Gransnet forums

Chat

Being a moany cow!

(117 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:32:10

Today while supermarket shopping the checkout lady threw my items past her till far faster than I could possibly pack them. They were piling up on my hands as I tried to put stuff away. I asked her three times to slow down but she ignored me. After she told me the price I was still frantically trying to pack my food into my bags. She drummed her fingers as I did that. There was only one person behind me. No great pressure from them. I was so cross. I'm not slow at packing (or asking her to slow down!)
It's a shop I'm in twice a week and always have pleasant checkout staff. Many elderly people shop there too.
Reader - I complained about her to the manager I met on my way out. Was I being a moany cow?

Nico97 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:52:16

No you weren't Jane10. If she couldn't take the hint after three requests then she needs telling, and hopefully her Manager will do just that.

sodapop Sat 30-Mar-19 13:54:02

Not a moany cow at all Jane10 I sometimes think that supermarkets staff feel the place is run for their convenience and not that of the customer. It's a different story here in France where the staff stop to chat about things to customers. Both scenarios can be equally annoying I suppose.

wildswan16 Sat 30-Mar-19 14:03:50

There is one particular supermarket where the checkout staff have obviously been told they HAVE to carry on a conversation with the customer. So whilst trying to pack my shopping I have to reply to "do you need any help packing", "how are you today", "are you doing anything interesting later on", "is it getting any warmer outside", etc etc.

Actually I'm trying to concentrate, watching the prices, not squashing my squashables, trying to remember my pin number, trying to keep up with the items landing in front of me etc etc.

A simple smile, a hello and thank you would be lovely.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Mar-19 14:12:54

Maybe up North here they're more considerate ? I haven't ever come across anyone unhelpful at my local Asda.

I might give them short shrift if I did though !

leyla Sat 30-Mar-19 14:14:45

I wonder if its the same supermarket chain I use...I find it v annoying. They also wear headsets and chat with (presumably) other members of staff the whole time they are serving - I find it v confusing as I think they are speaking to me so I keep saying 'pardon??'!

BlueBelle Sat 30-Mar-19 14:22:56

A bit different but today a friend and I went for a coffee they often do a lovely spicy soup at the large busy cafe, which wasn’t on view today so I asked the very bored looking assistant who was gazing into the distance if they had any of their spicy soup she literally shouted ‘Whaaat’ missing the end t off I repeated my request and was told ‘no’ just that, no ‘sorry’ or we only do that on certain days just that,... no
I bought a coffee which was reluntenly shoved over with no mention that the milk/cream was in a different area and the spoons and paper serviettes another area altogether
Wont bother going back again

Gonegirl Sat 30-Mar-19 14:26:51

Well come on Jane. Tell us which supermarket it was!

aggie Sat 30-Mar-19 14:29:08

One checkout girl at the store i go to has such a sour look I avoid her till if I can . Imagine my surprise when I gave in and had to check out at her till , she packed for me and said some kind words when i was fumbling for my purse , I try to get her now , but do try to have purse/card at the ready . Some stores prefer you to pack at a counter away from the checkout , having paid of course

crazyH Sat 30-Mar-19 14:30:23

No you weren't....

M0nica Sat 30-Mar-19 15:00:35

Being an awkward person, if I had asked the till lady to slow down and she hadn't. I would have just slowed down and if she had drummed her fingers told her that if she had slowed down as asked she wouldn't need to drum her fingers because I would have been able to pack the goods so much faster as I would have had more space to do it.

Never let anyone get away with trying to intimidate you.

ninathenana Sat 30-Mar-19 15:02:15

Aldi by any chance ? I read they are trained to get you through the till asap. No excuse for rudeness and not listening though.

