Gransnet forums

Chat

Freeview/ Freesat Tv

(47 Posts)
Lindylou23 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:29:10

Now we are retired I am cancelling SKY and looking for recommendations to replace with Freeview, I am looking for one that pauses and records. And any tips on what I should look for when buying one many thanks

pita Sat 30-Mar-19 12:09:46

We bought a Humax Freesat box which does everything the sky box used to do as it uses the sky dish and cable there is no extra cost involved other than the Humax box. We also use Netflix which costs £7.99 per month through the same box. So a much better deal in the long term than sky.

Mrsdof Sat 30-Mar-19 12:10:38

We would also love to do away with Sky but my OH and I are big Spurs fans and have Sky Sports and also pay extra for BT Sports. Do any of the freeview/freestat etc. offer Sports as well? Rarely get a chance to go to matches so watch all the live games on TV.

Teacheranne Sat 30-Mar-19 12:11:39

I have a smart TV which connects to my broadband so I can use it to watch Freeview and access catch up TV and Netflicks ( using my sisters subscription). I then record programmes using a basic digital recorder which I bought from a supermarket. I think I paid less than £50. I can pause programmes through that device as well.

So, after the initial cost of buying a new TV ( my old one was years old and faulty) I do not pay any monthly costs.

ruthiek Sat 30-Mar-19 12:35:26

I would get rid of Sky tomorrow but DH loves his football which costs us massively

Willow10 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:36:29

Another fan of BT Humax - record, pause and rewind.

Kate51 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:48:21

We also got rid of sky , bought a humax freesat box, it is linked to our sky dish. Records, including series links, gives access to BBC I player ITV I player etc. Also with Netflix £7.99 a month. If you buy the box after the initial cost no monthly payments.would never vote back to sky.

Kate51 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:49:16

Sorry, would never go back to sky is what that should have said.

icanhandthemback Sat 30-Mar-19 12:56:35

We are doing the same with Virginmedia. Increasing prices but poorer service has pointed us in this direction. Right now, as I type, we have no Catch Up Service or OnDemand TV, it is just a joke.
We have purchased a Humax Freeview Play box and a new arial. We just have to get round to setting it up!

grannybuy Sat 30-Mar-19 13:51:20

We have free sat with a Humax box. Absolutely fine for recording.

rascal Sat 30-Mar-19 14:27:57

I cancelled Sky years ago and changed to Freesat. Its great as it has all the channels I would want. Also no monthly charge as its all free. I would recommend it. Can't get Freeview here. smile

Grampie Sat 30-Mar-19 15:25:43

FreeSat

And no bills.

But we also invested £7.50 in a Roku gizmo to make our TV smarter giving us access to all the catch up TV.

kathyd Sat 30-Mar-19 16:00:47

I have had a Humax for years and now have a later model which records two programmes at the same time and allows you to watch one of your own recordings at the same time.
I record a lot because I don't necessarily want to watch when it is on. Also, I like to whizz through adverts.
It's very useful for series although sometimes it;s at the last episode before I get around to watching the first.

25Avalon Sat 30-Mar-19 17:21:52

When I cancelled with Sky they came back after a couple of weeks and reduced their prices but not sufficiently for me to take it up. After 3 months they came back and offered me sky for free for 3 months and then half price for another 9 months after that. I took them up. They may come back to you in 3 months time with an offer too good to turn down. Don't forget to cancel at the end of the cheap rates!!
My dh likes sports so included in my package is Sky sports which used to be free and BT Sports for free on a deal with our broadband.

Boolya Sat 30-Mar-19 17:24:17

Humax - they do Freesat so it connects to your dish that's already there I guess. The also do Freeview. Just make sure you check how many cables go into your Sky box (1 or 2) and match it. We ditched Sky a couple of years ago - we just don't watch enough TV to justify the expense. I do occasionally subscribe to Netflix if there something coming up that I really want to see and then unsubscribe at the of the series.

Shizam Sat 30-Mar-19 18:11:02

I refused to get sky on point of principle against Murdoch. Freeview is ok. Have a dvd recorder. Do miss out on some programmes. But I’m standing firm! Rumours are sky are after horse racing rights. Which will really infuriate me.

Marianne1953 Sat 30-Mar-19 18:37:18

Freesat is excellent and now tv that has sky entertainment at £2.63 per month on a 3 month offer and can cancel anytime. The actual price varies to about £8/month, however, evertime we cancel it after the offer, they give us the original offer, we have been doing that for about a year now. They are not recordable, but are box sets that can be watched anytime, e.g. games of thrones, Westworld. You can record the Freesat programs.

Lindylou23 Sun 31-Mar-19 04:44:06

Thank you for all your comments, I thought I would need a new aerial, but from reading answers, am I right in thinking I can connect to my sky dish?

SueDoku Sun 31-Mar-19 08:36:54

I've got a Humax box (I have Freesat, but they work with Freeview too). It's great - all the features of a Sky box, and once you've purchased it, there's no subscription. It pays for itself within a year..!

Badenkate Sun 31-Mar-19 08:57:51

Yes lindylou23, that's exactly what we did, and there was no problem at all connecting the humax box to the sky dish.

Marg123 Sun 31-Mar-19 11:16:56

I have a BT Youview. All the usual functions record etc. Plus some extra internet programmes.

NanaMacGeek Sun 31-Mar-19 15:31:54

I think this may be a useful link:-
www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/freeview-or-freesat-which-one-is-better