefore can easily have a double somewhere.

Well, that's the theory!

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 12:34:40

Cancelled, it sounds as if you have a similar situation to mine, as I said before she has mental health issues, but some of the texts she writes to me and our 91 year old mother, are so unbelievably unpleasant and nasty, you would wonder if we were actually related to this person at all. She also refuses to pull her weight with regard to our elderly mother, with the result that earlier this year, my mother made the enormous decision for a person her age, to move 250 miles to be near us. She now lives in a sheltered apartment a few minutes from us, and we do all the care etc. I know our mother is quite demanding, but I could never abandon her as my sister did when Mum lived near to her.

maddyone Sat 15-Dec-18 12:45:52

I mea Candelle, this iPad has a mind of it’s own!

vandab46 Sat 15-Dec-18 13:39:24

I envy all of you that have sisters, I have 3 half sisters and we are not close at all, one lives in Wales one is Canadian and lives there and the other one lives about 180 miles from me. She and I were close but over the years she has turned into a person I don't like anymore, get abusive about my Canadian family and lies about me to her kids. She does drink and this is part of the problem, so treasure your sisters before it's too late.

ffinnochio Sat 15-Dec-18 14:14:54

My sister lives almost half the world away, and is 8 years older. She is not technically minded, but we spend hours on the phone every fortnight or so. We’ve become closer as we’ve aged, and during a very tumultuous year, has been my rock.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-Dec-18 15:26:56

My sister's husband has a double and we certainly did a double when we first saw him as he appeared to be driving the same car.

Marmight Sat 15-Dec-18 15:47:56

I had no brothers or sisters, neither did my late DH so life is quite lonely. I so envy those of you who do and have such a wonderful relationship with them. I had 3 children as I didn't want them to experience such family loneliness. They all have good relationships with each other and their in-laws and the gc's have lots of cousins. I still find it difficult to share them with the 'other' lot. Such is the life of a lonely only....

hulahoop Sat 15-Dec-18 16:23:54

Nanabilly and travelsafar ? I lost a sister this time last year . I have other sisters we don't spend a lot of time together but are there at the end of a phone when needed I wish it was more but they seem happy with this so I accept this ?

grannybuy Sat 15-Dec-18 16:41:03

I was leafing through a pictorial history of my home city, when I came upon a picture of two young girls taken probably in the early 1900's. It was the image of myself and my cousin when we were about the same age. My jaw dropped! I phoned a cousin, who I knew had the same book, and told him to look at that page. He immediately said" It's you and Kathleen!" When I showed it to my mother, despite the outfits, she immediately thought it was my cousin and I. She said, " That's a good picture, when was it taken?" It was uncanny, and even now, I almost think it's 'us' when I look at it. Strange coincidences do happen.

Sheilasue Sat 15-Dec-18 17:28:37

Yes I know what you mean, I have often drove down to our local shops and seen a lady like my sister. My sister and I are fairly close now but for a long time it was a difficult relationship.

Sheilasue Sat 15-Dec-18 17:33:49

I absolutely love my brother we have such a laugh when we phone one another or meet up. He’s such a lovely guy, he lost his wife 15 years ago, they had known one another since she was 13. I met her at my comprehensive school. I do miss her she was so lovely. He’s 76 now and older then me I am always telling him to grow up.

Granfran Sun 16-Dec-18 00:26:51

I have a younger half brother who came looking for me 5 years ago. I knew about him but we were not in each others lives. Our father died when he was 7 and as a result of a dreadful childhood he finds it very hard to trust but we both try hard to make it work. He is the image of our Dad and when we met it was like something inside said “oh there you are, I’ve been waiting for you” So grateful to have a brother after all these years.

Davidhs Sun 16-Dec-18 07:43:08

A friend once asked me, do you have a twin brother living in New Zealand, - no definitely not. Then 6 months later a 3rd cousin from NZ visited us, we had never met him before, he was a double for my father.

It's interesting all my NZ relatives are from the female line, so a lot of dominant genes there, none of the men had children.

Anniebach Sun 16-Dec-18 08:36:25

I have three sisters, two live in the same town as me, one lives 5 miles outside town. We were very close but there was a disagreement two years ago and they haven’t spoken to me since. One did send me a text saying she felt very guilty but she would have to learn to live with the guilt. I miss them but have accepted I will never see them again. They fell out with our brother over twenty years ago and haven’t spoken to him since, he lives just outside town too.

TwiceAsNice Sun 16-Dec-18 08:54:56

I would have loved to have a sister. I have a brother who is 7 years younger than me. We have never been close I had a difficult relationship with my mother and she turned him against me. We did try for a while as adults but it was always me instigating things and he didn't help me at all at an awful period in my life so I have given up now and haven't been in contact for several years. If I'm honest I don't miss him. My best friend is like a sister to me and we are so close would do anything for each other. My daughters lost their brother in childhood the youngest was a toddler and doesn't remember him but the oldest was 8 and remembers him vividly and says she misses what she would like to have had

Fennel Sun 16-Dec-18 09:08:53

Nannabilly and Travelsafar- I've just caught up with thread. So sorry to hear of your losses, condolences to both .
I must make more effort to keep in touch with my little sister.
I didn't think there would be so many replies!

SaraC Sun 16-Dec-18 12:24:01

Nannabilly ?and Travelasfar ?. I hope you can find some comfort, in time, in happy memories. Sending you hugs too.