Gransnet forums

Chat

Help re electric blanket

(15 Posts)
Anja Sat 19-Jan-19 16:45:52

Just bought an electric blanket for first time. It’s a Silent Night.

Come to put it on bed. Has network of wires running under the surface which look unconfortable to lie on even if covered by a sheet. I have a mattress protector but it says quite clearly the blanket must go on top of any protector.

How on earth does one sleep on this?

Princess and the Pea situation?

aggie Sat 19-Jan-19 16:53:58

I have the mattress protector on top of the electric blanket !

tessagee Sat 19-Jan-19 16:56:17

I use lightweight duvet between sheet and electric blanket but I do use the electric blanket
for warming the bed only ie I always turn it off before getting into bed. Hope this helps.

Anja Sat 19-Jan-19 17:00:18

Thanks both of you. I think I’ll put my summer duvet between it and the bottom fitted sheet.

M0nica Sun 20-Jan-19 08:37:14

I use a blanket rather than a mattress protector and put it under that. Like others, the blanket is switched off before I get into bed, which is what every electric under blanket I have ever seen says in the instructions.

Anja Sun 20-Jan-19 08:57:45

Mine can be left on Monica.

The summer duvet idea worked well. Thank you.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Jan-19 09:56:37

My OH has an electric duvet which is kept on all night - it has been a great blessing as it keeps him warm but is lightweight, so he can move - although he still needs turning.

GabriellaG54 Sun 20-Jan-19 10:09:04

On chilly nights, instead of ramping up the heating in the bedroom, I warm the bed by holding my hairdryer on full heat for about 60 seconds between bottom sheet and duvet till the duvet rises, making sure to angle the nozzle to about 8 o'clock and do not leave it under the covers. This warms all the bed. Hold the duvet or upper covers whilst doing this.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Jan-19 11:00:33

If you haven't used it, I would return it to the shop and buy one that is specifically made to be placed under a mattress protector.

mabon1 Sun 20-Jan-19 12:09:29

Switch it off before you get into the bed, wear a pair of woolly bed socks, I mean wool ie from a sheep, they can make a huge difference to a good night's sleep.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 20-Jan-19 13:45:47

This is my way and it works for me. .A mattress protector goes on first followed by my Silent Night under blanket which I bought on recommendation.
A lightweight blanket then goes on top followed by my cotton fitted sheet. An hour, maybe longer if its a chilly night, before going to bed, I switch on the electric blanket at its highest.Sheer bliss.smile
I switch off before getting into bed and have never left it on all night and don't intend doing so and neither do I find the network of wires to be uncomfortable.

Anja Sun 20-Jan-19 14:30:58

I’m sorted now. I do need to have it on at times during the night as I’ve pulled some back muscles and the heat helps ease the pain, which is quite crippling,

You won’t find the network of wires uncomfortable will you sarah as you’ve cushioned them with a blanket between the wires and the fitted sheet. I’ve done the same but used a very thin summer duvet.

Bijou Sun 20-Jan-19 15:30:17

I have used an electric blanket since they were first invented because of back problems. In fact the first was from
the hospital before on sale to the public. My present one I leave on for hours before retiring on the lowest setting. Some cold nights I keep it on. I have a light fleece blanket between it and the sheet.

merlotgran Sun 20-Jan-19 15:38:46

Crumbs! I must be a bit odd because I just have a fitted sheet over the top of the electric blanket and although you can see the outline of the wires I can't feel them. There's a mattress protector under the blanket.

I don't think I could be bothered will all those extra blankets.

Lindaylou55 Sun 20-Jan-19 15:44:16

I have used the Cozee Home range of bedding from Qvc for the last 6 years. I have bought them for all my family, in fact my mil told me they are the only present I have ever bought her she really liked. They are a micro fleece and it's like getting a hug so cosy when you get into bed you don't need anything else to heat you up.