Gransnet forums

Chat

Poor Boy

(29 Posts)
lincolnimp Mon 25-Mar-19 12:52:41

It really wasn't his day
Perhaps even his first day on the tills.

I went into out local M&S food hall for some bits and pieces.
I noticed that the lady two places in front of me was having a discussion with the young man on the tills as she paid him with some bank notes.

Lady in front of me paid using contactless.

Now it is my turn---
I had cash as I had been tasked with paying in a charity collection. I had done a bank transfer from my account to the relevant charity account, so had lots of cash.

Looking at the amount required, £37.51, I counted out £30 in notes, gave it to the boy
£6 in 50p and £1 coins , gave it to him,
£1.51 in an assortment of 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p coins plus 1p.

He sat and looked at me.
"How much have you given me?"
"£37.51"
Looking at his till---"But I need £42.01"

I pointed out that the customer information indicator informed me that the total was £37.51 (I knew that there had been some offers, so final total less than initial total.)

"oh, oh yes"
As I began to take my bags to leave, he sat looking at the money in his hand and said

"How much have you given me?"

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!

crazyH Fri 29-Mar-19 20:40:42

Oh dear ....don't waft if this way ohmother ?

crazyH Fri 29-Mar-19 20:41:04

It

Daisyboots Fri 29-Mar-19 23:11:04

Maths has always been my strong point so no wonder i started work in a bank and then went on to train as an accountant. My first Saturday job was as a gofer in the local Liptons grocery store. The manager was Irish and he used to get me to add up the huge lists of figures in the ledgers. The times he said I had got it wrong and would start adding verbally saying tree and turty instead of three and thirty trying to get me muddled. I know he was fiddling the books by adding them up wrongly but as a 14 year old I couldn't say anything.