Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this yet another scam?

(31 Posts)
annsixty Fri 21-Dec-18 15:17:33

Just received an e-mail telling me my tv licence expires in 2 days with details how to renew through a bank.
As It is several years since we paid for a licence, this is obviously bogus, the fact that the tv may go off at Christmas may panic some folk.
Having read the schedules it may be a blessing.

Applegran Sat 22-Dec-18 18:28:23

I had a scam emial saying I'd almost reached the limit of emails my in box could hold and I needed to click on a link to up my storage capacity. It looked convincing especially as I thought it could be true that I've kept too many emails. Luckily I checked on line and it is a scam which has been around for several years.

lemongrove Sat 22-Dec-18 18:35:01

Did they actually say that your tv ‘would go off’ ? Rather a scam giveaway.

Skweek1 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:24:16

If in doubt I check - my bugbear is that I do use EBay and every so often people have used my e-bay account to place fake orders. I e-mail the seller and tell them that I didn't place the order and then contact EBay who are always brilliant - really helpful. The last time was for an expensive camera and lenst, a parka and some baby equipment. At over 70, not a photographer, having a perfectly good parka and no babies in the offing, EBay had a good laugh!

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Dec-18 12:55:26

I received one allegedly from PayPal yesterday, saying my details needed to be updated. They couldn't even write decent English!

sazz1 Sun 23-Dec-18 16:42:20

I had the same email