Cosmos Sat 30-Mar-19 15:12:19

Today I had a librarian who when I asked her something, took fence as it stopped her sitting there and staring into space, my question necessitated her getting up from her chair, which she proceeded to do puffing and scowling, she did what she had to, then flopped down to ponder again, I interrupted her by saying, thank you very much for getting off you chair to help me with my query and doing it with such good grace. If looks could kill I would not be writing this.bibdo hope she us fully rested by now.

ayse Sat 30-Mar-19 15:17:17

Not moany at all and I would have complained as well. I rarely come across rude staff but indifference is another matter. Years ago now in the unemployment benefit office, I had two staff manning the counters as people “signed on”. They were busy chatting to each other. I watched for a bit and waited till they had a break. As part of chatter I introduced the subject of till assistants talking to each other, not their customers. They were fully in agreement that it was not customer friendly. I went on to tell them that they had been doing the very same thing. They were embarrassed but never did that again to my knowledge. I’ve never seen two people go so red!
Yesterday in a well known book shop the table we sat at was very sticky. I went to find a cloth to wipe it and found the two assistants chatting away. I decided they needed to be occupied and asked for the table to be cleaned, which was done. Tables were also cleared.
I dislike intensely rude and unthinking assistants but IMO it is lack of supervision and training that is at fault. I’m not really a dragon but in later life I have become far more assertive but hopefully not rude.

Luckygirl Sat 30-Mar-19 16:26:09

I think you are right to complain. She might do the same to someone who was feeling really vulnerable - I know if someone did that to me right now I would dissolve into tears.

Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:35:02

I usually have really nice check out assistants at that shop and know several by name. One helpfully keeps vouchers back for me if no one wants one. I suppose it was the shock of such a rude one that struck me.

PamelaJ1 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:37:13

Our Aldi staff are lovely. Just redressing the balance nina.
I'm surprised Jane because I can't remember when anyone at any checkout was rude to me. These big stores usually have good training when it comes to customer relations.
You were right to complain.
Are you going to try her again?

Lily65 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:46:03

Aldi staff are under a huge amount of pressure to perform.

Millie22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:49:46

No. I hate being rushed at the checkout and that's why I do online shopping and then just a few favourite things that I go into M and S to get.

ninathenana Sat 30-Mar-19 17:00:55

Lily yes our Aldi staff are cheerful and polite but I always feel rushed by them.

Buffybee Sat 30-Mar-19 17:03:53

At my Supermarket they always ask do I need any bags and then do I need any help with my packing, without fail.
I usually say that I'm fine but can you please take your time for me.
They always do!
You did the right thing to complain about her rude behaviour, I would have also said something to her about ignoring me and her rude finger tapping.
Avoid her in future!

lutongranny Sat 30-Mar-19 17:11:12

well said, there is no need for staff to be rude.

jacq10 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:24:06

I think it depends what supermarket you are in. Aldi and Lidl's are designed for you to pack at the long shelf provided. There are signs asking you to do this and it works. I have stood behind couples making an art of packing their groceries into various sized bags exactly the way they want them and large queues forming. Their checkouts are designed for this and once your goods are past the scanner they should go straight into your trolley and then packed at your leisure at the shelf. At all the other supermarkets around my area the checkout staff always ask if you need help with your packing. Most weekends we also have various fund-raising groups (mainly teenagers) offering to do your packing for a donation. I must admit I prefer to do my own packing and, depending on what they are raising money for, just give them a small contribution.

Eloethan Sat 30-Mar-19 17:24:53

Usually I find that checkout staff are careful and considerate.

I think the woman who served you was rude and unhelpful and such behaviour is not a credit to the shop.

I wouldn't generally report a member of staff but I think I might have said something to her myself and if I got a rude response I would have reported it. I do agree with ayse though that it demonstrates poor management and lack of proper training.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:26:05

No, you were not - and if you were then you were in the right!The media have called it the "Ukipization" of the Tory party
Sometimes a member of staff has rushed my things through at top speed and I've said 'Ooh, I can't keep up with you' whereupon they usually offer to pack some of it for me.

I do remember one person on the till at Morrison's telling me that their particular manager kept an eye on them to make sure they were 'up to speed'. I said if she got into trouble for not being speedy enough to send him to me.