Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen at the WI

(104 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 25-Jan-19 09:46:00

I had to smile at the thought of her majesty attending a WI meeting , I know she has been a member for years but the thought of her taking along her home baking to be judged and her cup for tea. What catagory of competition might she win ?

Anniebach Mon 28-Jan-19 09:01:28

I feel the same Iam

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:46:02

Thanks

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 08:18:14

Look up Compass progressive politics..that should get you there.

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:14:45

PECS I shall google 'common ground' and 'more in common' and see if I can find local groups like the ones you mention.
I hope it will cheer my feelings of despondence about politics locally, nationally and internationally!

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 08:01:29

It is a thought provoking line sparkly but not one I can support 100%. Whilst it is shallow to judge people entirely on success or failure and we are all more than those surely some success and failure is about who we are and our approach to life? That is whst we discuss on GN ad infinitum!

SparklyGrandma Mon 28-Jan-19 07:31:41

Jalima1108 that’s a great poem and very worthwhile advice.

My favourite line mentions treating success and failure as imposters both.

Jalima1108 Sun 27-Jan-19 19:44:19

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

Etc
www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/rudyard-kipling.html

Jalima1108 Sun 27-Jan-19 19:42:46

I always think that the Queen is a very sensible woman PECS

varian Sun 27-Jan-19 14:09:44

The previous most prominent person who said "we have more in common than that which divides us" was the late Jo Cox MP who was stabbed in the street by a brexit supporter. It is just as well HM is well protected.

PECS Sun 27-Jan-19 14:03:56

The queen did say sensible things at the WI. ! She does not want to be sovereign of a divided nation. And yes would be good if we all followed her advice. I wonder if she is,as frustrated as many of us are at the total mess we are currently in.
"As we look for new answers in the modern age, I for one prefer the tried and tested recipes, like speaking well of each other and respecting different points of view; coming together to seek out the common ground; and never losing sight of the bigger picture."

Looking for the "more in common" or "common ground" is a small but growing political movement. There is an active group locally. I have been to their meetings and debates. It is about putting partisan loyalties behind and trying to ' progress' issues to positive conclusions based on common ground.

Jabberwok Sun 27-Jan-19 13:49:12

merlotgran ?????!!

merlotgran Sun 27-Jan-19 13:40:12

Maybe she has issued the palace kitchens with 'Keep Calm and Carry On' fridge magnets.

Mine says, 'Keep Calm - Drink Gin!' grin

Floradora9 Sun 27-Jan-19 13:35:05

Good idea GrannyLondon.

GrannyLondon Sun 27-Jan-19 13:09:46

Hi Floradora9,are you still there? Is there a catagory for pouring oil on troubled water? Perhaps she could win that.

NotTooOld Sat 26-Jan-19 22:37:11

Good on the Queen! We need someone to inject some common sense into the whole Brexit mess. I think it's great that she goes along to a WI meeting and great that she speaks out - albeit it within her royal limitations.

GrumpyGran8 Sat 26-Jan-19 21:11:05

It's up to those of the Republican party ( SNP )
EllanVannin Although the SNP have lots of Republican members, they have no official position on republicanism.

Anniebach Sat 26-Jan-19 21:06:56

GrumpyGran I have always believed he lied, no PM speaks of what the queen says yet he said that knowing cameras were very close.

GrumpyGran8 Sat 26-Jan-19 21:01:56

Remember her "purring" down the phone when Cameron told her the NO vote won in 2014
We have no idea of what she actually said in that conversation, or how she said it. We only have Cameron's version of it; "purring" was his description. He, of course, would want everyone to think that she had been hoping for a No vote.
I live in Scotland and while I'm no monarchist paddyann certainly doesn't speak for me. If we have to have a monarch, this one is probably one of the better ones.

Anniebach Sat 26-Jan-19 20:13:09

She usually leaves Sandringham after 6th February so she will have a break then ?

EllanVannin Sat 26-Jan-19 20:08:09

I bet the Queen enjoys a break like a visit to the WI if only to get Philip from under her feet. I bet he's a pest hahaha.

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 17:22:43

Er a Scottish king took over the English crown. James VI of Scotland and Ist of England. Lots of Scots peppered the Westminster Parliament for centuries. We're blended together irreparably. Fine by me.

Anniebach Sat 26-Jan-19 13:26:49

Plaid Cymru has 8,000 members, 4 seats in Westminster
10 of the 60 seats in the Assembly and 202 of 1264 local councils , hardly likely to bring in republicism are they ?

The population of Wales is over 3 million

annep Sat 26-Jan-19 13:25:16

and thank you.

annep Sat 26-Jan-19 13:24:54

Just saw your comment Jalima.
lol.

annep Sat 26-Jan-19 13:23:19

Perhaps people could research how the monarchy acquired their wealth. But really people have their beliefs and its just going round in circles. I'm an ardent Republican but I don't see the point in being aggressive about it. And I have to acknowledge that some people see many benefits and are quite happy as things are. Life's too short to keep debating it (imo)! I hope you all have a good weekend. I shall attempt to get up now and potter about and make husbands lunch.?