Gransnet forums

Chat

Odd query about an odd experience

(89 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:18:24

I know its most peculiar but I thought I'd ask if I'm being daft. The problem is re a folding bed. We bought it a few years ago from Argos. We keep it in a downstairs store room. Its very cold there. It was last used in July when DGS came to stay. We put it up in the bedroom next to my bed. So far so good. However, in the middle of the night we were disturbed by a constant chirping noise. It was very high pitched and repetitive. We both listened to it and checked thoroughly that DGS wasnt somehow causing the noise eg by squeaking the springs. He absolutely wasn't. We somehow fell asleep again and life went on. The bed was folded away and put down in the store room again.
On Friday DGS came to stay again and the same thing happened!! As he fell asleep it started up again. Even when we lifted him out and put him in my bed the chirping went on. It seemed to come from 3 different locations in the mattress. Are we mad? Could it be hatching cicada larvae or similar? DGS's body temp raising the temp enough? Its a horrible thought. DH checked where the mattress was made and it was China.
Its such a mystery. The folding bed is so handy but not if we can't use it due to the sounds it emits!
Any thoughts?

starbird Mon 24-Dec-18 14:37:28

If the frame was a hollow metal tube a mouse could have got in there - perhaps a dormouse hoping to hibernate.

Jane10 Mon 24-Dec-18 14:52:58

Nope! We've shaken the frame and knocked it. It's solid tubing. We really truly have thought of everything!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 24-Dec-18 15:42:10

Open it outside then no danger if anything getting onto the carpet.
Get your DH to do it if you're squeamish.
If it were mice there'd be holes somewhere ans scraps of chewed fabric.
By the way, my sister had bruxism and her teeth made a sort of high pitched shreik, like chalk on a backboard.

Caro57 Mon 24-Dec-18 15:47:20

Bats?

Jane10 Mon 24-Dec-18 15:48:08

Hannah please look at the posts where I've already said it's gone!!

Theoddbird Mon 24-Dec-18 20:20:17

Just a thought. Did your grandchild grind his teeth when sleeping?

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Dec-18 20:48:27

I’m so pleased the problem is sorted if not solved. I assume you now have a nice new mattress.

As a solution to small insects, may I suggest a pet spider. At our old house we would be beset with spiders every autumn coming in from the cold. No matter how many I removed more came. Webs and spider droppings appearing overnight. Every night. Then we moved to this old place and have a resident house spider. Just the one. She’s huge and lives mainly in the sitting room. We can actually hear her pitter pat of tiny toes when she runs across the floor. But there are no other spiders or any other insects in the house. There are quite a few in the conservatory though as she can’t get under the door!

Jane10 Mon 24-Dec-18 22:27:13

Eek! Sounds scary. We don't have much of a spider problem though. Baz just puts his massive paw on them and that's it. He doesn't know what to do with them after that though so I have to dispose of the bodies confused

craftergran Tue 25-Dec-18 06:07:15

Sometimes it is best not to know what is inside. You can never unsee something and with me, at least, every mattress in the house would possibly have same "thing" had I seen it, but not until the point of dropping off to sleep.

Then I'd be up and out of bed like a crazy woman ear to every mattress in the house at midnight.

Glad you have taken it to the dump, intact.

marionk Wed 26-Dec-18 07:51:40

You would definitely smell mice if they had been in residence for any length of time

Onestepbeyond Wed 26-Dec-18 13:01:20

Get rid and buy a new one, also just for fun check all your smoke alarm batts...

Chewbacca Wed 26-Dec-18 13:28:20

Onestep, the OP confirmed 3 days ago that she'd disposed of it, so its long gone!

Jane10 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:38:44

onestepbeyond the noise was nothing like the sound of a smoke alarm with low batteries. It was exactly like cicadas.