Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen at the WI

(103 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 25-Jan-19 09:46:00

I had to smile at the thought of her majesty attending a WI meeting , I know she has been a member for years but the thought of her taking along her home baking to be judged and her cup for tea. What catagory of competition might she win ?

RosieLeah Fri 25-Jan-19 09:49:08

Apparently, she enjoys playing at tea-parties, making a cup of tea and washing up afterwards. Margaret Thatcher bought her a pair of Marigold washing up gloves!

Floradora9 Fri 25-Jan-19 09:50:17

Just had a thought Empire Biscuits shld be a winner for her or Queen of Puddings .

JessK Fri 25-Jan-19 09:50:21

She only attends the annual meeting and I bet their cups and saucers are better than the ones at the WI I go to!

Jane10 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:20:21

She seems to have led a team for a 'Pointless' style competition and did very well. Nice to hear of her having some fun at an event. I hope she enjoyed herself.

anxiousgran Fri 25-Jan-19 13:42:43

I wondered if their meeting place was a church hall like ours grin and if anyone snuck off to make tea while she was still speaking.
Still, glad she was addressing a serious issue. I worry about the deep divisions happening in the country.

Elrel Fri 25-Jan-19 14:33:05

I think a lot of us are either quietly worrying or trying to ignore the changes likely to happen in the coming months.

Iam64 Fri 25-Jan-19 15:21:31

The Queen is an increasingly important figure imo. Her Christmas message and now her comments at the WI are right for this time in our country’s history, she’s right to remind us (the bliddy politicians) of the need to work towards consensus without being rude to those whose views we do t share. Apologies for nit quoting HM directly but that’s the message I took from what she said.

luluaugust Fri 25-Jan-19 15:54:06

I wonder if she thought this is such a good opportunity I mustn't miss it. I imagine her keeping very quiet about what she intended to say and now she can sit back and watch the result.

SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 16:41:05

I agree Iam64 she is right to speak of respect and also seeing the ‘bigger picture’.

I saw a film a few years ago of HM serving tea at her WI meeting. Imagine that.

I think she is great.

paddyann Fri 25-Jan-19 17:53:50

the woman has only her own interest at heart ,Remember her "purring" down the phone when Cameron told her the NO vote won in 2014 ? Theres someone who doesn't want HER lifestyle to change regardless of how an entire country is being sidelined and largely ignored .She gives me the boak !! The monarchy should end when she dies .

Of course she 's "great" SPARKLY SHE'S HAD A CHARMED LIFE, all people of her generation should have been treated as well as she has THEY were the ones who fought for her and her hangers on .Many because they had no choice in the matter!

Anniebach Fri 25-Jan-19 18:08:42

paddyann you have a gift for reading minds? You know the queen only has her own interest at heart

I wanted Scotland to stay in the U.K. if you speak for the majority of Scotland I wish you had left the U.K. you hatred of the English is shown in most of your posts.

I didn’t hear the queen purring down the phone, were you being entertained by Cameron when you heard this ?

SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 18:20:50

Well we are supposed to respect each other’s opinions.

I think HM Queen is great and is doing a great job.

Bitterness about others lives gets us nowhere in life I think.

Anniebach flowers

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:31:28

I wanted Scotland to stay in the U.K. if you speak for the majority of Scotland I wish you had left the U.K. you hatred of the English is shown in most of your posts.

No, paddyann doesn't speak for the majority of Scotland Anniebach - if she did they would have left by now.
Thank goodness the majority are not filled with hatred.

Iam64 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:33:51

Grumpy Grumpy Paddyann, your anti English, anti monarchy stance is well displayed in many of your comments. You are of course entitled to your views but maybe you could ponder on Her Maj's suggestion that we all show some respect and listen to point of view we don't always agree with.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:35:44

the woman has only her own interest at heart
If she only had her own interests at heart she would not have accepted the throne in the first place; she would have become a quiet countrywoman, possibly bred horses and spent more time at the WI.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:37:40

paddyann we all know you're upset but please don't take it out on every thread and everything you hate, ie the English, the monarchy, those who voted against Scottish independence etc

Anniebach Fri 25-Jan-19 18:42:40

Not one republican has said who they would support for the presidency. He / she would be wealthy, probably not apolitical, it could be Boris Johnson or John McDonald, or a celebrity

Anniebach Fri 25-Jan-19 18:44:15

paddyann has said as a photographer she took a commission to photograph queenie

annep Fri 25-Jan-19 19:48:06

The thing is we would choose.

Anniebach Fri 25-Jan-19 20:06:11

annep , yes we choose, what difference does it make to your life ? For me it means yet another election, the Queen is in the post because she accepts it is her duty , not because she fancied being queen. If she died tomorrow and it was the end of the monarchy what would change for the better ?
Apart from you wanting to go to the polling booth

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 20:45:45

I have chosen to immerse myself in a culture very different from my own in many ways. I am a white woman (we call it Pakeha here) who takes a very full part in Maori culture.
I meet Maori who are anti-Pakeha because of past injustices which repressed Maori people and culture.
I also meet Pakeha who resent my being a part of Maori tikanga.
My attitude is - you can be pro-Maori without being anti-Pakeha and pro-Pakeha without being anti Maori.

Being bitterly against a whole race of people for the faults of a few can eat at your soul and the only person it affects is you.

Floradora9 Fri 25-Jan-19 21:38:19

I started this thread to give everyone a bit of a giggle , how wrong I was .

Deedaa Fri 25-Jan-19 22:43:54

If the Queen's death was the end of the monarchy I doubt very much if the people would have much say in who was President or whatever. We would vote for a,party and be stuck with whoever they chose. The average worker wouldn't be any better off .

Deedaa Fri 25-Jan-19 22:46:47

Floradora9 a girl I knew had a chat with the Queen at Sandringham (she didn't realise who it was at first!) and she said she was lovely.