(67 Posts)
Rufus2 Thu 14-Feb-19 10:16:23

MANCHESTER CITY 6
Chelsea 0

How Good is That? grin

Jane10 Thu 14-Feb-19 10:28:15

Oh. Do you mean football? Yawn. grin

gillybob Thu 14-Feb-19 10:59:21

I really don't care about those teams that simply buy themselves to the top of the table but I was thrilled with.....

Newcastle United 2
Man City 1

Having said that 6-0 is crazy ? Did Chelsea play their under 11's team I wonder? grin

Teetime Thu 14-Feb-19 11:04:21

Well my SIL and GS will be celebrating that too Rufus2 and anything that gives my GS pleasure is OK by me even if DH huffs and puffs - unless of course its Spurs. Me? Couldn't give a rats! smile

Rufus2 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:41:09

Oh. Do you mean football? Yawn. grin
Jane10; Of course not! The thread is titled "Soccer" so as not to be confused with an Aussie game called "Footy" where by teams of 18 a side spend half the game handballing. I'm not afraid to say I've been to only one game, just after we arrived 50 years ago when Victoria beat W.A. about 257 to 15 and that was considered exciting! Thankfully soccer is taking over. grin

Rufus2 Thu 14-Feb-19 11:46:06

Teetime; What went wrong? you've stood me up over the Valentine's Ball! Did you lose your dance card or tear it up? sad

Teetime Thu 14-Feb-19 12:12:56

Oh dear (blushes prettily) still hungover from my birthday on 12th!!

BlueSapphire Fri 15-Feb-19 20:51:32

Only interested if it's rugby....

boat Fri 15-Feb-19 22:50:01

Rugby. Isn't that the game where everybody runs a few yards and then they all fall over?

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:24:20

Only interested if it's rugby
BlueSapphire: Then what are you doing here then? shock Soccer might look like rugby at times, but not when elite teams like City are playing.! grin
I was thrilled
Gillybob; and so you should be, but this thread was dedicated to anti-Chelsea, shortly to be anti-Scouse. Not to be anti-City! I'm disappointed you had to bring that up. City's cunning plan was to help Newcastle's St. James's Park stay on the EPL touring itinerary for next season; never been there, but it must be a pretty venue! grin Actually I was very crook with your "Magpies", but then remembered they're Geordies, so their accent would be nowhere near as melodious as our Aussie mags! Watch out for "The Bluebirds"! grin

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 10:29:49

With you there BlueSapphire grin

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 10:33:16

Sorry to disappoint Rufus. I’m not “anti-City” just anti buying your way to the top....... which is why I follow Sunderland (grin) .

Teetime Sat 16-Feb-19 10:36:27

Anyone remember the Billy Connelly sketch the two Nigels (father and son) discussing football;-
Son: Does Jesus play for Tottenham Hotspur daddy?
Father: In a way, you know, he does?

DH never tires of me asking this on match day!!! grin

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:08:25

which is why I follow Sunderland (grin)
Gillybob; Sorry to hear that ! You have my sympathy! sad I see they drew with "Stanley"; who are they when they're at home?
As you know, the game has changed out of sight and the EPL is world-wide TV entertainment. Not much room for talent scouts picking up promising local lads for development by clubs as of yore. If you still hanker for the old kick-and-rush stuff you'll still find it in your local park I would imagine. No1 I much prefer the bought-in style as exemplified by City and others. Pure soccer skill! grin

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:18:04

: Does Jesus play for Tottenham Hotspur
Teetime; You've lost me! confused I know of a Gabriel Jesus playing for M/c City, but what has Billy Connelly got to do with anything?

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:31:25

With you there BlueSapphire
Maw; You've definitely got a crush on me! grin Who would have thought you'd stalk me into a thread about soccer? I thought I'd be free of all the chatter about MILs, DILs, SILS and Dills, which is where you'd prefer to be, surely? Otherwise I'll have to go down the pub for some peace and quiet! grin OoRoo

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 11:44:51

The thing is Rufus teams such as Sunderland have brilliant academies where they bring in youngsters from aged 7 . Once they make it to the big time they are head hunted by greedy agents seeing ££££ for themselves and not necessarily thinking about the young players welfare. Okay so it worked out for Jordan Pickford the hero of the World Cup born and bred in Sunderland and taken on by the academy at a very young age.... not sure it will turn out quite as well for young Josh Maja who has been persuaded to leave Sunderland where he played in the first team . He is now sitting on the bench at Bordeaux and the word on the street is that he did not want to leave yet (he’s still only 20) . Let’s hope he doesn’t end a very promising career sitting on the bench at some wealthy team like Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham etc. who can afford to keep him sitting on the shelf like a spare part.

The teams such as Accrington Stanley die to play at Sunderland with their capacity crowds and state of the art ground .

BlueBelle Sat 16-Feb-19 11:50:30

It’s NOT soccer it’s Football or footie No one goes to a Soccer match!!!

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 12:03:14

FFS Rufus can’t I post anywhere without your stupid suggestive innuendos?
All I can say is You should be so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky) ?

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 13:17:39

FFS Rufus can’t I post anywhere without your stupid suggestive innuendos?
Maw; So sorry! grin Not for the first time have I misread a girl's signals and been chastised, but more in a manner befitting a lady.! grin
Come on Maw! It's supposed to be a light hearted thread, about soccer would you believe, so polish up your funny bone! smile OoRoo

Rufus2 Sat 16-Feb-19 13:30:41

No one goes to a Soccer match
BlueBelle; Wrong! grin They do here! Why do you think the Aussie National team is called the "Socceroos"?
Because there's a well entrenched football game known as "Footy", similar to Gaelic football, and we don't want confusion.

Jane10 Sat 16-Feb-19 15:03:02

Its never called soccer in the UK! Maybe you've been in Oz too long.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Feb-19 17:27:28

I m not in Aussie Rufus and in Uk it’s called FOOTBALL no one calls it soccer my grandson plays FOOTBALL for the county in NZ my other grandson also plays FOOTBALL neither have ever mentioned Soccer to me
I think that US and maybe Aussieland but not UK

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 17:43:01

Rufus2
I tried to put this in a pm but apparently you are not accepting them.
I do realise you think you are just being lighthearted but the pain of losing DH is still too recent for me to be able to laugh it off.
Apologies if I am being over sensitive but you will understand how I feel.

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 21:07:54

Actually I don’t think I need to apologise for anything.
This sort of suggestive banter is ill judged and inappropriate and in the same way that women in past times might have had to put up with inappropriate comments or behaviour, it is not the fault of the person on the receiving end, is it?