Gransnet forums

Chat

my son has left his wife

(65 Posts)
Grannibobs Tue 15-Jan-19 09:17:45

My son left his wife and two sons recently and moved back home. He has since started seeing another woman. I'm very upset I love my son and daughter in law and my grandchildren. I can't bear seeing them upset. My dilemma is that my daughter in law doesn't know about this other woman. My son won't tell her and I feel bad knowing and not saying anything. If I tell her she's going to be devastated but if I don't I feel like I'm lying to her. Just don't know what to do . If I say something maybe they'll never get back together. I can't sleep and worry about it constantly. Can anyone advise me.

FarNorth Tue 15-Jan-19 09:27:25

I think your son has to be honest with his wife.
Tell him you can't stand lying to her and that you feel you will have to tell her if he won't do it.
If he doesn't think their marriage is over, why is he seeing someone else?

FarNorth Tue 15-Jan-19 09:29:56

If he doesn't want you to be involved in what he does, and what he says to his wife, he shouldn't be living in your home.
Maybe a suggestion that he find somewhere else to live could focus his mind on being straight with everyone.

mcem Tue 15-Jan-19 09:34:00

In a similar situation I simply said that I wasn't happy with the situation, that I was not ready to meet the new 'friend' and that he/she would not be welcome in my home.
If you mean he has moved home to your home he has no right to impose this situation on you. Is he bringing her to your home?
Your house your rules.
Rightly or warongly, I'd be tempted to say how unhappy yon are about feeling disloyal to your DiL and that if he doesn't discuss things with her then you will.

NanaandGrampy Tue 15-Jan-19 09:35:33

I agree with Farnorth , it’s not your secret to tell and I suspect your DiL would shoot the messenger!

However, you are enabling your son , so I would have a conversation with him and tell him you’re not lying for him. Put the responsibility straight back on him .

For what it’s worth , if he were my son , I wouldn’t have made it so easy for him to leave his wife by offering a refuge. I know you love him but it’s so easy to move back home with Mum. If your escape had not been there , might he have stayed at home ? Worked a bit harder at his marriage? Not found it so easy to cheat?

I don’t know but I really feel for you in the situation you’re in .

Grammaretto Tue 15-Jan-19 09:36:07

I agree with FarNorth.
Are the DC very young? Children notice things and if you don't tell their mum she'll find out soon enough.

mumofmadboys Tue 15-Jan-19 09:37:40

I haven't been in this situation but I would keep quiet unless my DIL asked a direct question. I wouldn't lie. I would explain that to my son. I think you just have to give him time and see where that leads. Of course you are sad and I feel for you.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 09:39:44

I wouldn't have taken him in under those circumstances. It's so mean to put you under this obligation because he has another woman. The DiL will now think that you condone this behaviour and are party to it.

I'd have sent him right back to sort it all out between them.

Lily65 Tue 15-Jan-19 09:44:21

Basically he is using you and not respecting you. He is an adult and needs to get on with it.

You must have quite a big house which is lucky.

Grannibobs Tue 15-Jan-19 09:46:38

Thank you all for your advice. Initially my daughter in law asked me to let my son come to my home. She was very worried about him and wanted me to be there for him. He had had mental issues in the past and she was worried because of his behaviour. It is totally out of character for him to behave like this. I told my son since learning about this other woman that I'm really not happy so he said he would leave. I told him the real problem is that he isn't being honest with his wife and if he doesn't tell her I will. He's aware of this now but I still feel it might not be right. I'm torn.

Granny23 Tue 15-Jan-19 09:46:44

You don't say what was the original reason. or explanation for the split. As a completely detached person. it seems to me that there is a strong possibility that this 'other woman' was already in the picture before the split and that your DIL may know this but is choosing to turn a blind eye in hopes that it will fizzle out and your son will return to his family.

Fennel Tue 15-Jan-19 09:47:54

" The DiL will now think that you condone this behaviour and are party to it."
Good point EllanV.
Grannibobs - if your son wants to leave his wife and family he needs to find a place of his own to live. Is he working?
It's a very sad situation, but it's their problem, not yours.
I have a close friend who is going through the same thing with her son, though he doesn't live with her. She's so upset, it has changed her.

