Gransnet forums

Chat

Age difference

(120 Posts)
Annaram1 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:13:44

I go to church irregularly. perhaps once or twice a month. Recently I noticed that a much younger man in a seat just across the aisle from me kept looking at me during the service and he also smiled in a friendly way. I pretended not to notice. The next time I went he did the same thing. I often go to the after service coffee which is held in the church hall. This time he came in and sat at my table and introduced himself. He is Italian and has recently moved to the area. He is tall and quite attractive, lovely dark greying hair, and good teeth. And a very sexy accent.
We had a good chat about all sorts of things. He hasn't asked me out but now I am a bit nervous that he will. I would not know what to say. He is at least 15 years younger than I am. What would others do in my situation?

Annaram1 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:53:41

Yes, I went to church, and so did he. Chatting over coffee afterwards it seems he had a bad cold the Sunday before so that is why he did not turn up. I also found out that he is 64, so not as young as I thought. So far he has not asked me out, I live in hopes!!! The other ladies I used to sit with must wonder why I go to church more now.

Jonna Sun 17-Feb-19 13:12:09

I’m 56 my wife is 30 and we’re often taken for mother and daughter, she's younger than my youngest. We’ve known each other for ten years, been together for nine and married for seven. Our families and friends have no problems with our relationship but some people are shocked when we’re introduced and they then learn that we're married. It doesn’t bother us, age is just a number. What I’m trying to say is that if you feel comfortable about seeing him and aren’t worried about other people’s reactions then go for it, but be cautious.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 17:45:12

Will you go to church tomorrow Annaram?

Annaram1 Sat 16-Feb-19 17:25:09

I feel inspired by so many success stories. Last Sunday he did not turn up. I don't know why.
As for the suggestion about introducing him to my coffee table friends, I think he would be very embarrassed and intimidated by 4 elderly ladies. plus me.

Nannywinks60 Fri 15-Feb-19 18:07:51

My husband is 14 years younger then me and we’ve been together 14 years I’m nearly 59 and we have a great relationship, age is just a number,

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:18:34

Yes, I think we have given our advice and hope it helps Annaram1

MissAdventure Sat 09-Feb-19 15:09:19

Oops. Sorry, Annaram. blush

Annaram1 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:00:20

Perhaps those wanting to chat about TV stars might like to start their own thread.

Annaram1 Sat 09-Feb-19 14:59:04

Atqui, thanks for your suggestion. Mario smiled at me across the aisle and followed me to the church hall and sat at my table. So I am not going to introduce him to my usual coffee friends. Hard cheese to them.

netflixfan Fri 08-Feb-19 20:53:18

My husband is 11 years younger than me. It felt a bit odd at first, but to be honest he was born middle aged! We're very happy. Go for it!!

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 16:24:35

Oh yes! I know her face very well. smile

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:08:27

Yes, she's always good!

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:04:13

Just looked her up - her name is Helen Fraser.

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 15:41:04

MissAdventure - I did look her up once and it seems she had her biggish role in early 2000s as a wicked prison warden in a women's prison drama, I think it was called Bad Girls , but its not something I watched.

She actually pops up again in Rising Damp playing different character - she is the new bride wearing the pink carnation in the pub who Rigsby mistakenly thinks is his blind date.

Annaram1 Fri 08-Feb-19 15:36:20

I am not entirely ignorant of how Italian men behave, as my own sister married one. I'm not sure why as he was not particularly good looking, smoked a lot, and was also quite short, and she was a very pretty girl who always had a lot of boyfriends. They had 2 boys and Tony made them go to Italian language school on Saturday mornings, which they resented. As Tony grew older he and my sister fought a lot, He was very critical of her appearance and the way she dressed, especially as she put on a bit of weight. They had massive fights and even threw things at each other. She pointed out a dent in the ceiling caused by a chair he threw at her (missed, thankfully!) I am not saying Italian men are necessarily like this and of course millions of men of any nationality are not to our liking are they? She left him after about 15 years, but remained "friends" because of the boys. Anyway Tony died of a heart attack in his early 60s and since then my sister is always saying what a lovely man he was!!! I will be on my guard if anything more comes of the Mario affair...

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 15:24:21

I shall keep my eye open for her.
Its nice when a familiar face pops up.
I wonder if she aspired to bigger roles?

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 15:09:06

Yes, there is so much pathos in the characters' lives. That's why it has stood the test of time.

I love some the 'guest stars' they have in individual episodes. Particularly the actress who plays the post lady in the Boxing Day episode who hand delivers Rigsby's one and only Christmas card, (which Rogsby has actually sent to himself), reluctantly turns down a kiss under the Mistletoe because it would be 'tampering with the royal mail' then later goes back to visit Rigsby for the kiss only for the milkman to intervene and give her a kiss instead.

I can't remember the actress's name but she crops up a lot in really sweet one off parts in comedies such as Arthur's nymph sister in On the Buses Boxing Day special episode and ends up snogging Reg Varney on the bus, and she also plays a clueless doctor in One Foot in the Grave. I love seeing her in these little one off parts.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 14:59:44

I think as a child you can't appreciate the nuances of the comedy, (especially when your toes hurt!) and that's what a lot of it was.
That kind of bitter/sweet, gentle look at life through the eyes of the lonely. smile

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:54:34

Yes, I remember this existentialist dread feeling all Sunday evening, thinking oh no its school Monday morning! So anything shown on TV on Sunday evenings got tarred with that feeling.

I feel so sorry for Miss Jones, she is so sweet. I am always so happy when she gets a boyfriend.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 14:52:01

The same for me.
Sunday evenings were when we had a bath, our ears cleaned out, and our toenails cut so short we limped for the next week.
Plus, the worst of it - school the next day! Yuk!

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:49:39

Frances de le Tour and Leonard Rossiter are wonderful, and Beckinsale and Don Warrington.

I remember not really liking it when it was on in the 70s or 80s, perhaps because it was on Sunday evenings and horrible thinking about Mondays.

Now they are showing it on ITV3 and I think its wonderful. Have been binge watching it on the ITV player app.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 14:45:55

Oh I love rising damp!
"Ooh miss Jones!"

IreneAdler2 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:37:41

'Keep your hand on your ha'penny.'

I was just watching an episode of Rising Damp and Leonard Rossiter said that phrase to Bekinsale smile

Atqui Fri 08-Feb-19 11:18:16

But Annaraml. I wish you well ( sincerely)

Atqui Fri 08-Feb-19 11:16:52

Gabriella smile I wish! I guess it boils down to self esteem of which I’m in short supply re body image.