Gransnet forums

Chat

Live alone? Have this in your bedroom!

(39 Posts)
Tillybelle Sat 22-Dec-18 19:06:23

Last night I could not open my bedroom door. It had me firmly imprisoned inside my bedroom upstairs. I realised, being alone, do I have to call the Fire Brigade? I had a torch in the bedroom and could see that the catch was not moving when I turned the handle. It opened towards me so I could not kick it open. I had a "jemmy" or crowbar about two feet long in my bedroom (don't ask) so I tried to jemmy open the door but my jemmy was too big to fit between the door and the edge.
I looked around and found - aha! a screwdriver! which I used some time earlier to put up a shelf and didn't put away. Thank God I am untidy! I unscrewed all the screws round the door fastener, eased the screwdriver into the gap and somehow managed to force the catch back! I then had to take the entire door catch mechanism off the door in case it locked me in again!

the lesson from this experience therefore is:

always have a screwdriver in your bedroom, especially if you live alone!

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 15:41:43

I know Jalima, it's more bravado really.
Hopefully the dog would see them off while I put my head under the covers. ?

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:41:50

That's the answer - a dog!
Although I know one or two who would welcome them with waggy tails.

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 17:01:07

She would probably bark Jalima then jump under the covers with me. ?
I'm not too worried as Dson has assured me that they target houses with all the top technology.
I should be ok then with my old tv and CD player.

Rufus2 Fri 28-Dec-18 09:32:03

I also have a crowbar in my bedroom, under my bed
Buffybee; Try the subtle approach and have some of your famous Taquila Sunrises to hand. You know; "1 Taquila , 2Taquila 3Taquila, floor! Then hit him with your crowbar! When he comes to, he'll think it's a huge hangover as you kick him out the door! tchgrin
wine wine wine

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 10:04:40

Two of my DC managed in their turn to lock one of their siblings in a room when off to school (probably accidentally tchwink). One had to ring me to dash home from work (after failing to climb through a window) as they’d set the house alarm off, the other escaped by kicking out a panel in the door, Wonder Woman style.

Neither escape as dramatic as DH’s when he was in his teens and locked in. He went down in the cellar and tried to squeeze through the coal hole, got stuck halfway, and had to call weakly for help till a passing pedestrian hauled him out. Oh, how I wish I could have been there!

Buffybee Fri 28-Dec-18 12:36:54

Haha! Nice one, Rufus!
You do make me laugh!

BlueSapphire Sun 30-Dec-18 18:50:21

I'm a bit late to this thread, aren't I? (Only just found it and had a good chuckle). DH used to have to work abroad for weeks at a time, so I used to keep a steak basher/tenderiser under the bed. Then he bought me a German Shepherd who would have had a good go at anyone who broke in. Especially as she slept on the bed next to me...although she wouldn't have been much good at opening stuck doors!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 01-Jan-19 17:43:16

I hope everyone is joking about clonking an intruder on the head with a crowbar.

If not, please remember that you could be charged with manslaughter if the intruder dies due to being hit on the head with your crowbar.

Legally, you can use "reasonable force" to prevent someone from harming you, but I doubt any procurator fiscal would find thumping someone with a crowbar "reasonable force"

A fully charged mobile phone would be a safer option!

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:50:01

I wouldn’t worry about the later consequences of clonking somebody on the head.They could kill you after all, so getting a good clonk in first would be my goal.
If they are creeping about your bedroom that’s a chance they must be prepared to take.

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:53:22

Perhaps a golf club would be better though.??????

lemongrove Tue 01-Jan-19 17:54:19

Cheaper than an alsation.

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:49:11

but not as cuddly ……
although I would prefer a retriever myself.
It could also retrieve the crowbar from under the bed

Deedaa Tue 01-Jan-19 22:38:22

DH and I have only recently realised that, with only two of us in the house, there is no need to lock the bathroom door! If the door is closed one of us is in there and unlocked is much safer if one of us is taken ill.