Grannibobs Tue 15-Jan-19 09:50:57

I agree with what you say. I've told him in no uncertain terms how wrong he is. I don't want to know about this woman. I've told him numerous times to sort things out. My daughter in law doesn't deserve this.

Luckygirl Tue 15-Jan-19 09:51:15

An important issue for you must be seeing the grandchildren. If you fall foul of your DIL by keeping this secret then you may put this in jeopardy.

However, I am not suggesting that you tell her, simply that you continue to be clear with your son that you are not going to collude with him in this - and that he must tell her what is going on. She is likely to be understandably furious when she finds out and knew that you were aware all along.

Grannibobs Tue 15-Jan-19 09:54:35

I don't know what the reason for leaving was. My son and daughter in law both said they had been having problems for a while but didn't really go into detail. If I'd known he was going to go off with someone else I wouldn't have made him feel welcome in my home.

Buffybee Tue 15-Jan-19 10:07:33

I don't agree with the people who say that you shouldn't have let your son stay with you. He's your son, of course he comes to you if his marriage isn't working out. All this talk of, if you hadn't made it so easy for him to leave, they might have worked it out is rubbish.
If he has fallen out of love with his wife, nothing is going to get them back together.
I don't think that you should tell your Dil about the woman he is seeing but I would tell your son that you don't want to be involved with this woman in any way, until he does tell his wife and whatever you do, don't have her in your home. Be very firm about that.
When he goes out to see her, tell him that you don't want to know,
as it's not fair on you and making you feel disloyal to your Dil.
Then treat him as a house guest and don't get involved with his private life so much.
Look after your Dil and Grandchildren and just do your best, that's all you can do. flowers

mcem Tue 15-Jan-19 10:10:42

There's a fine line between lying and not telling the whole truth!
I do feel for you and think you've handled it as well as possible so far. You clearly thought you were cooperating with your DiL by taking him in and it's sad that your good intentions seem to have backfired.
I agree that you must stop enabling him and let him deal with it.

Buffybee Tue 15-Jan-19 10:15:09

Sorry X post, I see that he is now moving out.
I still wouldn't interfere in their business and tell the Dil.
He should tell her but that is up to him, not you.

sodapop Tue 15-Jan-19 10:22:33

Its a catch 22 situation Grannibobs either way your daughter in law is going to be upset, if you tell her it may be shoot the messenger if you don't tell her you are colluding with your son.
I understand you offering a bolt hole to your son but he was clearly not honest with you, I think you should insist he tells his wife the truth or finds somewhere else to live. Sometimes we have set boundaries even if our children are adults.
If there is a mental health issue here then he needs to get help for that.

Liz46 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:23:20

I do admire the way one of my neighbour's MIL has behaved. Her son left my neighbour yet his mother still frequently goes round to do the school run etc. and is obviously still good friends with her ex DIL. Her son was banned from entering his old home so when he comes to collect his children, his mother keeps him on the doorstep!

Eventually my neighbour met another man and her ex MIL seems to have made friends with him too!

GabriellaG54 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:25:43

The two words which say it all are BACK HOME.
Home, to your son, is the place he shared with his wife and children.
He's moved into YOUR home which stopped being his when he launched his adult life and got married.
I think it's wrong to keep schtum about his 'other woman'.
Your DIL will be mighty cross if she thinks you've been in cahoots with him about his other relationship.
AC shouldn't bounce back to mum and dad when things go wrong.
Let him sort out his life on his own without facilitating clandestine relationships, otherwise your DiL could start limiting your time with the GC.
I bet the OP is cooking, cleaning and doing his laundry.
My advice? Chuck him out.

GabriellaG54 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:34:00

There seem to be increasing numbers of people with mental health issues.
On almost every thread, somewhere, you'll find that someone has blamed or excused behaviour on a person they know having mental health issues.
Why can't people cope any more? We have it easy compared to yesteryear.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Jan-19 10:40:19

The fact that the son in question has had mental health issues in the past probably put his mother on the back foot here.

Katekeeprunning Tue 15-Jan-19 10:43:06

Maybe he wants the easy option which is you telling his wife for him? Men can be cowards

Nannyxthree Tue 15-Jan-19 10:47:59

Perhaps DIL guessed that there was someone else in his life and asked for him to be allowed home with you rather than give him the option of moving in with her.