Gransnet forums

Chat

Age difference

(120 Posts)
Annaram1 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:13:44

I go to church irregularly. perhaps once or twice a month. Recently I noticed that a much younger man in a seat just across the aisle from me kept looking at me during the service and he also smiled in a friendly way. I pretended not to notice. The next time I went he did the same thing. I often go to the after service coffee which is held in the church hall. This time he came in and sat at my table and introduced himself. He is Italian and has recently moved to the area. He is tall and quite attractive, lovely dark greying hair, and good teeth. And a very sexy accent.
We had a good chat about all sorts of things. He hasn't asked me out but now I am a bit nervous that he will. I would not know what to say. He is at least 15 years younger than I am. What would others do in my situation?

Annaram1 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:59:07

Ramblingrose, he said his wife died a couple of years ago, and he took early retirement and came to England where his daughters live.
He dresses beautifully and drives a nice car.
I think he is better off than I am.

Theoddbird Thu 07-Feb-19 10:00:25

I am 68. I go on daring sites. I would not go out with someone younger than 60. Friendship is different though. Have you asked other church goers what they know about him?

GabriellaG54 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:01:07

beat say blush

NannyEm Thu 07-Feb-19 10:01:30

I know one gentleman who used to do the rounds of churches looking for ladies. He finally found the right church and the right person .......... He married the lady minister. Works for some!

Granstender Thu 07-Feb-19 10:05:24

Well said GabriellaG. Life is too short for us all to be over suspicious. Being sensible is enough. Best of luck!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:09:45

What are your gut feelings? They're usually to be trusted. Look before you leap would be my advice but why not enjoy getting to know a new friend, it doesn't have to lead to romance if you're not interested in a new partner.

Gelisajams Thu 07-Feb-19 10:14:41

Keep your wits about you and just go with the flow! Don’t over think it.

seadragon Thu 07-Feb-19 10:17:23

Enjoy!....while staying safe in ways others have suggested. I have had many male friends over the years, one in particular was much younger than I. This one could have gone further had I not been married. It stopped when I realised he reminded me of my husband as a young man and I put the feelings back where they belonged.... DH knew about ALL my friendships too....

MawBroon Thu 07-Feb-19 10:20:21

Italian men are known to be very good to their mothers so I am sure you will be safe enough with him, subject to sensible precautions on your part regarding meeting in public places etc.
As you are a writer, who knows, this could give you the plot for another novel? grin

Craftycat Thu 07-Feb-19 10:28:43

My DH is 13 years younger than me.
Vive la Difference!
We're unbeatable at pop quizzes!

CardiffJaguar Thu 07-Feb-19 10:35:26

If you'd like some male company then go for it BUT if he ever asks for money dump him quick.

Annaram1 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:39:49

MawBroon, thank you for your suggestion. I am now into my second book but who knows, the next one could be about age difference.

inishowen Thu 07-Feb-19 10:44:21

My brother married a woman 15 years younger. Sadly the marriage didn't work out. Mainly because he already had two children and she was young enough to want her own children. I don't think this problem will arise with you!

sodapop Thu 07-Feb-19 10:45:53

Go for it annaram just enjoy his company and be sensible. Don't over think this, we are all entitled to some fun in life. Good luck

Sheilasue Thu 07-Feb-19 10:47:49

Ooo the gigalo, go for it, age is just a number.
My gd is 18 her bf is 28 what can I say.

Aepgirl Thu 07-Feb-19 10:48:13

If you don’t want him, send him to me!

Lorelei Thu 07-Feb-19 10:53:44

As others have posted, I'd be careful, not just of this guy but anyone new in your life - I'd take things slowly whether it was a friendship or any other sort of relationship. That said, maybe he is new to the area and looking to make friends, maybe he saw you as the most approachable of the group or maybe he is attracted to you. You say you look younger than your age - perhaps he does too. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about any potential age gap as a lot of people have great relationships with quite big age differences - if you get on well, can trust each other, have common interests or can accept each doing their own chosen activities/hobbies etc then why worry about age? I'm only 5 years older than my partner of 30+ years and am glad I worked through initial doubts/worries. Just keep your guard up but allow yourself to be happy, to make new friends, and who knows, maybe a relationship with a good-looking, sexy-voiced Italian. Good luck if you do go on a date.

Annaram1 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:54:04

I only go to church once or twice a month, Church is for religious reasons not for dating. I am wondering whether to go on Sunday. If I do, my friends will think it is because of Mario. If I don't, he may well find someone better....

Decisions, decisions!

DotMH1901 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:55:25

Wait and see if he does ask you out - but, as others have already said, just be careful and, if the conversation turns to loans of money or similar, step away and don't get involved any further.

red1 Thu 07-Feb-19 10:55:55

there is a general rule than max 10 years differencein age gap is ok,there are lots of exceptions of course. ive a friend who is 70 im 63, could the friendship turn into a relationship? I don't know .with a bigger age gap,you came from a different era.i think relationships are hard enough why make it more difficult? also he has only smiled and had a chat with you,why
do you think he wants more?

Buddly Thu 07-Feb-19 11:13:45

Go for it and enjoy yourself. Life’s too short.
You must let us know how you go on.

sandelf Thu 07-Feb-19 11:19:18

Don't let the friends sit and gossip! Introduce him, tell him a little something about each person - and introduce him to others you know at church.- Tell them what you know about him etc - keep it open, light and friendly. Then - when you know a bit more about him, and he knows about you and your life... IF it develops into a closer friendship fine. THE RULES still apply whatever your ages. If you have never read it read it now - how to have a happy life, be a nice person, and keep yourself safe.

JanaNana Thu 07-Feb-19 11:21:38

I tend to go by my gut instinct, if yours tells you he seems an ok sort of man, then continue the friendship and see where it leads. Really age is just a number if you are mentally in tune with each other. You could find that a romance blossoms from this or just good friendship.

Lancslass1 Thu 07-Feb-19 11:26:37

Just play it by ear.
Good luck.

nannypiano Thu 07-Feb-19 11:27:19

If you own your own property, be very careful. He might be looking for a roof over his head. I'm not saying it's a given but say no if this is the case. A partner as such does not need to live with you for long these days before they have some entitlement to the shared property. But good luck. I hope he is genuine.