Gransnet forums

Chat

Ornaments

(26 Posts)
b1zzle Mon 21-Jan-19 14:17:16

Many years ago, I heard/read something about the way animal/bird ornaments should face the door of a room. Anyone else heard about this? I know it applies to elephants in feng shui but don't know if that's relevant for all other creatures.

EllanVannin Mon 21-Jan-19 14:28:57

Mine are positioned where they'll squeeze in hahahaha.

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Jan-19 15:03:08

My elephants are facing each other - are they about to commence battle or just having a chat?

Greyduster Mon 21-Jan-19 15:03:50

I don’t know about birds and animals, but I have a rosewood carving of a Chinese dragon funerary boat. It always faces toward the door. Not sure if this is right or wrong!

BlueBelle Mon 21-Jan-19 15:05:29

My mum collected Elephonts and always said they had to face 5he door something about elephants being afraid of fire and needing to be able to get out quickly !!! Never heard it about other birds or animals though

Mapleleaf Mon 21-Jan-19 15:48:50

Never heard of this before, and I won’t be changing the position of my ornaments to suit this. Some face the door, some don’t! ??

LullyDully Mon 21-Jan-19 15:48:53

Good to know that in a fire the " animals" will make their own escape, Bluebell.

I suppose the Dragon may be responsible for the fire.

ninathenana Mon 21-Jan-19 15:53:42

I've never hear this. I have a collection of dolphin ornaments, they are all arranged faceing away from the door.

MiniMoon Mon 21-Jan-19 16:06:25

I've got two birds on the desk in the hall. The kingfisher faces the door out of the house, the wren faces the kitchen door. confused

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 16:40:40

I dont have ornaments ,only a Buddha ,should he face the door? I know I shouldn't rub/polish his bald head but I have no idea why.The guy in the shop where I bought him told me not to so I dont .I've had him about 25 years and strangely his head is never dusty .

Willow500 Mon 21-Jan-19 16:45:48

Paddyann I have a buddha - my MIL gave all her children one years ago with strict instructions we HAVE to rub his head to bring us wealth. Maybe that's where we've been going wrong grin

My elephant faces the door but my bird ornaments (my mother's) are at the top of the stairs and all face each other!

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Jan-19 16:46:16

I've moved my elephants and they're now on the window sill - will that do?
They can open the window and climb out if necessary.

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 17:15:42

I rub his fat tummy ,thats what the man said to do for wealth....that doesn't work either Willow500

Nannylovesshopping Mon 21-Jan-19 19:26:22

My buddah faces east, as I rarely dust anything, I’ve just been to have a look at him, he is quite dusty but his head is not....... I do not rub him, ? that does look odd written down!

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 20:48:49

LOL Nannylovesshopping yes it does look odd written .

BlueBelle Mon 21-Jan-19 21:24:36

I think it’s only elephants that have to face the door
Yes window sill should be fine Jalima as long as the handles not to high ???

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Jan-19 23:05:19

the window leads straight outside whereas the door leads into the hall, so the windowsill is better!

knspol Tue 22-Jan-19 11:33:13

I have a chinese dragon purchased in China and was told when I bought it that the head should always face the door to bring good luck and wealth. Not sure it's always worked but why risk changing ?

Craftycat Tue 22-Jan-19 11:37:52

I'm off to turn my elephants round.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 22-Jan-19 13:17:49

Ninety % of my ornaments are now safely boxed and awaiting collection from a local animal charity where they will be sold on their open day. Hopefully bringing in desperately needed cash for homeless unwanted pets.At my age I can find better things to do than dust and fiddle around where to place this where to place that.

lemongrove Tue 22-Jan-19 15:27:30

What a hilarious idea, that ornaments should face a certain way ? what bright spark thought that one up?

David1968 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:06:07

Having just looked online at "feng shui and animal ornaments" I'm surprised to see the various suggestions! (I had no idea of these.) Sadly I can't find anything about how to "place" a small wooden hippo.....

Jalima1108 Tue 22-Jan-19 18:12:04

Don't hippos like mud, glorious mud, David1968? grin

I'm moving the elephants round, fed up with looking at their backsides tails

Magrithea Tue 22-Jan-19 18:41:08

Feng (or Fung) Shui is a complicated subject - we lived in Hong Kong for 20 years and I learnt a little about it but wouldn't call myself an expert. I found this website - feng-shui.lovetoknow.com/feng-shui-tips/placement-decorations-feng-shui - which looks interesting if you want further advice

BradfordLass72 Tue 22-Jan-19 18:56:06

I have many Korean friends and some of them have pairs of ceramic Mandarin wedding ducks in the hallway.

One lady told me if they face towards one another, all is harmony between husband and wife.
If, however, they have a row, one of them can turn the ducks back to back until ready to make peace.

Wikipedia has an interesting entry about Wedding Ducks.